Thomas Cook Airlines offer new innovative option for economy class passengers

Thomas Cook Airlines offer new innovative option for economy class passengers

csm_Sleeper_seat_measurements_e16e0fd7c3.png

Image: Thomas Cook

UK airline Thomas Cook is launching new lie flat sleeper seats on its long haul flights.

Anyone that has been avoiding the inconvenient overnight flights or just struggling to find a comfy position on the narrow economy class seats has now the possibility to book 3 seats with a mattress.

The new movable mattresses, which cost around 8,370 THB are available in economy class on the airline’s long haul routes on its Airbus A330 aircraft.

The cabin crew set up the mattresses once the plane has reached a stable state in the sky and the meals have been served.

The ‘sleeper seats’ include the mattress with fitted sheets and a pillow. An elongated seat belt is also given to passengers in the event of turbulence.

The new movable mattresses could be writing a new paragraph in the history book of flying long haul.

However, this option is limited to a maximum of 4 passengers per flight placed in the back of the airplane.

The first airline that introduced something similar was Air New Zealand with its convertible seats, other airlines like China Airlines followed this trend as well.

The different Airplanes are showing real progress in trying to make flying with economy class more convenient.

Thomas Cook shared a video of the new sleeper seats on YouTube.

This article was written by Sara Mellouk,
Sara is an intern at ThaiVisa The Nation in Thailand, coming from Morocco, currently doing her Bachelor’s Degree in Germany in Economics and Media science.

Changing 148 cm to feet comes out to about 4 feet 10 inches............ That may be ok for the 'Thai wife' but for us farangs that are normally well over 5 foot 10 inches..... With the pillow near the window -- there will be over 12 inches, one foot, of our feet stuck out in the aisle.... for the baggage carts and other passengers to bump and continuously wake us up...... Knees bent will straighten as we sleep....... LOL .......  

I'm really curious how many of these seats they really sell at 3 times the 'coach price'.... ????   People who have money to toss around usally pay for upper-class so they can brag about it (and likely sleep better)......

I'd like to see the 'capsule' option, just like the Japanese hotels... 

Capsules stacked 3 high (equivalent of 4 seats width) on the outside on wide bodied air-craft with seats 2 per row in the middle....  

I'm not sure how they'd manage 'service' meals etc...  They could even have once side for capsules, one side for seating... but the issue is, who wants to be forced to lie down for the whole flight?

I suspect we're stuck with the system we have now... Which is the worst system for Economy class traveling except for all other systems thought of and tested... (i.e. its Sh!te but its as good as it gets)...  

Personally, I just fly 6-7 hours, have a 12 hour airside layover (at an airside hotel) and get up in the morning, refreshed and carry on....  

I don't sleep on a relatively comfortable business class seat (emirates etc) anyway... 

On 3/22/2019 at 3:44 AM, sawadeeken said:

Changing 148 cm to feet comes out to about 4 feet 10 inches............ That may be ok for the 'Thai wife' but for us farangs that are normally well over 5 foot 10 inches..... With the pillow near the window -- there will be over 12 inches, one foot, of our feet stuck out in the aisle.... for the baggage carts and other passengers to bump and continuously wake us up...... Knees bent will straighten as we sleep....... LOL .......  

I'm really curious how many of these seats they really sell at 3 times the 'coach price'.... ????   People who have money to toss around usally pay for upper-class so they can brag about it (and likely sleep better)......

People seem to do it every day on long haul flights that have three or four empty seats in a row. Are TV travellers somewhat 'special'?

Where does it state that it is "three times the Coach price"?

Some people just like to complain. If there is nothing about which to complain, they will just make something up...as in this case.

12 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Where does it state that it is "three times the Coach price"?

Here:

" Anyone that has been avoiding the inconvenient overnight flights or just struggling to find a comfy position on the narrow economy class seats has now the possibility to book 3 seats with a mattress. "

So presumably that's 3 seats plus the £200 mattress fee. I think I would rather fly with a proper airline and buy a J class ticket. The price would not be very different.

8 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Here:

" Anyone that has been avoiding the inconvenient overnight flights or just struggling to find a comfy position on the narrow economy class seats has now the possibility to book 3 seats with a mattress. "

So presumably that's 3 seats plus the £200 mattress fee. I think I would rather fly with a proper airline and buy a J class ticket. The price would not be very different.

Your presumption has nothing to do with the facts. Perhaps you should check those before making an announcement.

Thaivisa members never cease to amaze me....

Archived