Parkinsons - A new test - News BBC

Speedo1968

For those who are at risk of having Parkinson's some breaking news from the BBC Radio today 20 / 21 March 2019.

BBC Radio quote-

"A Scottish woman who astonished doctors with her ability to detect Parkinson's disease through smell has helped scientists find what causes the odour.

Researchers in Manchester said they had identified the molecules on the skin linked to the smell and hope it could lead to early detection.

The study was inspired by Joy Milne, a 68-year-old retired nurse from Perth.

She first noticed the "musky" smell on her husband Les, who was years later diagnosed with Parkinson's disease."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-47627179

It is well known that certain conditions have a smell, a smell that we may recognize e.g. a common cold or a smell that others may recognize e.g.stomach complaint.

I had Parkinson's in the past, perhaps I might have recognized the condition earlier if I knew about the "smell" rather than not knowing until the physical symptoms appeared.    I say 'had the condition' as it has all but gone, perhaps it is similar to diabetes that can be controlled ( or even stopped ) by ones self by changing aspects of our lifestyle.

Archived