Experts make dire predictions as lower than average rain forecast

webfact

Experts make dire predictions as lower than average rain forecast

By PRATCH RUJIVANAROM 
THE NATION

1a30afd8852dfeba74aa87f72a15106f.jpeg

File photo

MOST OF THAILAND will face drought and water shortages this year based on both current water supplies and weather forecasts, but the Royal Irrigation Department (RID) insists that, with good management of resources, we won’t go thirsty.

On the eve of World Water Day, observed today, experts had dire predictions, saying the Ubonrat Dam in Khon Kaen will run dry by mid-April. They advised farmers to forget about planting crops at least until the rainy season officially begins.

The RID’s Smart Water Operations Centre yesterday reported that the water supply in the Chao Phraya River Basin for the rest of the dry season would be only 10 per cent of normal capacity.

14609a9d0a1665bf78965f2cf189be5c.jpeg

The Meteorological Department meanwhile estimated that the rainy season would arrive at least two weeks later than usual.

The RID information database shows seven major dams with reservoirs badly depleted, under 30 per cent of their capacity. Three of them – Ubonrat, Kra Siao and Sirindhorn – are far drier still, at 3, 7 and 8 per cent capacity, respectively.

Reservoirs draining fast

Seree Suparathit, director of Rangsit University’s Centre on Climate Change and Disaster, said it was clear that Thailand is facing serious water shortage and everybody would have to work together to make sure the supply remains sufficient.

“The situation is quite concerning because many large reservoirs are depleting fast, while annual rainfall will also be lower than average,” Seree said.

The area of greatest concern will be the Northeast, where reservoirs are at critically low levels, leaving farmers at risk of severe drought.

“And in the Northeast, I estimate that, by Songkran, people in Khon Kaen will be left drinking what remains at the bottom of the Ubonrat Dam, as the water stored in the reservoir is expected to completely run out in the next few weeks,” Seree warned. 

As for the Chao Phraya River Basin, he expects that even though the water set aside for the dry season will not be enough, people in this part of the country are very likely to have enough for domestic consumption – at least until the rains arrive. 

However, he said, this means that the RID will have to use whatever spare water it has to cover the demand for water before the rainy season, which will possibly result in a lower water budget for the rest of the year. 

“With unusually arid weather conditions this year due to the El Nino phenomenon, we expect Thailand to have less than average rainfall,” he said. “And with less water being stored this rainy season means we are going to see ever more serious drought in the next dry season.” 

7d0fb3a40093056f3aa9536dfd369e46.jpeg

Hence, he called on related agencies to start managing water resources carefully and urged farmers not to plant new crops until there is enough rain. 

The RID’s Water Management and Hydrology Bureau director Teerapong Tangsombun, meanwhile, said people in areas with irrigation will have enough water for both domestic consumption and farming, but he too called on farmers to not plant new crops until the rains arrive. 

Water for the dry season

National perspective

Earmarked: 23.1 billion cubic metres 

Distributed: 18.3 billion cubic metres (79 per cent)

Balance: 4.7 billion cubic metres (21 per cent)

Chao Phraya River Basin

Earmarked: 8 billion cubic metres 

Distributed: 7.1 billion cubic metres (90 per cent)

Balance: 828 million cubic metres (10 per cent)

Source: Royal Irrigation Department

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30366264

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-22

"An expert is somebody who is more than 50 miles from home, has no responsibility for implementing the advice he gives, and shows slides."  Edwin Meese

Weather forecasters have no idea what is coming tomorrow - how would they have any idea what is coming in the next several months - perhaps a direct line to Mother Nature?

4 minutes ago, Prairieboy said:

"An expert is somebody who is more than 50 miles from home, has no responsibility for implementing the advice he gives, and shows slides."  Edwin Meese

Weather forecasters have no idea what is coming tomorrow - how would they have any idea what is coming in the next several months - perhaps a direct line to Mother Nature?

Weather forecasting has come a long way since the 1950’s...

Long range forecasting is quite accurate now.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

MOST OF THAILAND will face drought and water shortages this year

Prayut has already said there won't be any water shortages.

This must be linked to another news story today: Stop spreading ‘fake news’, media told

But which one is fake?

For the first time in nearly 14 years I have had to order a water tanker to fill my cisterns with drinking water. The grass in my garden has not only dried out it has disappeared completely leaving the bare earth covered in dried leaves and unripe mangoes that have fallen from the trees due to drought. I don't have the opportunity to water the garden as the water being pumped from the well only comes intermittently but a government department told us there would be no drought this year.

In the UK we've had hosepipe bans in the past when the summer has been long and dry. This is the UK, for Christ's sake. A very wet place. 

I say bring back the traditional Song Kran where people didn't waste water in the name of 'fun'. 

No drought this year, says irrigation dept

By The Nation

b18d9780060e66c532cfbdfd9157a2ac.jpeg

File photo

Enough water supplies until early 2020, says RID, as it readies measures to tackle problems.

THE ROYAL Irrigation Department (RID) announced yesterday that Thailand will not suffer from drought this year as there will be enough water for use until early 2020. 

Deputy director-general Thaweesak Thanadachopol said an official survey in irrigation zones had learned that there will be sufficient water supply for consumption and farming. 

Thailand will not experience a repeat of recent drought disasters because the RID and related agencies had undertaken a detailed study of water usage over the past two years and are planning drought-tackling measures to cope with any problems that arise, he added. 

Four weeks ago....................Can someone tell me please just how many light years apart these two officials offices are?

R.I.D.  = Ridiculous Information Department

image.gif

so the new theory is rainfall is less when the air is polluted! Something i had been pondering for decades and sure enough there is some truth to it. Farmers piss and moan about not enough water and wanting to burn everything at the same time. Stop polluting and stop wasting water!!!!

40 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

They can't manage to make a cup of coffee properly...

Take a look around you, almost everything is done poorly, flawed, rushed or somehow ridiculous or defective.

The only time it is ever done properly is with foreign oversight.

I always say they copy the look of things but forgot about the function....because they don’t know it has a function 

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

For the first time in nearly 14 years I have had to order a water tanker to fill my cisterns with drinking water. The grass in my garden has not only dried out it has disappeared completely leaving the bare earth covered in dried leaves and unripe mangoes that have fallen from the trees due to drought. I don't have the opportunity to water the garden as the water being pumped from the well only comes intermittently but a government department told us there would be no drought this year.

I would worry, last time the goverment of the time told everyone there would be no flooding. We all know how bad it was in 2011. So when the goverment tells you not to worry no draught i would worry. 

How much did you pay for the water.

7 hours ago, inThailand said:

A couple weeks ago the experts predicted a very hot summer and now shortages. Not much they can do about the heat, but better water management isn't possible? Will this help turn out the voters this weekend? 

People can complain all they want and they do of course. But the dams in Thailand are used for 2 things to prevent flooding and to keep water for draught. If they take a too small a margin there will be flooding and everyone will be complaining about the flooding. 

This year everyone was complaining about dams flooding so they released a lot (and that was good) and now there is not enough water. So its quite logical they have problems.

That is what you get for trying to accomplish two opposing goals with the dams. Can't really blame the Thais for being put in an almost hard position. 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

the Royal Irrigation Department (RID) insists that, with good management of resources, we won’t go thirsty.

I'm sure we can all rely on them to manage resources well, can't we? 

2 hours ago, robblok said:

People can complain all they want and they do of course. But the dams in Thailand are used for 2 things to prevent flooding and to keep water for draught. If they take a too small a margin there will be flooding and everyone will be complaining about the flooding. 

This year everyone was complaining about dams flooding so they released a lot (and that was good) and now there is not enough water. So its quite logical they have problems.

That is what you get for trying to accomplish two opposing goals with the dams. Can't really blame the Thais for being put in an almost hard position. 

Indeed. We can't manage mother nature we can only try and be prepared to deal with the extremes.

Mrs. BB purchased an additional 3 larger water storage tanks after the last big drought; although we had minimum impact. She just recently had the original smaller tank remover - told her she was optimistic!

It seems there are always issues about drought, and as soon as the rainy season comes, about flooding. 

Until a real government that focuses on real issues is in power, that's how it will be. Don't hold your breath!

18 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Indeed. We can't manage mother nature we can only try and be prepared to deal with the extremes.

Mrs. BB purchased an additional 3 larger water storage tanks after the last big drought; although we had minimum impact. She just recently had the original smaller tank remover - told her she was optimistic!

It seems there are always issues about drought, and as soon as the rainy season comes, about flooding. 

Until a real government that focuses on real issues is in power, that's how it will be. Don't hold your breath!

I think the only solution would be more and bigger dams and more water catchment area's. But that requires money and time and real effort. I doubt they really want to do that.

Still since YL messed up badly there have not been any 2011 scale events anymore. We can be happy about that. 

14 hours ago, inThailand said:

A couple weeks ago the experts predicted a very hot summer and now shortages. Not much they can do about the heat, but better water management isn't possible? Will this help turn out the voters this weekend? 

A month or so ago, the " Experts "also said in a statement that there would be no drought conditions or water shortages this dry season.

9 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Unfortunately, seems you made the choice to have a 3rd world water supply.

Good luck.

Archived