After 11 years in Chiang Mai, I was Denied Entry

38 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

I don't expect Thai's to respect me, but what I do expect, from a country marketing itself as a retirement destination, is some certainty and surety in their visa system that legally permits expats to reside here, but we can't have foreigners actually having any rights, can we?

Seriously, out of the retired demographic, what is the percentage of foreigners committing crime, or destitute? 

All this 800k / 400k is a smoke screen for cheap farang loans to Thai banks.  

It can't be call emergency funds for an accident or illness because if you spend some of your 800k in pre or post seasoning, no visa, and is you spend some of your 400k at all, no visa. 

Vietnam is pay a flat fee and here is your visas.  No hoops to jump through. 

Actually even if you have a 1 year visa in Vietnam you still have to do a boarder run every 90 days. I know, it makes no sense but that is the system they have. They also give preference to Americans for 1 year visa. Go figure that. Those Americans still have to do the 90 day border runs. Crazy system.

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

All good things must come to an end. 

What's so good about living in Thailand? A third world authoritarian country where you cannot protest to injustices, air is filled with smogs, and sois are overflowing with stinking garbage, people drive like crazy, rules and regulations are bent to suit your needs, and police can demand a urine test randomly on the streets. Thailand is only good for cheap sex and drug. Now that Big Joks is gone, I hope African people are back in Sukumvit to hawk there wares, girls from African countries may try again for another shot at Thai prosperity along with Thai girls, and all night Sukumvit road side bars flourish again and night clubs scream their music till the wee hours of the morning.

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

The Immigration Officer is only trying to do her job. Why speak disparagingly about her?  You stayed in Thailand for 7 years?...On an education visa?... I would hope you can speak Thai fluently, I would like to think you became a medical doctor as well, but that's clearly not the case. And what does it mean, "if you'd look at me and know I'm no English teacher nor do i look like I have no money,"? I'm curious as to what you think English teachers look like? The one's I know look nondescript. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chodi25 said:

Actually even if you have a 1 year visa in Vietnam you still have to do a boarder run every 90 days. I know, it makes no sense but that is the system they have. They also give preference to Americans for 1 year visa. Go figure that. Those Americans still have to do the 90 day border runs. Crazy system.

Not true.

If you have a 1 year Vietnam visa, no boarder runs every 3 months.  Only a boarder run at the end of the 12 months, to get another 12 months. 

On 3/22/2019 at 6:17 AM, riclag said:

Mai mee bpat jai yang cheep

No money for support lifestyle or living

Thanks for the heads up and sorry for your issues 

Yes, I agree. I try to follow the rules and comply.

Nevertheless, I have some empathy for the poster. He got caught out on the constant rule changes.

I go to the regional immigration every few months. They tell me the new rules and ways to comply.

However, you need money in bank and an income stream of some sort. 

The head monk at the wat says he will burn me when I die.

I hope Thailand authorities allow me that. I hope they don't change the rules again.

45 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

The head monk at the wat says he will burn me when I die.

I hope Thailand authorities allow me that. I hope they don't change the rules again.

A cynical comment with a crumb of truth behind it ...

If your death is in any way suspicious, the Thai authorities will welcome a rapidly conducted cremation of your body. It inhibits any later investigation.

10 minutes ago, BritTim said:

A cynical comment with a crumb of truth behind it ...

If your death is in any way suspicious, the Thai authorities will welcome a rapidly conducted cremation of your body. It inhibits any later investigation.

I did not mean what you say. I meant when I die of natural causes, I will be burnt and the monks have said I will be treated with respect.

I meant that I want to die here in my own home, with a loving family. The monks say they can do that.

The Thai authorities give me no such guarantee

2 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

I go to the regional immigration every few months. They tell me the new rules and ways to comply.

I thought you stated in one of your previous posts that you were Thai?

2 hours ago, lkv said:

I thought you stated in one of your previous posts that you were Thai?

I am a farang living in Thailand. My wife is Thai.

I have never suggested to anyone that I am Thai or a citizen.

I wish I was.

I comply with every rule and rule change.

I smile and act subservient to Thai officials as do every Thai citizen.

I do this because my wife cannot come to my country and I wish to spend the rest of my life with her.

It must be love.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, jayboy said:

Excellent Thai speakers tend not to brag about it. Why should they? They operate on a different level to the Pattaya (used generically not geographically) mob 

Yes they have melded perfectly with the upper sections of Thai society, and become complete and utter snobs.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes they have melded perfectly with the upper sections of Thai society, and become complete and utter snobs.

A curious perception in which foreign speakers accomplished in the Thai language are somehow "snobs".

As a point of clarification, they certainly do not need to "meld" with the upper sections of Thai society. Many are quite ordinary school teachers, NGO workers, medics, academics and business people. Plain middle-class folk.

The key difference between them and the Pattaya mob (again used generically not geographically) is that they have the education and the character to put in the hard hours and intellectual effort.

And of course, it helps they do not learn the language from prostitutes.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/22/2019 at 11:47 AM, BritManToo said:

I actually started a thread about this, why do so many posters on this forum wish other people (they don't know) harm?

It's certainly a strange phenomenon. 

Because many old farts don't want competition from young, financially independent guys.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Chodi25 said:

Not really, there is 1 year visa when you don't need to exit. Just pay the fee, done.

You can also stay in Philippines for 18 months without leaving.

On 4/20/2019 at 2:58 PM, AtoZ said:

You can also stay in Philippines for 18 months without leaving.

The PI used to be 18 months, but I think it is up to 3 years now, w/o leaving, on a tourist entry (no advance-visa required).  You may be asked to show an outgoing flight (by the airline and PI immigration) - I forget how many months into the future the flight can be.

They also have long-stay options, but they don't try to force-feed them to you.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

On 4/20/2019 at 9:44 AM, jayboy said:

And of course, it helps they do not learn the language from prostitutes.

Best to learn the language of the people with whom you mix IMHO.

The schools only teach central Thai, and if you're outside Bangkok, nobody around you is speaking central Thai.

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Best to learn the language of the people with whom you mix IMHO.

The schools only teach central Thai, and if you're outside Bangkok, nobody around you is speaking central Thai.

No, but most Thais learned it in school, so you can still use it as a "common language" - at least with Thais under 50 or so.

34 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

No, but most Thais learned it in school, so you can still use it as a "common language" - at least with Thais under 50 or so.

You can use it as a common language, but you'll be left out of all conversations unless they're talking directly to you.

It's fine for commerce, but useless for your social life.

• Like 2

On 4/21/2019 at 10:18 PM, BritManToo said:

You can use it as a common language, but you'll be left out of all conversations unless they're talking directly to you.

It's fine for commerce, but useless for your social life.

Not really. If your social life is mainly revolving around the uneducated and bar workers, you may have a point.

8 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

What is the OP's reason for living here?

There are appropriate visas for those living here for:

Work.

Study.

Spouse or child.

Retirement

Genuine tourism.

Most tourists don't even need a visa due to the excellent 30 day Visa Exemption available to genuine tourists arriving for a 2-3-4 week holiday.

Some people feel they have some sort of right to simply rock up and live, simply because they want to. Doing so on repeated 'tourist' visas.

You don't. You don't have that right. 

Might be a bit of a hit to the ego. Eh. How dare they not grant me the right to simply show up and live here, and abuse their visa system to do so. 

And how would you feel if they changed the requirements needed for the visa you are living here on, and you couldn't meet the new requirements.  Would you then agree that you have no right to expect to be able to live here? 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Of course.

It is their country. As an alien, you simply cannot believe that you have some sort of God given right to simply live here for as long as you want, for whatever reason you want. 

It's really very, very simple. 

Correct, you can be ousted from Thailand with a stroke of a pen from Bangkok.

It is that simple. 

Edited by Thailand Outcast