Thailand’s alcohol ban means Brit holidaymakers won’t be able to buy any booze ahead of the country’s elections

webfact

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

Jeez, how pathetic if you can't manage 24 hours without alcohol....

The thread is entitled 'Brit holidaymakers' - not sure why Brits have been singled out.  The key word is the last one quoted.  Those coming here on holiday may not check to see if there are any archaic laws governing alcohol sales or whether there are numerous Buddha Day closures.  They are coming for a holiday.  If they can't have a glass of wine with their meal on a Saturday night they will go away feeling negative towards Thailand and never return.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

On a personal note to PingRoundTheWorld, if you are like other tourists that sometimes stay near my place, and come home shouting, singing, retching and revving up your motorbike at 5 am in the morning, then please stay in the Philippines.

I have never done any of those things personally, however if you are staying near popular party destinations then it would be unreasonable to expect peace and quiet at night. And not just from tourists - here in Bangkok the loudest people I see are Thais and expats, not tourists.

25 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Do many Brits really come to Thailand just for the weekend?

Yes, lots. Of course they're not flying from the UK for the weekend but there are a lot who live and work elsewhere in Asia.

They're not coming this weekend.

6 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

The 1am closing laws came in around 2001 during Thaksin's first tenure.

Hasn't affected tourism in the slightest.

The laws, maybe, but not enforcement. When I first came here in 2016 clubs were open until 5am, after which point there were several "late" clubs which ran from 5am to well in the morning. Ever since the election fiasco (protests) began, they've been forcing clubs to close earlier and earlier, and no late clubs at all. The last few months they've had many nights where they closed at 2-3am. To say this doesn't affect tourism is funny - every tourist who comes to Thailand to party and gets shafted at 2am is a tourist who won't be coming back, or will come back less often.

51 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Yes, lots. Of course they're not flying from the UK for the weekend but there are a lot who live and work elsewhere in Asia.

They're not coming this weekend.

Wow that should put a dent in the economy. 

Can you just see it? Here then Nigel, are we going anywhere this weekend, its been a month and our next break is two months away. No, Sherlock, there is no beer in Thailand for 24 hours this weekend, so I shall just stay here on the drill rig.

We frequently take the p**s with the Poms and the Ozzies about their excessive drinking (and the insane consequences thereof), but Ill tell you folks, you want REAL boozing, hang with the Ivans.

3 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

No. I do not understand. Banning alcohol for an election to begin with is ridiculous, but to apply it to foreigners who can't vote is just stupid. I've been in the Philippines for a couple of weeks and it was so refreshing to have nightlife there every night until 5am or later, after seeing police shut down Bangkok nightlife at 2-3am night after night recently. Thailand has more going for it than nightlife, but eventually people will have enough of this bullshit and just go somewhere else. It's already happening. My friends were supposed to come for the weekend but changed their destination when they heard about the booze ban. I extended my stay in the Philippines for a week when I heard about last weekend's booze ban. It's not "just one day" as some people here think - it's the primary reason why a great many tourists come to Thailand to begin with - party. Or I suppose Indian and Chinese tourists are better? lol.

Alcohol doesn’t play a big part in your life ,does it? ???? 

The elections are rigged so why do they bother even having the election that way they don’t have to have a 24 hour band on the alcohol I  have Dreamed Of living in Thailand when I retire but now with all the bullshit is happening I’m looking at alternative places to retire

Impossible to stop the Poms from drinking in the tropics.

Pubs will serve beer out of  tea pots and kettles or they used to when I drank in pubs in BKK. 

Brown shirts might come in but 12 angry looking fa-lung will make them depart quickly.LOL

Beers bars ...forget it.

6 hours ago, inThailand said:

Brits stock up, its going to be a long 24 hours. 

Damn right Im stocking up. No way am i going to hear all about Prayuth becoming a "democratically elected" prime minister whilst sober.

Well there is an election looming. 

We all know how to get booze - just have a house party.

and perhaps - just perhaps - this election may see a change of power and one that might put paid to these ridiculous laws once and for all. 

Keep the faith!!

1 hour ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

The last few months they've had many nights where they closed at 2-3am.

it affects me. i was surrounded by 20 year old Thai girls in a club and when the lights came on at 3 am i realized they were all at least 45.

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

it affects me. i was surrounded by 20 year old Thai girls in a club and when the lights came on at 3 am i realized they were all at least 45.

The only thing I do at 3 a.m. these days is wake up, look at clock, realise it’s too early to get up and go back to sleep. 

4 hours ago, quandow said:

I just LOVE these fables. "No alcohol available." HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Its available. (Always available)

Just have to resist the temptation to buy it.

Be interesting to see how many sit on Jomtien beach and imbibe a few, while puffing on the smokes that are also prohibited. 

(Usually while the bylaws and police look on)

And then leave their rubbish in a little pile at the bottom of a coconut tree.

6 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Sounds like Nana Plaza.Last time I went there around 2003 the ' girls' were older than me. Even the stairwell  cats were ancient.

Some of the staff from back then are probably still there;

Where else can they go.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

BRITS on holiday in Thailand will be banned from buying any alcohol while in the country due to the upcoming election

So I guess this means there will be plenty of alcohol left for us Scandinavians, Germans and the French. 

Just show your passport before entering the bar, you're a Brit ? Go home or Brexit.  

3 hours ago, JAG said:

Perceptions count for a lot. The perception which this sort of coverage creates, along with stories of swinging fines for "smoking on the beach" and "vaping" will (perhaps as has been mentioned already has) lead to holidaymakers) going elsewhere.

Twenty years ago Thailand was the place to go for an Asian holiday. There are many alternatives now.

Chinese and Indian tourism may well bring in large amounts of visitors. They may spend large sums of money but I suspect that those visitors will not disperse their money as widely as the westerners. Of course that may be what those who control the bulk of the countries commercial and economic activities prefer!

The package tours are all pre allocated funds and venues.

They normally have a free night to wander (and wonder <deleted>).

Tips are built in the deal and go to the tour group leader, who is supposed to distribute as required. 

It doesn't happen.

The tourists think the locals get handsomely rewarded. 

If only they knew!!!

These tour groups do little for the people on the streets. 

It all goes to corporate business. 

Archived