<deleted> this I'm outta here! Why do you stay?

lucky2008

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Come on y'all stop all the whining it's a passing thing."

That statement has the benefit of being true. 

Some people are funny; they act like this phenomenon has never happened before and this is the first time in history such appalling conditions have ever existed. 

And, let's see...looking for post/threads in November to February that say, "Oh my, I'm really dreading the coming burning season, so can anyone tell me where to move? I need to get out of here now! For the kids!" 

Hmmm....can't seem to find that thread. 

It might help people to remember that we are indeed living in a quasi-Third World hayseed country. And, according to another thread here, it's all China's fault. If they didn't buy some kind of mushrooms, there would be no burning at all....  >..<

lived in Bangkok for 4 years, exhaust pollution, had a cough for ever, hospital said i had a shadow on my lungs. moved from a 17,000 baht condo to a 9000, baht condo exactly the same. by the sea to Jomtien, no cough at all, sea breeze, its heaven, and a dam siight cheaper

19 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Some people are funny; they act like this phenomenon has never happened before and this is the first time in history such appalling conditions have ever existed. 

And, let's see...looking for post/threads in November to February that say, "Oh my, I'm really dreading the coming burning season, so can anyone tell me where to move? I need to get out of here now! For the kids!" 

Hmmm....can't seem to find that thread. 

:biggrin:

Well It's good for a troll ....

It is well known and researched that a single exposure to specific air contaminants can lead to acquisition of that disease or exacerbate any number of respiratory conditions...some posters here don’t seem to understand individual  variation and immunity are key factors  in the transmission and effects of air contaminants

i think a certain poster has stumbled upon the cause why CM leads the country year after year in both the number of vehicle accidents and road fatalities.....the relationship between air pollution exposure and cognitive abilities in vehicular operation....

On 3/21/2019 at 7:33 PM, kekalot said:

I was around Chiang Mai and moved to Cha-am last year.

reason? almost in the middle in between Mueang Phetchaburi and Hua Hin if you need malls and other entertainments.. close to the beach and calm (except on weekend if you live by the beach a lot of Thai tourists for the weekend)

air quality was about 16 here on my meter a few days ago, compared to 500ish in CM

certainly not an exciting place if you like bars and busy but that is exactly why I live here

Great choice, wont go wrong moving there

Ranong or PhangNha. We will relo in four years. Perhaps much too slow for single man especially if not so interested in outdoor activities.

ChaAm no way all those condos illplanned and throngs of Thais on weekends. Water is not clean.

On 3/21/2019 at 12:33 PM, kekalot said:

I was around Chiang Mai and moved to Cha-am last year.

reason? almost in the middle in between Mueang Phetchaburi and Hua Hin if you need malls and other entertainments..

What's entertaining visiting a mall?

On 3/23/2019 at 3:19 AM, lucky2008 said:

Come on y'all stop all the whining it's a passing thing. ???????????? 

Chiang Mai Air Pollution Remains at Hazardous Levels

Indeed. In a couple of weeks, everything will be back to normal. Perhaps this is why the authorities won't do anything about it.

42 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Indeed. In a couple of weeks, everything will be back to normal. Perhaps this is why the authorities won't do anything about it.

It really doesn't matter how fast it passes. 

Yearly exposure to seasonal smog such as  this, is probably why Chiang Mai has the highest lung cancer mortality rate in the country don't you think? 

I assume for those folks who are already up there in age and still in fairly good health, the 2 to 3 months of bad air doesn't really matter, but for those of us with with very young children, and still hopeful of living another 30 to 40 years, deciding to settle down in Chiang Mai indefinitely IMO is straight up stupid. 

3 hours ago, Vacuum said:

You’re forgetting that we only have a couple of months when the air is decent. It’s mostly bad all year, only this time of the year it’s really bad. Unless it’s raining the air is usually unhealthy. It’s just not hazardous.

Over 100,000 people in the north have been admitted to hospitals due to respiratory issues. That’s staggering. On that alone the government should act with swiftly. Article 44 could be used to handle this and enforcement militarized. To say it’s a crisis is an understatement.

On 3/21/2019 at 8:53 PM, Trujillo said:

Uh, the air quality is a passing thing, which you'd know if you did a modicum of research. 

What next? Too rainy in the rainy season? 

Uh, the air quality right now in Bangkok is 123.  Uh, that sucks.  Uh, it's not healthy.  Uh, it wasn't this bad so late in the year, last year. 

Uh.

21 minutes ago, dcnx said:

You’re forgetting that we only have a couple of months when the air is decent. It’s mostly bad all year, only this time of the year it’s really bad. Unless it’s raining the air is usually unhealthy. It’s just not hazardous.

Over 100,000 people in the north have been admitted to hospitals due to respiratory issues. That’s staggering. On that alone the government should act with swiftly. Article 44 could be used to handle this and enforcement militarized. To say it’s a crisis is an understatement.

No, I'm not forgetting anything. The air is somewhat 'decent' for 9 months (late nov-middle of jan would be the best).

100K people have used hospitals due to respiratory issues. Yes I'm sure your right about that, but, you should also know that Thais are very prone to visit a doctor/clinic for any kind of ailment, so no surprise there.

Government should act swiftly. Yes of course they should, but for some reason they don't.

Crisis, hell yes, but it was the same last year, the year before, the year before that year......Still the governments have done nothing about it.

"I hope you guys up there are wearing pollution masks when you move outside, ..."

Um, where do you think the air inside your house comes from? 

"...but for those of us with with very young children, and still hopeful of living another 30 to 40 years, deciding to settle down in Chiang Mai indefinitely IMO is straight up stupid."

Thai people in the North could relocate too, if they thought that they were endangering their children. Are the "straight up stupid" for staying? 

37 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

Thai people in the North could relocate too, if they thought that they were endangering their children. Are the "straight up stupid" for staying? 

If they don't have to be here yes they are stupid for staying. 

It's irresponsible for ANY parent to decide to stay somewhere that directly endangers their children life. 

1 hour ago, lucky2008 said:

If they don't have to be here yes they are stupid for staying. 

It's irresponsible for ANY parent to decide to stay somewhere that directly endangers their children life. 

In 2015 here in my country (singapore), my colleagues who did not manage to get an air purifier(s) had to spend hundreds of dollars on healthcare for their kids.   Air-conditioning doesn't really help overall, even if a slight drop is measureable on the laser particle meters.   In a case several thousands of dollars of hospitalisation coz her kid is asthmatic.   

There was absolutely zero Air purifier stocks for those who were slow and waited a week in deciding whether or not should they get 1 or 2 units, everything and i do mean everything was cleared in the stores, even multi-kilobuck IQAirs.  The IQAir dealer said someone just purchased 20k+ worth of air purifiers without even enquiring for specs and stuff.  ????      Ok i have to admit, in total i did "horde" 9 air purifiers (of which 3 were from previous haze seasons).   Stocks of the locally developed N95 mask fit-tested during research and made for kids (they have 3 sizes) are also wiped clean from the retail shelves as soon as new stocks came out.

There's nowhere for us to run to, unlike Thailand.   The island is just 600+ square km (even CM province is several tens of times bigger).   The haze season lasted for 2 months, but  at levels that are 1/3 to 1/2 that of the current situation in Chiang Mai.  

20 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

If your kid is already asthmatic, then that's a problem in and of itself. 

However, there are kids' masks too, you know? 

And why are we not talking about the health of our dogs? They have lungs too, don't they? 

You know, this point also comes up very often even in my country's forums every haze season.

In reality, it's not as simple as just saying "there are kids mask".    The 3M 8110S does not really fit kids who are younger than age 10 or so (asian kids) unless the adults trying to tape the sides up then maybe that'd help, if anyone would bother to do a proper fit-testing in the first place, which is critical.

In fact, this is what led to the development of Smart AIR+ masks in my country, as they developed soft type of N95 masks specifically fit-tested with young kids (as young as 3, that's why my 4-5 year old could wear the S size).  I am not sure if there are such products in Chiang Mai, BKK.

edit - there are actually 3M pollen masks for kids and some kids masks that see, you'd really need specific and certified products cleared and tested till N95 or FFP-2.

You cannot fit anyone, much less the young children/elderly/pregnant/those suffering from health issues like COPD with a N95 for very long.   Even for healthy pax they are only useful for short runs outside. Wearing such masks for prolonged periods would induce issues like headaches due to CO2 concentrations elevation even for a healthy user.   Actually, the doctors do not even recommend those groups of people wearing any N95 mask and only upon medical advice from their doctors for their specific cases.

For eg, my elderly mum has a stroke risk then in 2015, her cardiologist cleared her with wearing a N95, no issue.  But if other users are suffering from other issues, then perhaps no.  

So we are down to air purifiers.  Unfortunately as you can see both in Thailand or in my country, securing a few units is going to be very difficult if you are not fast enough.  It's the same in every country, even China.  After the first or second day heavy haze hits, the stores are pretty much OOS.   Some people like i do emergency prepping, so that's fine.  Unfortunately not all do.

And yes i hear ya, dogs have lungs too.  Cats too, and all other animals.

I was replying earlier to cmsally earlier that i feel for her cat, which threw up 2 days ago when the haze hit bad and had to stay in front of the air purifier.

So yes, your dear pets DO suffer as well. 

You can get PM2.5 protective masks for kids on that internet thing (it's still around, right?). 

I think the thing about dogs and other animals is that even though we higher functioning paranoids get tense about the smoke, it doesn't really make any difference to any other animals. And we are animals, ergo...well, you see the rest....

Archived