BANGKOK 19 April 2019 00:02
Jip99

Restaurant in ChIang Mai for Birthday meal

Any recommendations for a Saturday/Sunday night dinner....

Budget around 2,000 Baht a head, all styles considered

One of the hotel buffets, e.g. Siripanna, Holiday Inn, Grandview Hotel, Shangri-La. Possibly cheaper, and they would probably be able to organise a private room for you.

Palaad Tawanron. Am assuming it's still good, not been for a while.......

Posted (edited)

For more Thai style, The Good View Village(not the riverside one). About 800 baht per head with beer. For more upscale dining, The service 1921 at the Anantara Resort

Edited by prism
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

One of the hotel buffets, e.g. Siripanna, Holiday Inn, Grandview Hotel, Shangri-La. Possibly cheaper, and they would probably be able to organise a private room for you.

Thank you.

There are only 4 us so something a bit more ‘intimate’ would be preferable. Don’t know why but I have never been a great fan of buffets.

Would have been interested in David’s Kitchen but they don’t open on Sundays; if we go somewhere on Saturday we have the problem (not a deal breaker) of not being able to celebrate with a bottle of wine because of the election rules on not selling alcohol.

Enoteca for wine and Italian food.

• Like 1

I would choose L'Elephant hands down over the other places mentioned, and I have tried them all. They currently have an excellent three course set menu for 888 Baht (+ service), or other choices. The intimate atmosphere is unrivalled. It is open on Sunday.

I am not sure when the alcohol ban finishes on Sunday. 6pm? Or later?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, neilrob said:

I would choose L'Elephant hands down over the other places mentioned, and I have tried them all. They currently have an excellent three course set menu for 888 Baht (+ service), or other choices. The intimate atmosphere is unrivalled. It is open on Sunday.

Thank you..... yes 6pm on Saturday to 6pm on Sunday.......................... but I am not voting....

Edited by Jip99

1 hour ago, neilrob said:

clearly you have never been to France nor have you ever eaten in an authentic Fresh restaurant, however you did get one thing right the atmosphere is first class

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, neilrob said:

You are completely wrong. I have been to France many times and eaten in some fine French restaurants there and around the world. I judge the food at L'Elephant by its quality and interest, not by whether it conforms to some stereotype of French food, and certainly not yours.

I would agree with you if they didn't brand themselves as a French restaurant. Then there would be no guidelines. But there are definitely guideline for French cuisine. I'm sure that if something is swimming in wine, garlic and cream that you would be drooling thinking it was the best French meals that you've ever had. That's the thinking of an untrained palate. But is some ways you've made your point. You liked the food, therefore you recommend it. For me after a couple of decades living in France before I surfaced here they are far from an authentic French restaurant  and will never see a Michelin star

Go to Level 9 on the top floor of the Icon IT building. Greay views, indoor and outdoor seating, great music, good prices and great service. Pretty much unknown to most Farangs here in Chiang Mai which IMO is an added bonus.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 minutes ago, cmtg1 said:

I would agree with you if they didn't brand themselves as a French restaurant. Then there would be no guidelines. But there are definitely guideline for French cuisine. I'm sure that if something is swimming in wine, garlic and cream that you would be drooling thinking it was the best French meals that you've ever had. That's the thinking of an untrained palate. But is some ways you've made your point. You liked the food, therefore you recommend it. For me after a couple of decades living in France before I surfaced here they are far from an authentic French restaurant  and will never see a Michelin star

My goodness, you certainly rate a Michelin star, in fact several, in arrogance! No, I do not like food "swimming in wine, garlic and cream", whether or not you are "sure" of this. You do have a truly remarkable ability to assemble completely unjustified assumptions from thin air. At least the rubbish you spout is amusing!

• Haha 1