<deleted> this I'm outta here! Why do you stay?

lucky2008

Beside the 35baht per kg mangos I really can't convince myself why I should make Chiang Mai my home indefinitely. 

After how polluted I've seen the air these past couple weeks, I'm really considering relocating. To some this air issue might be nothing, but for me it's really a big deal. 

Let's just say for a moment you don't have anything holding you down here in CM, what are some GOOD reasons to stay here instead of relocating to another city? 

If you were to move what city in Thailand would you choose and why? 

For those of you that have already made the move where did you go and was it worth it? 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was around Chiang Mai and moved to Cha-am last year.

reason? almost in the middle in between Mueang Phetchaburi and Hua Hin if you need malls and other entertainments.. close to the beach and calm (except on weekend if you live by the beach a lot of Thai tourists for the weekend)

air quality was about 16 here on my meter a few days ago, compared to 500ish in CM

certainly not an exciting place if you like bars and busy but that is exactly why I live here

22 minutes ago, lucky2008 said:

What's your reasons please? 

It is cheaper than other places I have lived...housing, food, transportation, entertainment, shopping...has several hospitals, immigration has been a breeze so far, banking easy to setup...

Large parks, several fitness clubs, swimming, golfing and fishing are all available.

Lao is a short distance away...a train ride to Nong Khai...on border with Lao takes 1 hour and costs about 30 baht.

Has an International airport.

But, If you are looking for bars and girls comparable to Bangkok or Pattaya...this is not the place for you...there is an area not far from Central Mall that has bars, restaurants, and massage parlors...bars and massage parlors may be found scattered around town.

More easy going...people more relaxed, comfortable, and happy here...IMHO.

43 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Give Udon Thani a look...I have lived in several Thai cities...like Udon the best...

A friend of mine went to Udon Thani to escape the smog.  He reports it's been pretty bad there the last 2 weeks.  Not as bad as Chiang Mai, but "out the frying pan, into the fire".  I drove from Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen & back in the last few days.  Horrendous air quality all the way.

3 minutes ago, Samuel Smith said:

A friend of mine went to Udon Thani to escape the smog.  He reports it's been pretty bad there the last 2 weeks.  Not as bad as Chiang Mai, but "out the frying pan, into the fire".  I drove from Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen & back in the last few days.  Horrendous air quality all the way.

Can't fully escape the burning of fields in many parts of Thailand...especially the North.  I am particularly sensitive to poor quality air...allergies for years...I rarely ever use a puffer here where I did twice a day in the US. 

3 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

Uh, the air quality is a passing thing, which you'd know if you did a modicum of research. 

What next? Too rainy in the rainy season? 

You can't compare serious issue detrimental to health to harmless seasonal weather.

I think the Air-Quality issue is a valid one... it is something which would put me off moving to Chiang Mai and I live in Bangkok !!!...   I had hoped that the excessively poor air-quality in Bangkok this year pushes those in positions of power to do something about all the burning. 

This year has seen Air-quality far worse than other years...   In Bangkok we usually see about a week of poor air-quality per year, this year already we have seen long periods which has made me think twice.... 

The Air-Quality in Thailand has definitely taken a turn for the worse, I'm not sure what has caused it... Is the burning all over Thailand significantly greater this year ?

1 hour ago, Trujillo said:

Uh, the air quality is a passing thing, which you'd know if you did a modicum of research. 

What next? Too rainy in the rainy season? 

Like I said to some people it's nothing, but for those of us that have children it's a major concern.  Yes, even if it's only a passing thing, and only a couple months throughout the year.  I guess you have to have small children to truly understand how I feel. 

Not only do pollutants harm babies’ developing lungs – they can permanently damage their developing brains. A young child’s brain is especially vulnerable because it can be damaged by a smaller dosage of toxic chemicals, compared to an adult’s brain. Children are also highly vulnerable to air pollution because they breathe more rapidly and also because their physical defenses and immune system are not fully developed.

I really think it's hard to overstate the influence air pollution has on human health. 

Anyways why don't you share with us some of the GOOD reasons you stay here in Chiang Mai?  I'm sure there are many people such as yourself that are not really concerned about the pollution, and would still love to know what makes Chiang Mai so great to so many expats. 

3 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Uh, the air quality is a passing thing

And, mortality: short-time passing thing with a rented body ?

Why don't I get outta here ? The answer, today, might be: inertia; but, ask me again, tomorrow.

~o:37;

4 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

It is cheaper than other places I have lived...housing, food, transportation, entertainment, shopping...has several hospitals, immigration has been a breeze so far, banking easy to setup...

Large parks, several fitness clubs, swimming, golfing and fishing are all available.

Lao is a short distance away...a train ride to Nong Khai...on border with Lao takes 1 hour and costs about 30 baht.

Has an International airport.

But, If you are looking for bars and girls comparable to Bangkok or Pattaya...this is not the place for you...there is an area not far from Central Mall that has bars, restaurants, and massage parlors...bars and massage parlors may be found scattered around town.

More easy going...people more relaxed, comfortable, and happy here...IMHO.

Understand about the Laos angle but the cost to go over is 1500 baht and you are limited to two a year of I'm not mistaken. Be great if you could do as many as you like but I don't think that's the case. 

6 hours ago, lucky2008 said:

Hmm..  I always liked Homers Simpson's way of thinking. 

Can we know what your reasoning is Peasandmash? Do you live in CM?  

I have made ChiangMai my home. I enjoy living here. I don't like the smog here. So when the smog gets bad, I leave. This year I had made a commitment which prevented me from leaving. So I accepted my situation and someone gave me a respirator mask to wear.

10 hours ago, lucky2008 said:

Beside the 35baht per kg mangos I really can't convince myself why I should make Chiang Mai my home indefinitely. 

After how polluted I've seen the air these past couple weeks, I'm really considering relocating. To some this air issue might be nothing, but for me it's really a big deal. 

6 hours ago, lucky2008 said:

Hmm..  I always liked Homers Simpson's way of thinking. 

I read you are only staying in Chiangmai because mangos are 35 baht/kg. This price will not remain the same indefinitely. So why would you plan to make your home here indefinitely?

I read you to say air quality is very important to you. Clearly, living in the city that has the world's worst air wasn't a good choice to begin with. In fact, it was the worst possible choice of all the cities in the world to live in. And there is nothing new about poor air quality in Chiangmai.

So either you're not accurately expressing yourself or your logic is faulty.

Homer Simpson is funny. 

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

I left a few weeks ago have been in Pattaya.

Loving it!

Yeh, its the biggest little city in the East.  Don't listen to goobers.... we know it is too bright, too loud, too active, and makes their weewee feel funny.  Just go with it.

52 minutes ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

Yeh, its the biggest little city in the East.  Don't listen to goobers.... we know it is too bright, too loud, too active, and makes their weewee feel funny.  Just go with it.

Those of us in Bangkok laugh at your pretensions.

35 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Those of us in Bangkok laugh at your pretensions.

No worries, we are still here for you when the big one hits.  Just paddle towards the sea through the floating debris left from  Khlong Toey, which makes up most of Bangkok now, and then turn left! 

I don't live in a City at all, but close to two of them, Pattaya, which I hardly ever visit as it's a dump, and Rayong, which I quite like for short shopping trips. I live in the country, close to the sea (15km) and have never regretted it, well, not the location anyway.    

2 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Report back in 6 months please...you still qualify as a tourist...next you become a rookie...after a jaded seasoned veteran...????

Haha.

Have lived in Pats for 3 years.  My weekend place is in CM.

Nice try though. Enjoy the smoke!

15532255718832538788331617651659.jpg

Screenshot_20190322-133633.thumb.jpg.fb188f0cccc20ec7b050082df9a51e0f.jpg

7 hours ago, Peasandmash said:

I read you to say air quality is very important to you. Clearly, living in the city that has the world's worst air wasn't a good choice to begin with. In fact, it was the worst possible choice of all the cities in the world to live in. And there is nothing new about poor air quality in Chiangmai.

I have lived in Thailand for the past 14+ yrs, and really can't recall CM being as bad as it is now.  Yeah nothing new about the poor air quality, but certainly being ranked the number one worst polluted city in the world for an extended amount of time should justify ones reasoning for wanting to leave.  

A bit weird though that no one has come forward with any GOOD reasons of why someone would choose CM as their home. 

2 minutes ago, lucky2008 said:

Thanks for contributing.

Any particular city/s you recommended beside Phuket? 

Give the current pollution the only places worth considering depending on budget are south of hua hin.  Just research all ares down there.

Archived