800k Bank Deposit letter to newspaper.

Monkeyrobot

I am thinking of writing a letter to the BK Post & The Nation to advise them there are a lot of Expats hurting from the new rules regarding the 800K money in the bank situation, I might also forward it to Immigration. It seems the only way to get noticed over here is for the press to start running the story, then something may be done about it. Any feedback or advice from the TV members would be appreciated, even what to name the article. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

"I am thinking of writing a letter to the BK Post & The Nation to advise them there are a lot of Expats hurting from the new rules regarding the 800K money in the bank situation, I might also forward it to Immigration."   Me thinks you have way too much time on your hands !

• Haha 1

+1

24 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Not just kept at a minimum but kept completely unspent for 5 months (2 before and 3 after) then minimum for the other 7 months of the year. With no provision for acccessing it to cover medical or other emergencies.

Interest is already possible via a fixed deposit account at commercial banks.

A bigger concern - and one that TI should recognize as valid - is that the funds will not be readily available to cover funeral costs and outstanding hospital bills etc when the expat dies and the next of kin has to go through the courts to get the money.

Either the government working with commercial banks, or the government itself, should set up an interest paying escrow account of foreign retirees with a "transfer on death" beneficiary provision to  insure that next of kin can immediately access the funds when the retiree dies. It's in Thai interests as it will ensure that outstanding hospital bills and funeral costs can then be promptly paid, which is not currently the case. And for the retiree, in addition to meeting visa requirements, the account then  provides some peace of mind in knowing that funeral/cremation costs etc are covered.

Totally agree. 

A great idea.

Any chance of any of the Embassies taking this idea up.

There are many threads re wills regarding just the basic/simple 400000/800000Baht account and how the partner gets access but they all get bogged down with the "experts" saying you need this and that. 

We need a simple system to transfer the extension money to our loved one so they can, as you say, bury us without all the financial worries.

This is very important as it is not normally allowed to have the extension money in joint names.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:24 AM, samsensam said:

thailand, as every country does, decides immigration rules and regulations to suit their needs and objectives, not to suit the needs of foreigners wanting to live there.

to give some perspective; my sister; well educated, good job, genuine relationship with an aussie, was made to jump through unbelievable hoops by australian immigration before being accepted. additionally her degree from a top uk university is not recognised in australia.

conclusion; if you dont like or meet the immigration criteria for a country dont live there.

'thailand, as every country does, decides immigration rules and regulations to suit their needs'

...and then they change them, and then they change them again.  And each office can set its own rules.

Every extension I am worried although I have never done anything wrong.

And every 90 days they, as they told my wife, must check I am not mafia!

People who have lived here for years making no problem for anyone may have problems meeting the latest changed financial requirements.

Why 'fix' problems that didn't exist?  Why the paranoia?

15 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Not just kept at a minimum but kept completely unspent for 5 months (2 before and 3 after) then minimum for the other 7 months of the year. With no provision for acccessing it to cover medical or other emergencies.

A bigger concern - and one that TI should recognize as valid - is that the funds will not be readily available to cover funeral costs and outstanding hospital bills etc when the expat dies and the next of kin has to go through the courts to get the money.

Either the government working with commercial banks, or the government itself, should set up an interest paying escrow account of foreign retirees with a "transfer on death" beneficiary provision to  insure that next of kin can immediately access the funds when the retiree dies. It's in Thai interests as it will ensure that outstanding hospital bills and funeral costs can then be promptly paid, which is not currently the case. And for the retiree, in addition to meeting visa requirements, the account then  provides some peace of mind in knowing that funeral/cremation costs etc are covered.

In respect of your comment on the availability of funds for funeral costs and outstanding hospital bills, the treatment of the money is in practice no different than that accorded other monies held on account of the person. The money is released following the appropriate filing of documentation and customary waiting period. We draw your attention to the  availability of securitization/guarantee of the money. Hospitals can allow the sign over of the funds following the period of  process. It is recommended that the inquiry first be made of the hospital or other institution before presenting a blanket  statement of negative outcome.  The money is not going anywhere is it is secured through the provision of guarantee or use of assignment of right to asset. Please contact your bank or legal counsel to learn more about the use of guarantee and assignment of right to asset. 

• Confused 1

It was reported that these new rules were to stop people using agents to get around the 800,000 in the bank. Well as far as i see all its done is make it more expensive. If they had not wanted agents to circumvent the rules why not just ban people from using them for that purpose and say everyone has to do it themselves?

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Brilliant thinking Sheryl

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Write it as a Google doc and post the link so that everyone can contribute and/or suggest edits.

On 3/24/2019 at 8:45 AM, malt25 said:

"I am thinking of writing a letter to the BK Post & The Nation to advise them there are a lot of Expats hurting from the new rules regarding the 800K money in the bank situation, I might also forward it to Immigration."   Me thinks you have way too much time on your hands !

A retiree with time on his hands?  That's unpossible!