Jump to content
BANGKOK 19 May 2019 13:19
TallGuyJohninBKK

Do you have a favorite "print screen" app/method for your PC?

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Overall, I'd just like to say a very sincere THANKS to all those who have responded in this thread, and for all the various suggestions offered above. Some I like, some I don't, but what works for one person doesn't work for another. So it's great to see all the different approaches to choose from.

 

A while back, I did an internet search for print screen apps/programs, and came up with a review article list of a half dozen or so, which I thought was going to be enough to find a good solution. Greenshot was among them, and I believe one other mentioned earlier in this thread. But most of the apps and solutions mentioned above weren't on the review list I saw at all, and some I've never even heard of before. So it was really great to have my horizons widened on this!!!

 

Right now, after considering all the comments/suggestions above, I'm sticking with Greenshot on my (now 64-bit OS) Windows 10 desktop to see if it works smoothly or has any of the freeze-up problems that were occurring on my 64-bit Windows 10 laptop with that program. I really do think Greenshot is probably the most powerful, quick, configurable solution among all those I've tried thus far.

 

But on my laptop, where Greenshot was causing problems, right now I'm going to give the oddly named Duck Link Screen Capture program a try, so thanks to Bendejo for the suggestion... It's also free, and while not as powerful or configurable as Greenshot, it also has the two critical features I really want, being once a screen capture area has been selected, simple one click access to either save or print it, without multi step processes or manual file name typing, etc etc.

 

So again, thanks to all!!! Learned a lot here!  There was a similar thread a couple years back here on TVF that I read before starting this one, and pretty much the only comment responses were to use the Windows built-in screen capture tool.  Thankfully, this thread has gone far beyond that!

 

 

Check your message box , father christmass send you something ...:wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, david555 said:

Check your message box , father christmass send you something ...:wink:

 Christmas present arrived just fine and already opened. Thanks very much!

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

 

Weird... I don't use Opera that much, but I do have it on my PC. Tried your approach above. As best as I can tell, there's no icon or menu based access to trigger that command. It looks like you have to use the keyboard shortcut in order to activate it. But it is listed under Basic Keyboard Shortcuts way down in Opera's settings menu.

 

For me, it works a whole lot more smoothly and less balky that the Firefox equivalent. But like a lot of the built-in browser solutions, suffers from a lack of controls and settings capability, including as best as I can see, no direct, one click option print out the screen capture once it's been captured. The Cntrl P command doesn't work in that screen, nor is there a right click context menu Print command avail.

 

1573062868_Print2019-03-2311_36_14.jpg.9a522620315b12ff21ae157dcbef35e7.jpg

 

1585689332_Print2019-03-2311_38_25.jpg.3358970146ee2aab72849cc00c3a51d1.jpg

 

Thanks for the review. I haven't need those extra options, so didn't notice. A useful thread should I need to do so.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

 

Thanks for the review. I haven't need those extra options, so didn't notice. A useful thread should I need to do so.

 

Yep, it all depends on the individual user, and what they want and expect out of the functionality. There are once every while clippers, and then there are heavy duty clippers such as myself. Different users, different needs.

 

Another level beyond what I typically do (clip saves and clip prints) is doing VIDEO screen capture recording, something that some of the fancier packages mentioned above can handle, including the Faststone Screen Capture program. Obviously, that kind of functionality is going to be very useful for tech types and others who need to produce video instructional guides on how to do things.  And I've never even tried to venture into those waters!

 

 

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

 

Yep, it all depends on the individual user, and what they want and expect out of the functionality. There are once every while clippers, and then there are heavy duty clippers such as myself. Different users, different needs.

 

Another level beyond what I typically do (clip saves and clip prints) is doing VIDEO screen capture recording, something that some of the fancier packages mentioned above can handle, including the Faststone Screen Capture program. Obviously, that kind of functionality is going to be very useful for tech types and others who need to produce video instructional guides on how to do things.  And I've never even tried to venture into those waters!

 

 

 

Interestingly enough, I have used video screen capture software in the past. But as you say, it's an extra program that you need to set up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KneeDeep said:

 

Interestingly enough, I have used video screen capture software in the past. But as you say, it's an extra program that you need to set up.

 

As I mentioned, some of the more sophisticated print screen programs mentioned above do include some level of video screen capture capability. But I haven't delved into those to see if it's just GIF low res modes or whether they have higher res and better video format and FPs (frames per second) options available.

 

In a past work life, I too used some separate video screen capture software that had nothing to do with my current print screen clipping. Actually, now that I think about it, I think I've captured some rented movies in the past using exactly that method!  :tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...