Thailand’s alcohol ban means Brit holidaymakers won’t be able to buy any booze ahead of the country’s elections

webfact

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As usual the Sun Newspaper that well know media outlet telling Brit tourists they cant get a drink when the Thai Elections are on this weekend

you would think it was a National disaster 

here is a solution buy some before the time 1800 hrs Saturday kicks in 

now that was not hard 

If the polls close at 5pm then why ban the sale until 6pm. If they made it 4pm then that would surely be a more sensible time. Not many people can get drunk in 1 hour and then of course they have to get over to the poling booth before 5pm.  

7 hours ago, webfact said:

"Police will enforce it that same as we do for the five Buddhist religious days throughout the year. "I believe that foreign tourists will understand that this is law must be followed. "

Enforce it as they do every year !!!! while I drink at the same bar !!!!!! every same time !!!!! every year it is banned !!!!! I'll drink to that, cheers????

For the backpackers and short term tourists, plan well ahead..

Buckets aren't banned, nor are bags of ice from 7.. If you don't have a bar fridge in your room to fill up with, stock up well before the 6pm ban comes in, in your very own room buckets on ice.. 

Buy your booze in the morning before all the fridges empty out at 7/11 because they will!! So take the hint and stock up early and prepare.. Then you won't have a dry 24 hours to deal with!! ???? 

38 minutes ago, shackleton said:

As usual the Sun Newspaper that well know media outlet telling Brit tourists they cant get a drink when the Thai Elections are on this weekend

you would think it was a National disaster 

here is a solution buy some before the time 1800 hrs Saturday kicks in 

now that was not hard 

"not hard"  seems like it is for some and it's probably better they are restricted if they can't handle such a simple task.   

2 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

The laws, maybe, but not enforcement. When I first came here in 2016 clubs were open until 5am, after which point there were several "late" clubs which ran from 5am to well in the morning. Ever since the election fiasco (protests) began, they've been forcing clubs to close earlier and earlier, and no late clubs at all. The last few months they've had many nights where they closed at 2-3am. To say this doesn't affect tourism is funny - every tourist who comes to Thailand to party and gets shafted at 2am is a tourist who won't be coming back, or will come back less often.

Gee whiz, since when has the western party goer made such a great impact on the Thai economy. Over inflated opinion of youself and your mates' importance, 

1 hour ago, Chrisswe said:

So the Turists is involved in this election !!???

I am.

I'm driving mine and her tribe back to the village to vote. 

Many also have village registration and voting on day 24 too.

I tried to get them to register for absentee votes...

Naa. 

Farang can drive 450km each way to the village. 

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

The only thing I do at 3 a.m. these days is wake up, look at clock, realise it’s too early to get up and go back to sleep. 

If Im out to 3, I either am getting into a cab with a young lady, or standing alone by the cops at the Erawan shrine trying not to look too buzzed and waving at cabs. 100 baht straight shot.

4 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

or can't plan ahead if you cannot manage 24 hours without alcohol...

yes, why don't you learn from and copy the drug addicts, they always have some stuff hidden somewhere - just in case....

I don't understand all keyboard warriors that feel that this is ban is put in place to ruin their drinking and not for the benefit of the Thai people, the citizens of this country!
This ban came to be as most Thais buy the alcohol that they will drink today... TODAY! So, as they want an orderly election, without people fighting and behaving badly, they have banned alcohol sale before/during the election.
And if you can't handle a day or two without alcohol, then I would really suggest that you contact a rehab or join AA. Because these bans comes ever so often, for example on Buddhist holidays, and every time it happens, I see the same people complain over and over again that the Thai government are interacting with their drinking.

7 hours ago, SweetStickyRice said:

This law should not apply to farangs who don't have rights to vote. That's all farangs.

Don't know of any Farangs (Racist comment) selling alcohol...  

The impression I get by the ban is that Thais need to be managed like children. 

In what other countries must governments ban alcohol to try to encourage people to vote? 

It's so embarrassing for Thais. Adults cannot vote if they have alcohol available to them? Pathetic 

12 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

The impression I get by the ban is that Thais need to be managed like children. 

In what other countries must governments ban alcohol to try to encourage people to vote? 

It's so embarrassing for Thais. Adults cannot vote if they have alcohol available to them? Pathetic 

The U.S.A.

Are the bars closed on Election Day?
Alcohol sale restriction and wet/dry (both by drink and package) allowed by both county and city local option. ... Prohibition on liquor sales on Election Day was repealed effective June 24, 2013. Kentucky was one of only two states to still have election Day prohibition, the other being South Carolina.

1 hour ago, Kasset Tak said:

I don't understand all keyboard warriors that feel that this is ban is put in place to ruin their drinking and not for the benefit of the Thai people, the citizens of this country!
This ban came to be as most Thais buy the alcohol that they will drink today... TODAY! So, as they want an orderly election, without people fighting and behaving badly, they have banned alcohol sale before/during the election.

What a load of twoddle, how do the average Thai people benefit from the ban on the sale of alcohol during an election?

Archived