Recommended vaccinations?

gamb00ler

We're planning on moving to Chiang Mai in about 3 months.  I'm trying to get all the ducks lined up before we leave USA.

Recently I got my influenza, pneumonia and shingles vaccinations.  They're pretty cheap insurance so why not.

One Irish website recommended all travelers to Thailand get Tetanus, Hepatitis A and Typhoid shots and optional to get Hepatitis B, Rabies, Meningococcal Meningitis and Cholera.

I've had Tetanus vax already but that was probably 30+ years ago.  It's recommended to get a booster every ten years... should I get 3 boosters?  555

Anyone have suggestions for additions or deletions?

1 tetanus booster is fine

Definitley need Hep A vaccine if you have not previously had it. In which case make it the combined Hep A and Hep B vaccines. If you have had Hep A vaccien already then just get Hep B.

Rabies pre-exposure vaccine is highly recommended. You can skip it if you want but in that case will need full course of 5 rabies vaccinations plus rabies immune globulin if bitten.

Meningococcal meningitis is uncommon in Thailand and mostly found in the far south. Vaccine is  not usually recommended.

Japenese B emcephalitis - your doctor apparently did nto mention this but very important especially in CM area.

Cholera - absolutely not necessary and not recommended for Thailand.

If you have to pay out of pocket for any of these vaccines could wait and get them upon arrival in Thailand as they cost less here.

See CDC recommendations

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/thailand

(don't worry re malaria prophylaxis. Malaria is only found in deep jungle and you would have to be there after dark).

Archived