Entering Thailand With Antigua Passport

Planing to spend the rest of my life in Asia (Asian ancestry). After doing some online research I found this forum a few days ago and decided Thailand will suit me better and I could establish a legal residency in Thailand after spending some money.

I have two passports (USA by naturalization and Antigua by donation. Born in Trinidad to Asian-Indian ancestry). I have been travelling in Europe extensively with Antigua passport as most European countries don't require visa for an Antigua passport holder. Also I have substantial money (around two million USD) in an Antigua bank and I could easily take money out from European ATMs using my Antigua ATM card. I also have a few US credit cards from big name banks. I have lived in the USA for almost 40-year. I am 58 now. Though I am eligible for Social Security at 62 (a small pittance) and medicare at 65, I don't want to stay in the USA as I have no family in the USA and I have almost no relation with my extended family in Trinidad for almost 20-year as many migrated to USA, Canada, and UK.

I did the mistake of applying for a US Visa on my Antigua passport and now the state department has linked my US passport to Antigua passport which I was trying to avoid to trace my whereabouts. But it is not a big deal. I am not involved in any criminal activities. I am currently in the US with the Antigua passport (though a US citizen) to liquidate my car, IRAs, bank accounts, etc. I have liquidated  all my fixed assets in the USA. I would like to go to Thailand (my first visit to an Asian country). 

I can get no-visa entry in many Asian countries like Singapore and Malaysia. However, I cant enter Thailand without a visa. So here are my few initial questions. Glad I found this forum for first-hand expertise from experts who live in that part of the world. 

1. What is my best option to get a visa to Thailand using Antigua passport?

2. Any other way I can enter Thailand legally without applying for a visa and not using the USA passport.

3. How easy to establish a legal residency in Thailand? Is the process complex?

3. Can I bring substantial cash (like 100K in US dollars) into Thailand? Is there any limit?

4. Can I access my remaining Antigua bank funds in Thailand using Antigua ATM card?

5. I don't have any criminal records in the USA. Is it better to get an FBI clearance before I come to Thailand?

As my ancestry is Asian Indian, I am also pursuing a residency in India but it is not easy as it requires lots of paperwork to prove my ancestry which are almost impossible to obtain after one hundred years. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

You could apply for a Thai visa at many locations. It depends upon where you are located at now.

If you are Antiqua now you may be able to apply at the honorary Thai consulate in Puerto Rico.

You can apply at about any Thai embassy or consulate with a passport from Antigua unless the location where you apply requires you to be a resident of the country where it is located.

Do you have a ATM/Debit card that is a Mastercard or Visa Card, You can use it at a ATM here or for cash advances.

There is no limiti on the amount of money you can bring into Thailand. If carrying more $15,000 US it has to be declared when entering the country.

2 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

1. What is my best option to get a visa to Thailand using Antigua passport?

You can fly to Hong Kong or Singapore from USA and enter visa exemption in those country using Antigua passport. And then apply for a tourist visa in those countries. That will give you 60-day (can be extended to another 30-day inside Thailand). So we will have 90-day to sort out how to get legal residency in Thailand. 

. Can I bring substantial cash (like 100K in US dollars) into Thailand? Is there any limit?

100K is a little too much, IMO. They may suspect it is drug money, detain and harass you. If I were you, I will put the money in a US bank and then fly to Singapore and Hong Kong and (safe when you have less money), and then get a tourist visa to Thailand. After you enter Thailand, you can empty your bank using ATM cards. Spread 100K in to at least 10 banks in the US (most banks will allow you to open account online and do ACH transfer. May take a few days). But there is a caveat, banks will be able to find you where you're. From your post, I guess you're trying for anonymity. In today's world it is not easy. 

Can I access my remaining Antigua bank funds in Thailand using Antigua ATM card?

If your card says VISA or Master card, no problem getting money form Thai ATMs.

Edited by onera1961
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

100K is a little too much, IMO. They may suspect it is drug money, detain and harass you. If I were you, I will put the money in a US bank and then fly to Singapore and Hong Kong and (safe when you have less money), and then get a tourist visa to Thailand. After you enter Thailand, you can empty your bank using ATM cards. Spread 100K in to at least 10 banks in the US (most banks will allow you to open account online and do ACH transfer. May take a few days). But there is a caveat, banks will be able to find you where you're. From your post, I guess you're trying for anonymity. In today's world it is not easy. 

"100K is a little too much, IMO. They may suspect it is drug money, detain and harass you".

Thankfully that is just your opinion and not that of the Customs Dept.  As there is no legal reason not to bring cash into Thailand and declare it, why would you suggest accusations may be made of "drug money" with susequent detention and harassment?  Geez..

Thanks everybody for your reply. 

I am trying to avoid entering Thailand using the US passport to hide my whereabouts. As the US state department has already linked my US passport with Antigua passport, FBI can always trace me but they won't do it unless there is a criminal case against me. 

A criminal case was filed against me in a federal court that was dismissed by the judge with prejudice. However, my lawyer tells me there is a concerted effort to file a civil case against me in a friendly court where they can stack the jury in their favor for extortion. If they cant obtain my whereabouts, it will be difficult for them to serve a summon. I am trying to make it as difficult as possible to obtain my whereabouts. 

Also, in future I may abandon my US passport (citizenship). There is a substantial tax penalty for doing so. It is not in my immediate plan. My immediate plan is to get a residency in an Asian country. I researched Singapore but it's out of my reach. However, first I will fly to Singapore with 10/20K to check out if it is possible to open a bank account there.

I read that in Thailand one can buy a 20-year residency for 30K USD. This will be perfect for me.. 

Also, I am scared to enter any country with 100K USD as one poster has already mentioned about suspicious of drug money. As I will be entering the country with Antigua passport, I won't have access to US embassy's help in hiring lawyers and all the other associated cost and headaches with that. If lawyers find out two million USD in my Antigua bank account, their rates go up, even in the US. Don't like to squander my money on lawyers in a foreign land.

For right now, I'm mulling over the idea of converting the money into crypto and then reconvert it back to fiat in another country. I'm now researching crypto conversion in Singapore and or Thailand. 

And yes, my Antigua bank's ATM card is a master card (debit).

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

8 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I am trying to avoid entering Thailand using the US passport to hide my whereabouts. As the US state department has already linked my US passport with Antigua passport, FBI can always trace me but they won't do it unless there is a criminal case against me. 

A criminal case was filed against me in a federal court that was dismissed by the judge with prejudice. However, my lawyer tells me there is a concerted effort to file a civil case against me in a friendly court where they can stack the jury in their favor for extortion. If they cant obtain my whereabouts, it will be difficult for them to serve a summon. I am trying to make it as difficult as possible to obtain my whereabouts. 

Also, in future I may abandon my US passport (citizenship). There is a substantial tax penalty for doing so. It is not in my immediate plan. My immediate plan is to get a residency in an Asian country. I researched Singapore but it's out of my reach. However, first I will fly to Singapore with 10/20K to check out if it is possible to open a bank account there.

I read that in Thailand one can buy a 20-year residency for 30K USD. This will be perfect for me.. 

Also, I am scared to enter any country with 100K USD as one poster has already mentioned about suspicious of drug money. As I will be entering the country with Antigua passport, I won't have access to US embassy's help in hiring lawyers and all the other associated cost and headaches with that. If lawyers find out two million USD in my Antigua bank account, their rates go up, even in the US. Don't like to squander my money on lawyers in a foreign land.

For right now, I'm mulling over the idea of converting the money into crypto and then reconvert it back to fiat in another country. I'm now researching crypto conversion in Singapore and or Thailand. 

The 20 year residency you speak of may be the Thai Elite Card... 

Its not residency - it just works as a 20 year tourist visa (4 x5 yearly renewals).

If you are over 50 years old you could also get a retirement visa.

If you've entered Thailand before on your US Passport its quite possible that Thai Immigration link the two based on your key identifiers (Name, DOB, Place of Birth and Photo).

Depends on what you understand under residency. To get real permanent residency you have to work a few years for a Thai company, pay income tax and so on, then go through an extended process, prove that you can speak Thai etc.

But you can stay in Thailand on temporary permits of stay for an theoretically unlimited amount of time, but you have to apply for an extension every year. Depending on which type of visa / extension you use the requirements are more or less difficult. The easiest one is the Thai elite visa for 1 million Thai baht for 20 years (1 year at a time, then extend it)

Edited by jackdd

1 hour ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Cambodia is the place you want to be if the police are actively looking for you. If you do come to Thailand, don't live in Pattaya or Bangkok. 

http://www.wsfa.com/story/22665099/countries-with-no-extradition-treaty-with-us/

sounds like you are good for cash, but you will never be able to get your SS or Medicare. :cheesy:

And make sure you have all your banking set up for transfers that do not involve US banks. 

And now that you are linked, when you use Antigua passport you will show up on CIA FBI DEA etc from inside Thailand. 

How about starting over with a new passport while you can still can, expensive but the are still countries where you invest in real estate with a path towards a passport.  

I'm mulling over the idea of converting the money into crypto and then reconvert it back to fiat in another country.

that or get the money to your final country destination and withdraw it from the bank in cash and buy a big safe. hide the safe in a secure condo and don't let anyone see it.  

also you know about this:

"the Bank Secrecy Act may require you to report the account yearly to the Department of Treasury by electronically filing a Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) 114, Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR).

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/report-of-foreign-bank-and-financial-accounts-fbar

not doing this will put you on a list for arrest. this is MUCH WORSE than a civil suit.

so you know, this and all "visas" and permission to stay require you to report your Thailand address every 90 days to immigration.

this can be done in person or on line. you must also report to immigration when you return to your home town even after traveling within Thailand. Exceptions to this would be if you lived in hotels all the time in which case the hotel will do it for you. 

You have to have a passport to get your SIM card for your cellphone. you cant open a bank account in Thailand without a THAI cellphone.

also Thai drivers license, buy a vehicle, again immigration gets in the act. 

so if you are thinking Thailand is some place where you can just hang out after getting a elite visa or other visas and have little or no contact with immigration you are very wrong. every 90 days you get scrutinized.   

Edited by NCC1701A

3 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Dude you're broadcasting ARREST ME.

First of all, an Antigua passport is commonly know around the world as a Citizenship by investment program and looked upon highly suspiciously by immigration as it's used by international criminals. In some countries expect hard line questioning about your links to Antigua. Can you sing the national anthem? Do you know the government? What's a popular Antiguan food? Name an Antiguan singer. Do you have family there? If so, Why are they not travelling with you? If not, how did you get Antiguan citizenship? Etc etc

Secondly, if you're worried about USA tracking your whereabouts, Thailand is about the LAST country in the world you'd want to visit. They cooperate fully with USA and the FBI, as any number of high profile arrests over the years accounts for that. 

Hambali, Viktor Boot, Roger Clark(the Silk Road), Alexandre Cazes (Alphabay) and so on.

Thirdly, you want to abanon US citizenship but complain about the tax penalty? Then you say Singapore is out of reach?

That tax penalty only starts to apply on net wealth above $2 million. So if you can't afford Singapore, you're probably not going to get hit by the exit tax.

Fourthly, you're worried about travelling around with $100k cash? Then don't. There's no reason to and banks are good at international transfers. On the other hand there's no reason to be worried either as travelling with cash is not illegal - as long as you declare it. 

May I also remind you that regardless of where your assets are when a civil case is brought against you, if you're concealing assets it's a crime. Even transfering money out of the country to avoid civil penalties is considered wire fraud.

So in conclusion, don't waste you're time with all these elaborate "run away" ideas. If the FBI want you, they'll find you. 

But you said you're Indian? And If you still really want to, India is probably one of the better countries to disappear to. I know I had a hard time tracking down debtors in India when I worked in International Collections and most of East Asia is now all police state level of tracking on foreigners anyway.  

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Thanks 1

You don't have a criminal record but you're under investigation or have a court case pending? Firstly, you are asking advice on a site where people can just give you their opinion, they are not "experts". Yes, they might have lived / live in Thailand but each has their own little situation on how they remain here. There are many ways. You will also not find somebody here that easily that lives here on a permanent basis on an Antigua passport. My advice, if you're planning to move somewhere permanently, is to do the homework yourself and find out the best options for you! If you do have that sort of money with you, you will have easier options than the majority here. I don't know what "penalties" there are for renouncing your US Citizenship, but I would do that as soon as possible, maybe fly to EU for a while on the Antigua passport, renounce it there, and move on. Yes, get a criminal clearance before you leave, it will save you the hassle of doing it later if you will need it for something. Also, why would you apply for a US Visa on your Antigua passport if you had a US passport? That is quite silly to be honest. So my advice is to do YOUR homework, do is wisely, and don't do any stupid things. Yes, you can ask for opinions here and maybe some direction, but it's all on you. A lot of times you'll find people on here will contradict each other, the so called "experts". Each and every situation is different, the information is out there, you just need to know how to read. You're a grown ass man, and it sounds like you have a few issues on your plate. Do what is best for YOU!

• Thanks 1

The OP post is confusing or he appears confused. He claims to be a naturalized US citizen, "I did the mistake of applying for a US Visa on my Antigua passport".  Why go and do that? Department of State would never issue issue a visa for a citizen naturalized or otherwise. The Thailand Elite programs visa (PE) visa is just a 5 year multi entry tourist visa, not a legal residence. It does not even give permission for a 5 year driving license or condo Yellow book. Maybe here "legally" but anything other than PR or citizenship, any permit to stay held by a foreigner gives no rights of abode, or residence at all as one can be booted out for any small reason.

How are you going to re-new an Antiguan passport living in Asia for the rest of your life? Maybe you can look more at going to India as an NRI, and perhaps claiming residence or citizenship thru you ancestors? Lots of prejudice against Indians in Thailand.

Edited by Date Masamune
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

he 20 year residency you speak of may be the Thai Elite Card... 

Its not residency - it just works as a 20 year tourist visa (4 x5 yearly renewals).

Yes,  checked their website and says it says it's some kind of elite card not a visa. But what does it mean by it's a tourist. Am I allowed to stay in the country only for a certain number of days? 

9 hours ago, jackdd said:

but you have to apply for an extension every year.

Is it an immigration procedure inside Thailand?

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Cambodia is the place you want to be if the police are actively looking for you. If you do come to Thailand, don't live in Pattaya or Bangkok. 

Police is not looking for me. As I said, the criminal case was dismissed by the judge with prejudice. There is no civil case filed as of yet. My lawyer just gave me a warning that they're shopping for a friendly judiciary. They

are patent trolls want money by extortion. I can delay this with numerous court maneuverings but that involves lawyers and their high fees, my time, court appearance and headache. They  don't access to FBI or Government agencies without a criminal case. However, they have access to all public information that can be fairly accurate to locate me if the price is right. 

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

the Bank Secrecy Act may require you to report the account yearly to the Department of Treasury by electronically filing a Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) 114, Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR).

There is no secrecy and FBAR reporting is done accordingly by my accountant. All taxes paid for the money in Antigua. I still have IRAs and 401K and the taxes will be withheld and paid when I withdraw. It is for patent trolls to throw them at bay not to the Government. The privacy acts protect me to release those information by Government, including my tax filing. 

6 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

In some countries expect hard line questioning about your links to Antigua.

Extensively traveled in more than a dozen European countries without any questioning. Not sure in Asian countries as this will be my first visit to Asian countries. And I will start with Singapore, Hong Kong and Macau where I can enter with Antigua passport without a visa in advance. I cant do so in Thailand. But I will always have the backup of the US passport in case I smell trouble.

6 hours ago, SweetStickyRice said:

You don't have a criminal record but you're under investigation or have a court case pending? 

No investigation by law enforcement authorities and no civil case has been filed yet. With the rise of online activities and the opportunity to make some good money with ideas, patent trolls are active in their extortion scheme in the US. The criminal case against me was dismissed by the judge, they could not even take it to the trial. Now they are after extortion. Remember that whenever you click a button, you're violating somebody's patent (in this case Bezo's patent but he is not a troll to sue everybody who financially benefits from such implementation)

6 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

That tax penalty only starts to apply on net wealth above $2 million.

Good to know. My Accountant will investigate the requirements and tax liability after I pay him his fee in advance. I asked him not to do right now as I'm not in a big hurry and my income is almost negligible this year. Dividend, capital gains etc. in IRAs and 401K are not taxable unless I start withdrawing from them and they already will withhold taxes at the source. I stopped receiving royalty payments and released my clients from further payment obligation. 

5 hours ago, Date Masamune said:

"I did the mistake of applying for a US Visa on my Antigua passport".  Why go and do that? Department of State would never issue issue a visa for a citizen naturalized or otherwise.

As I said it was a mistake because I wanted complete anonymity from patent trolls. State Department will issue a 10-year visa in such case after they link the two passports. When you enter US, immigration computer will pop up that information and they will code it accordingly in your I-94. Immigration officer will also remind you that if you give up US passport (citizenship), your visa is also cancelled and you have to get a new visa to enter again. Of course, embassy and consulate will discourage you do that and if you happen to have only one non-USA passport, they will even issue a new passport. I did not know a prior.

Hope this clarify my situation. I'm not an NRI (non-resident Indian). NRIs are people who hold Indian passports but work in a foreign country. I've Indian ancestry. My great grand father migrated to Trinidad as an indentured labor under British rule. I am still eligible for an OCI card (sort of permanent residency in India without  voting rights) but for that I have to provide evidence of my great grand father's birth in India and it is not easy. I am still exploring that opportunty

1 hour ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Yes,  checked their website and says it says it's some kind of elite card not a visa. But what does it mean by it's a tourist. Am I allowed to stay in the country only for a certain number of days? 

Not sure which website you checked since their are some fake ones. This is the official website. https://www.thailandelite.com/?locate=en

It is not just a membership card. You get a 5 year multiple entry visa that allows unlimited one year entries (permit to stay) up to the date it expires. For the 20 year membership you would be issued a total of 4 visas.

If you don't want to leave the country for more than a year you can apply for a one year extension at a immigration office by showing your visa and paying a fee of 1900 baht.

On 3/22/2019 at 2:28 AM, ubonjoe said:

Not sure which website you checked since their are some fake ones. This is the official website. https://www.thailandelite.com/?locate=en

Thanks for this link. I called them and the rep explained me the program. It is a visa I get at the airport or in immigration office in Bangkok unlike embassy visa. It is good for twenty years but some processing is to be done every year in an immigration office located in Bangkok. They are willing to help me when needed. 

I also scanned some of the titles in visa section of this forum and it seems lots of people are denied entry at the airport I asked about that and she assured me I that would never be denied entry with the membership. I believe she convinced me that is the way to go for 20-year legal residency in Thailand. She also said they can process with an Antigua passport and Antigua address and they will assist me in opening a Bank account in Thailand. But the processing can take up to three months for approval. I am going to apply on Monday. 

I was able to apply for an an Ally Bank account checking and IRA account using my US SS number and Antigua address.  Next week I will request my 401K/IRA administrators to roll over the money to my new Ally bank account. 

I have been doing lots of reading about Thailand and Bangkok specifically. It appears the country is ruled by a military junta but tourists and foreign investment friendly. Bangkok is chaotic, has a thriving sex industry and lots of drug addicts. But it is safe in most places.  

My plan is now to enter Singapore and apply for a tourist visa to Thailand. Hopefully by the time the tourist visa comes to an end, my elite membership will be approved. 

As it will be my first time to an Asian country and Thailand specifically, please post any advise, things to do and avoid in Bangkok. 

On 3/22/2019 at 1:05 AM, NCC1701A said:

You have to have a passport to get your SIM card for your cellphone. you cant open a bank account in Thailand without a THAI cellphone.

Or just have a Thai person buy one for you since they don't need to register anything for a prepaid simcard. 

Not hard to get a random somchai to do it for you for a few hundred baht. 

90 day report: He can rent a cheap space/room where he only stores stuff at or just let it stand while at the same place renting another place for staying at, then use the adress for the first one when doing 90 day report

Edited by Okis
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

My plan is now to enter Singapore and apply for a tourist visa to Thailand. Hopefully by the time the tourist visa comes to an end, my elite membership will be approved. 

You have to watch out for two dates. One on the visa that will tell you how long the visa is valid for entry (Valid until date). You must enter Thailand before that date. Otherwise, you have to get a new visa. There are two types of Tourist visa. The most common single entry visa is valid for three months from the date of visa grant. The visa will have this date as Valid Until date. 

When you enter Thailand, the immigration office (IO) will stamp your passport with another date called Admitted Until date. This will be for 60-day from the day you enter Thailand. It is different from Valid Until date stamped on the Visa sticker. You must leave Thailand on or before the Admitted Until date. Otherwise you become a overstayer. There is heavy penalty and detention for overstayer if they catch you. 

If you don't get your elite by the Admitted until date, you can go to the Immigration Office in Bangkok and extend it for another 30-day. If your elite is not approved by then, you must leave Thailand. No more extension. You can go back to Singapore and get a new Tourist Visa to continue the cycle for another 90-day (60+30 day extension).

The elite office is located at Silom, the business district of Bangkok. If possible, rent a hotel or condo near the elite office initially. Bangkok's traffic is notoriously slow due to traffic jam but there are two fast moving public transportation systems (the Skytrain BTS and Underground Metro Train). Rent a condo near a Metro station for easy access to many parts of Bangkok. 

EDIT: If you're e-cigarette smoker, don't bring any e-cigarette or juices because it is treated like drug. You can be arrested and imprisoned according to laws

Edited by onera1961