Jump to content
BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Stop spreading ‘fake news’, media told

Recommended Posts

Stop spreading ‘fake news’, media told

By The Nation

 

b885cb0655e0cedc9a72d687a48eabd4-sld.jpe

 

Four professional media associations yesterday issued a joint statement calling for journalists to exercise their freedom with responsibility and help stop spreading fake news and disinformation.

 

“As the country is heading for an election on Sunday, it is a major task for all types of media to check and screen rumours, fake news and disinformation before releasing any news and help to stop the spread of fake news in order to prevent the media from being used as a political tool of political camps,” they said.

 

Their statement was issued in response to the airing of a controversial audio clip by Nation TV on one of its most popular news programmes, hosted by star anchor Kanok Ratwongsakul. 

 

The clip featured what now appears to be a faked conversation between Future Forward Party leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit and the ousted former prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, in which they were discussing post-election prospects. 

 

Netizens criticised the station, saying it had shown itself to be politically compromised by reporting “fake news” that favoured the pro-junta bloc.

 

The statement said that in the current era in which information spreads quickly online and in social media, journalists needed to use their freedom with more responsibility.

 

The media needed to ensure they remained fair to anyone affected by stories published in print or on the airwaves; they should also heed advice, criticism and be open to more intense scrutiny by society, the statement said. 

 

The media needed to do its duty to professional standards, and following a code of ethics, in order to report accurately and gain credibility from society, the associations added. 

 

The joint statement was signed by the Thai Broadcast Journalists Association, Thai Journalists Association, the News Broadcasting Council of Thailand and the National Press Council of Thailand. 

 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30366261

 

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

Real fake news is bad bad bad. Please stop.

Here's the problem - one person's fake news is another's Fox News. And have you ever looked at TheOnion.com? VERY convincing political satire that many dupes believe. Then there are all the sites like Brietbart that lean HEAVILY to the right, MSNBC.com just as far to the left. Who is to be the judge of what is or is not fake?

truth.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, webfact said:

The media needed to ensure they remained fair to anyone

'fairness','responsible','anyone'; are they talking about today's thailand ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'Stop Fake News" may well become the mantra for those wishing to control the production and consumption of news - in much the same way as "Reform Before Elections" was a mantra for those who wished to prevent an election they were going to lose. That turned out well didn't it?

 

Since this weekend's election is unlikely to resolve Thailand's political split, resulting as it probably will in a (very) minority government, and the inevitable frustration of the majority, there could be a pressing need to "Stop Fake News".

 

It will inevitably come down to controlling social media. All other media outlets are taken care of, press and TV are "owned by the right people" (and ignored by many/most as a result); there used to be a vibrant local/ community radio network in Thailand, that has been squashed.

 

It will have to be social media.

 

We can expect to hear more...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Paris Jan. 16. 1787

[T]he basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. but I should mean that every man should receive those papers & be capable of reading them.

 

Thomas Jefferson 

 

I think Thailand could use some of TJ's wisdom...

 

...And take special note of the last sentence.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, webfact said:

...calling for journalists to exercise their freedom

I stopped reading after this...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
1
1 hour ago, quandow said:

Here's the problem - one person's fake news is another's Fox News. And have you ever looked at TheOnion.com? VERY convincing political satire that many dupes believe. Then there are all the sites like Brietbart that lean HEAVILY to the right, MSNBC.com just as far to the left. Who is to be the judge of what is or is not fake?

 

It's not a difficult concept. Do your research talk to both sides, report both sides and keep your opinion out of it unless it's an editorial piece.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get in real trouble if you report real news in Thailand.

Ask me no questions I tell you no lies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Runninng up the this election, fake news seems to be whatever news criticizes the junta (true or false), and every other piece of news is just ‘news’. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Statement should be read: "Stop spreading news that puts junta in a bad light".

Fixed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JAG said:

'Stop Fake News" may well become the mantra for those wishing to control the production and consumption of news - in much the same way as "Reform Before Elections" was a mantra for those who wished to prevent an election they were going to lose. That turned out well didn't it?

 

Since this weekend's election is unlikely to resolve Thailand's political split, resulting as it probably will in a (very) minority government, and the inevitable frustration of the majority, there could be a pressing need to "Stop Fake News".

 

It will inevitably come down to controlling social media. All other media outlets are taken care of, press and TV are "owned by the right people" (and ignored by many/most as a result); there used to be a vibrant local/ community radio network in Thailand, that has been squashed.

 

It will have to be social media.

 

We can expect to hear more...

Maybe JAG but fake news is just not acceptable. Doctored tapes.. not acceptable. Though in the past both sides have used this tactic. I feel that the people responsible for this clip and the reporters should be punished. 

 

I really understand the downside that it can be used to silence political opponents. 

 

Your vibrant radio networks was one of the main places where fake news was spread. It was there where doctored tapes were spread first in previous elections. 

 

Fake news needs to be combated, I have no real idea how but I also know that not combating it is even more damaging. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is really no discussion here. The clip was doctored the conversation never happened - it was a badly done and obviously a fake.

The real problem is that Nation TV knew it was fake - never told anybody how they obtained it (maybe they produced it?) - still aired it and then these idiots defended their decision and threatened to sue the victim of their smear campaign!

 

Being such an obvious fake it backfired and they now look like the idiots they are at Nation TV“News” !

They underestimated the popularity of Thanathorn and the outcry it caused trending on twitter - they where stupid enough to boost his popularity when trying to discredit him.

What they don’t understand is that the Thanathorn has a real following and people believe in him.

Probably for the first time in Thai political history there is a political leader who doesn’t have to pay anybody to attend his rallies and people show up in the thousands.

Looking a bit closer at the ownership of said TV station it comes as no surprise that they are afraid of Thanathorn - he is clean - they are almost bankrupt, close to the junta, embroiled in corruption and money laundering- a great read online !

 

 

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Maybe JAG but fake news is just not acceptable. Doctored tapes.. not acceptable. Though in the past both sides have used this tactic. I feel that the people responsible for this clip and the reporters should be punished. 

 

I really understand the downside that it can be used to silence political opponents. 

 

Your vibrant radio networks was one of the main places where fake news was spread. It was there where doctored tapes were spread first in previous elections. 

 

Fake news needs to be combated, I have no real idea how but I also know that not combating it is even more damaging. 

The sheeplike mentality of people worldwide has made false news possible to the extreme it is today- it has always been in existence however people are not as well read now and depend on a small window for their "news".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...