Surge Protection - Power Solutions

recom273

Just wondering how people protect and power expensive home theatre or Hifi ..

I had an issue a few months back when my Yamaha receiver fell back on its factory surge protection, it took quite a bit of research to reset the unit, so i tried running it through a UPS, which has been fine, I also used the to UPS to power my TV and later my 15” Polk Subwoofer, all was fine, until this morning, my subwoofer stopped working.

It seems the UPS must be dying and cant provide enough power to the unit, which is all understandable.

What kind of protection do others use?

In the next year we will look to build a bungalow, should I look into building separate circuits for A/V and computer with an independent trip switches? It seems that Thai houses dont even have enough power outlets for an expat with an interest in tech / Hifi.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I use a custom solution to protect the TV, AV receiver and HTPC which consists of Schaffner EMC filter and metal oxide varistors locally. Also have some higher power protection on the house supply. I never leave the system on standby and isolate completely during storms. Very important that the supply has good ground.

Ideas for the MOV protection can be found in the Electrical section :-

I just has an issue with my Kef active speakers, sent them to BKK and was informed the power supply board had an issue. They told me even when using a surge protector its still not safe with the power supply here .

After contacting Kef they informed me I require a power conditioner, so I had a Furman PL8CE installed, not a cheap piece of kit but neither is the Kef speakers so I need to wait and hope.  

6 minutes ago, Isan Farang said:

I just has an issue with my Kef active speakers, sent them to BKK and was informed the power supply board had an issue. They told me even when using a surge protector its still not safe with the power supply here .

After contacting Kef they informed me I require a power conditioner, so I had a Furman PL8CE installed, not a cheap piece of kit but neither is the Kef speakers so I need to wait and hope.  

Agreed on all parts, where have you mounted it? It looks like a rack mount system - it reads like the nuts for DJ booths and live venues AV cabinets - Like you say not too expensive for your LS50's but still rather cumbersome. I like the idea of 9 outlets - Its crazy to think even on my entry level system - of 90,000B kit plugged into two 300B extension leads from BigC.

There is always the fact that with a more stable power supply comes an improved sound quality.

12 hours ago, recom273 said:

Agreed on all parts, where have you mounted it? It looks like a rack mount system - it reads like the nuts for DJ booths and live venues AV cabinets - Like you say not too expensive for your LS50's but still rather cumbersome. I like the idea of 9 outlets - Its crazy to think even on my entry level system - of 90,000B kit plugged into two 300B extension leads from BigC.

There is always the fact that with a more stable power supply comes an improved sound quality.

These models are rather large for my needs but this is the one that was recommended. This unit also comes complete with adaptors to enable various type of plugs to be used.

If you check out Sound Republic in BKK they are the main Kef sales & repair people and also stock the Furman models. There service is excellent, my speakers were returned within 5 days and that was being sent from Ubon.

P3220070.JPG

Archived