After 11 years in Chiang Mai, I was Denied Entry

ไม่มีปัจจัยยังชีพ translates more directly to 'doesn't have a current occupation'

It seems like they're expecting tourists to be doing something for a living somewhere else, unless of course you pony up the cash for an Elite visa. Times have changed. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

ไม่มีปัจจัยยังชีพ translates more directly to 'doesn't have a current occupation'

It seems like they're expecting tourists to be doing something for a living somewhere else, unless of course you pony up the cash for an Elite visa. Times have changed. 

You could very loosely interpret that as 'seems not to have permanent residence elsewhere'

My prediction is that in the future evidence of permanent residence elsewhere will be required for Elite V - this will not bother the original perceived market - someone flying in from HK/wherever to stay at their Phuket villa a few times a year.

• Like 1

I am very sorry for your experience but a tourist visa?  after 11 years?  surely you expect it to end one day? you are not a tourist? I do understand that you are under 50 and that is why I waited many years before I retired here @50 coming in once or twice a year for a couple of weeks as a TOURIST. Lose your passport get an O visa and put 800k in the bank.

1 hour ago, KCM said:

Last year I arrived at BKK from Japan on Thai Air in business class and was denied entry. I was not asked to show money and was told I was being denied entry because the IO thought I was working in Thailand which was not true.

I also chose to fly to Cambodia even though at first the Thai Air staff said I had to fly back to Japan or to the U.S. I refused those options and booked a Thai Air roundtrip ticket online to Phnom Penh. The Thai Air staff who had my passport told me the stamp in my passport said I was denied for not having enough money with me.

The next morning in Phnom Penh I took my passport to Luck Motorcycle Rental and had them handle getting my Thai tourist visa for me. The next day I had my passport with the tourist visa and a few days later I flew back on Thai Air to BKK and was admitted without any questions.

So based on my personal experience, you don't need to get a new passport before getting your visa. Not only did I come back a few days later with a tourist visa, I'm in Thailand now with that same passport with an OA visa.

So they could not have stamped your passport 'denied entry'?  if they had how could anyone get you a new visa?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BritTim said:

First, the 180-day rule they quoted you is not a real rule. That said, the have been given discretion to decide whether to grant visa exempt entry, as explained in earlier posts. This is actually logical as the Immigration Bureau applies the rules around visa exemptions. That said, even if you had a tourist visa, there is a real chance you could be denied at Don Muang, even though officially immigration is not empowered to decide on conditions for granting tourist visas.

I have fantasised over what might happen if you had a tourist visas, a prefilled TM11 form, informed them you intended to appeal, and asked them to sign a statement saying that you were being denied entry for being in Thailand too long as a tourist. I am not recommending that course of action, but it is fun to think about.

I am under the impression that TM11 is for persons who fall under section 22 of the immigration act. Persons who have actually entered the Kingdom , and does not cover persons denied entry.

18 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Because she is lying, and is the one taking part in a criminal-conspiracy which victimizes many visitors. 

They denied you for an unlawful reason, and to avoid putting their criminal-behavior down on paper, they put a "real reason" which doesn't apply to you, instead.

Good call.  Not signing is no guarantee they won't put you in detention (has happened to others), but why "admit guilt" to their crime, and give them an out?

Many reports - one after the other.  Only at the criminal-run entry points, though.  All land-borders except Aranya/Poipet are fine.  No bad reports out of CM Airport either, if one has a Tourist Visa. 

Any similar bad reports at Phuket, I’ve not heard of any?

No matter what on the db8 about long-stay on tourista/ed...he got a great run for his money !!

11 years, try doing that anywhere in the world and that is exactly why so many choose LoS to stay long-term if they can.

However, it looks to be ending from June with many hot topic threads coming....

Now if I can just pull the trigger and marry my g/f or do a midnight run...'flip of the coin'

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, cerox said:

Interesting "prediction" that someone mentioned about proving residence elsewhere. But if that ever happened I would just go to Vietnam / Philippines. That is why I would advice people not to get too attached here - not having too much stuff, condo, cars etc. You should be able to leave within a few months if another place becomes much more favorable.

Sadly your advice is 9 years too late for me.

I already have 2 Thai kids and a house, but at least the house has 22 years left on the home loan, the bank will be out of pocket more than me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mstevens said:

Good on you for refusing to sign the document and making a stand on that

He made a stand based on his own reading of written Thai.  Why would anyone sign something in a language they do not understand?