Replacement number plate 2019

Stevey

Hi

Can't find any up to date info on 125cc number plates. My girlfriend has been riding without for ages taking the side roads and back streets to avoid the police. She seems to think she has go 90km to Nongkhai to get the replacement which is difficult with a child and says shops in the local town can sort the plate for 2000bt. I'd like to know what the cost of doing it legit is and can it be done by post. And why is it so much money for a shop to do it ? I've read a post saying the cost is 640baht legit but that was 2016. 

Thanks in advance

Steve 

First job is to go to your local police station to report the plate lost/stolen. They will give you a letter that exempts you from prosecution if stopped. Then you need to go to your Land and Transport office and apply for a new plate. You will need the bike's log book. The plate can take some time to come back. My car number plate took a month.

A plate can't be legal made by a local garage. If you look closely at a number plate it has an embossed circle with Thai writing in it. Not easily faked.

21 minutes ago, Spidey said:

First job is to go to your local police station to report the plate lost/stolen. They will give you a letter that exempts you from prosecution if stopped. Then you need to go to your Land and Transport office and apply for a new plate. You will need the bike's log book. The plate can take some time to come back. My car number plate took a month.

A plate can't be legal made by a local garage. If you look closely at a number plate it has an embossed circle with Thai writing in it. Not easily faked.

Hi

Thanks for that info 

I don't think the plate is going to be faked for 2000baht but just that the process is going to be handled by others for an inclusive fee. Yes sure a fake plate would stick out like a sore thumb ????????I'd like to know how much a plate is though thru legit channels, any idea ? 

2 minutes ago, Stevey said:

Hi

Thanks for that info 

I don't think the plate is going to be faked for 2000baht but just that the process is going to be handled by others for an inclusive fee. Yes sure a fake plate would stick out like a sore thumb ????????I'd like to know how much a plate is though thru legit channels, any idea ? 

It was a couple of years ago when I replaced my car number plate but remember thinking that it was quite cheap at the time. 2-300 baht?

It was a couple of years ago when I replaced my car number plate but remember thinking that it was quite cheap at the time. 2-300 baht?

Couple of years too for me and it took about 3 months to get a replacement plate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On presenting the info gleaned from you two fine fellows and at last the truth emerges that the bikes log book is being held by a loan shop against a loan, of which 10k is left to pay. That's why the 2000baht is needed to do some dodge to not need the bikes Book to get a registration plate ใบทะเบียน Bpai TaBian. 

10 hours ago, Stevey said:

at last the truth emerges that the bikes log book is being held by a loan shop against a loan

Ohh dear...it happens a lot...when you get a new plate  make sure to secure it well either use "nylock" nuts

and/or  super glue the threads  especially on the frame that holds the number plate to the backing plate, they are prone to vibrate loose and fall out then the number plate can slip out whilst driving along and you never know where it went !

7 hours ago, johng said:

Ohh dear...it happens a lot...when you get a new plate  make sure to secure it well either use "nylock" nuts

and/or  super glue the threads  especially on the frame that holds the number plate to the backing plate, they are prone to vibrate loose and fall out then the number plate can slip out whilst driving along and you never know where it went !

You see so many bikes Sans number plate ! 

8 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Run, Forrest Run!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that's her only skeleton in the closet I can live with it. When people need cash they'll do anything to get it. I bought her an iPhone 6 about 3 years ago ( when I had an iPhone 4 ) equivalent 30kbaht for her birthday when I got back home she proceeded to pawn it and never collect back. Didn't speak to her for 3 years after that. Lesson learned, never buy one of them something that can be pawned. I'm a realist beside where would I run to. 

51 minutes ago, Stevey said:

If that's her only skeleton in the closet I can live with it. When people need cash they'll do anything to get it. I bought her an iPhone 6 about 3 years ago ( when I had an iPhone 4 ) equivalent 30kbaht for her birthday when I got back home she proceeded to pawn it and never collect back. Didn't speak to her for 3 years after that. Lesson learned, never buy one of them something that can be pawned. I'm a realist beside where would I run to. 

Poverty can induce strange values. My wife (then girlfriend) had a gold amulet which had great sentimental value to her. She pawned it in her hour of need, paid a monthly stipend to secure it from being sold on but could never afford to redeem it. When we moved in together, I redeemed it for her, she wept buckets.

Don't be judgmental unless you have had to live with that level of poverty yourself.

55 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Poverty can induce strange values. My wife (then girlfriend) had a gold amulet which had great sentimental value to her. She pawned it in her hour of need, paid a monthly stipend to secure it from being sold on but could never afford to redeem it. When we moved in together, I redeemed it for her, she wept buckets.

Don't be judgmental unless you have had to live with that level of poverty yourself.

So during a 3 year lay off,but always in contact, she had a ???????? baby with a Thai guy  ,of which the relationship went toxic, and now she's left holding the baby, but I suspect she wanted the baby all along. I pop up to the village to see her on my recent long holiday and the little 1 yr old for the first time and got hooked again.  And yes it's poverty up there in Issan and looking after a baby (my first contact ever in my life with one) is a full time job. And the expense , pampers , baby formula etc. Gives me something to spend my money on anyway ????. It was my first time spending a decent amount of time in Issan, I liked it.

Archived