Thailand’s alcohol ban means Brit holidaymakers won’t be able to buy any booze ahead of the country’s elections

webfact

14 hours ago, Andyfez said:

Is this really headline news?

One of the most common headlines on Thai visa.

Crisis!.... What crisis??.....

Crisis? What Crisis ?,a very good LP by Supertramp 1975.

The shop at the end of our road will sell alcohol for sure. 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

No. I do not understand. Banning alcohol for an election to begin with is ridiculous, but to apply it to foreigners who can't vote is just stupid. I've been in the Philippines for a couple of weeks and it was so refreshing to have nightlife there every night until 5am or later, after seeing police shut down Bangkok nightlife at 2-3am night after night recently. Thailand has more going for it than nightlife, but eventually people will have enough of this bullshit and just go somewhere else. It's already happening. My friends were supposed to come for the weekend but changed their destination when they heard about the booze ban. I extended my stay in the Philippines for a week when I heard about last weekend's booze ban. It's not "just one day" as some people here think - it's the primary reason why a great many tourists come to Thailand to begin with - party. Or I suppose Indian and Chinese tourists are better? lol.

Oh yes, that is soo critical, that British boozers should be able to drink themselves silly absolutely whenever they want, and stumble around groping women who don't want to know them. S9y don't you guys go back to your island?

On 3/22/2019 at 8:03 AM, Father Fintan Stack said:

Again, total nonsense. 

These laws have been in place since 2001 and tourism has not been affected.

Weren't there figures recently published that said Europeans were shunning Thailand & the Germans (a hard-drinking Nation) couldn't give Thai holidays away?

Of course tourist numbers are still high as China is a vast country.

Well this proves only one thing, the junta is really worry on losing the elections, and so they should,

depriving citizens of their basic right, freedom of expression,  is not the right thing to do to be popular

with voters.

Farangs should be the exception as they not voting!

On 3/22/2019 at 3:01 AM, inThailand said:

Brits stock up, its going to be a long 24 hours. 

you dont need to stock up there will be plenty of bars that will have beers in sprite bottles and under the table so police cannot see it and also plenty of 'PAID' police that wont bother going to certain bars as they paid an extra bung to sell beers , cheers see you in the bar !! 

Pure downright twaddle from the above poster. Here in Chiang Mai all the bars have been visited by the Police and warned that should they even try to sell in coffee mugs, Dixie cups and are caught they will be closed for an extended period and be levied a substantial fine. My friends Pub/Restaurant on previous occasions had been allowed to sell booze and serve it in coffee mugs due to the tea money payed but this time no go and for Christ sake it's only from 6 p.m. To 6 p.m. The following evening.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 11:53 PM, simon43 said:

Jeez, how pathetic if you can't manage 24 hours without alcohol....

The thread is aimed at holidaymakers not expats. I haven't even noticed that there was an alcohol ban last night.

However, the election isn't the only major event scheduled for this weekend, in Thailand. It's also the annual World Superbikes in Buriram. Many people would have travelled great distances specifically to attend this event. Some, indeed, will only be in Thailand for the weekend.

Traditionally, on Saturday night, at every WSB event, there is a huge party with live bands, food and lots of booze. For many attending, it's the highlight of the weekend. No booze at such an event, will kill it stone dead for many of the European bikers attending.

It's not just those attending that this has a negative effect on. Those disgruntled bikers will go home and tell friends, family and work colleagues how Thailand's archaic laws and inhospitability impacted on their experience. With Twitter, Facebook and newspapers like the Sun, the ill feeling will reach millions of potential holidaymakers. Is it any wonder that Western tourists are voting with their feet in droves?

I saw a guy drinking a beer in one of the Naklua bars last night. He was very open about it, sitting there alone.  I think it must have been the owner. 

An off topic post has been removed. 

A denigrating comment on moderation has been removed:

10) Do not comment on moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. This also includes posting an emoticon in response to a public notice made by a moderator. 

You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

Archived