Stop Brexit: A million people sign UK petition to stay in EU

webfact

Stop Brexit: A million people sign UK petition to stay in EU

2019-03-21T113253Z_1_LYNXNPEF2K0W6_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

An anti-Brexit protester waves an EU flag outside the Houses of Parliament in London, Britain March 20, 2019. REUTERS/Hannah McKay

LONDON (Reuters) - More than one million people have rushed to sign a petition on the British parliament's website calling for the government to revoke its divorce notice to the European Union and remain in the bloc.

Attracting thousands of signatures every few minutes, the petition took off in the hours after Prime Minister Theresa May made a televised address to the country late on Wednesday, criticising squabbling lawmakers for failing to agree an exit strategy and telling parliament to make a final choice.

"It is high time we made a decision," May said, telling Britons: "I am on your side."

EU leaders will tell May on Thursday she can have two months to organise an orderlyBrexit but Britain could face a disruptive ejection from the bloc next Friday if she fails to win backing from parliament.

More than 17 million Britons voted in favour of leaving the EU in a 2016 referendum while 16 million voted to remain, with May serving notice of the UK’s intent to leave under Article 50 of the EU’s Lisbon Treaty the following year.

The "Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU" petition had attracted 1,000,128 signatures by 1450 GMT, backed by support on social media, although the site appeared to be regularly crashing due to the large numbers trying to sign.

"The government repeatedly claims exiting the EU is 'the will of the people'. We need to put a stop to this claim by proving the strength of public support now, for remaining in the EU," the petition said.

Parliament must consider holding a debate on all petitions that gain more than 100,000 signatures.

Asked about May's view on revoking Article 50, her spokeswoman said: "That is not something she is prepared to do."

Supporters wrote on Twitter that the petition showed the strength of feeling against May's strategy while backers of Brexit said it needed to attract more signatures than the 17.4 million people who voted to leave the EU three years ago before anyone should take any notice.

More than 1.8 million people signed a petition calling for U.S. President Donald Trump to be prevented from making a state visit to Britain, leading to a debate in parliament in 2017.

More than 4 million people signed another petition in 2016 which called for another EU referendum in the event that neither the Remain or Leave camps achieved 60 percent of the vote.

(Reporting by Michael Holden and Kylie MacLellan; Editing by Giles Elgood and Stephen Addison)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-22

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More than one million people have rushed to sign a petition on the British parliament's website calling for the government to revoke its divorce notice to the European Union and remain in the bloc.

So what happened to the other 15 million or so who voted to remain?

10 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

I suspect we could get a million signatures on a petition for almost anything these days - reintroducing capital punishment, for example

29 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

More than one million people have rushed to sign a petition on the British parliament's website calling for the government to revoke its divorce notice to the European Union and remain in the bloc.

too busy shooting up or falling over in spoonies.

One million people sign UK petition to forever end democracy. Doesn't sound so great. I would like to see new laws introduced to ensure these million people can never vote or be involved in any way with politics - they just don't have the capacity to understand or respect votes that run against their wishes.

11 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

I can see it slipping away....sadly. But then there is June 30!!!!

back to the drawing board or maybe calling up the old guard from the NF and get back on the terraces recruiting new blood ????

4 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

One million people sign UK petition to forever end democracy. Doesn't sound so great. I would like to see new laws introduced to ensure these million people can never vote or be involved in any way with politics - they just don't have the capacity to understand or respect votes that run against their wishes.

And you have the audacity to talk about democracy.

4 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

One million people sign UK petition to forever end democracy. Doesn't sound so great.

they have entrusted their sovereign elected govt to do what it thinks best for the nation.

9 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

the next 2-4 GEs in the UK will be a total farce,wont be a majority govt in any of them,the brexit mess will take a generation to clean up.

Speaking to you from the UK.

Just passed 2 million.

Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU.

The government repeatedly claims exiting the EU is 'the will of the people'. We need to put a stop to this claim by proving the strength of public support now, for remaining in the EU. A People's Vote may not happen - so vote now.

Sign this petition

2,002,343 signatures

That's another 1 million in just over 6 hours.

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

Anti-Brexit Petition In U.K. Parliament Can Be Signed By Anyone, Anywhere

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2019/03/21/anti-brexit-petition-in-u-k-parliament-can-be-signed-by-anyone-anywhere/#6e4917bf6fa5

They should be a requirement to provide your national insurance number as part of any validation for any of these petitions

good,clapped out alcoholic unwashed ex pats in singha vests voted in june 2016 so i dont see a problem,

8 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2019/03/21/anti-brexit-petition-in-u-k-parliament-can-be-signed-by-anyone-anywhere/#6e4917bf6fa5

They should be a requirement to provide your national insurance number as part of any validation for any of these petitions

And I guess you want the NI numbers of all who turn up for this weekends No-Brexit march checking?!

Let’s do something else. Find out we’re the money to fund the Leave campaign came from.

3 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Speaking to you from the UK.

Just passed 2 million.

Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU.

The government repeatedly claims exiting the EU is 'the will of the people'. We need to put a stop to this claim by proving the strength of public support now, for remaining in the EU. A People's Vote may not happen - so vote now.

Sign this petition

2,002,343 signatures

try getting the 250,000 pros in thailand to sign,its in their interests as they wont be much trade of the baldy bulldogs at 30bt for the pound ???? 

How amusing to see those who actually give any significance to the fact that online signatures are some how a sign that peoples opinions have changed. I am waiting for those remainers to start blaming the Russians for these signatures.

Personally I don't believe it should be called news. It just shows how desperate the remain camp are to try and overturn the referendum result yet again. Pathetic really.

4 minutes ago, bomber said:

good,clapped out alcoholic unwashed ex pats in singha vests voted in june 2016 so i dont see a problem,

The difference is anyone that voted in the 2016 eu referendum was registered to vote

To vote in a referendum you must:

• be resident at an address in the UK or Gibraltar (or a British citizen living abroad who has been registered to vote in the UK in the last 15 years)

11 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

did nigel ask for your NI number and the other 50 marchers numbers when you left sunderland 

2 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

The difference is anyone that voted in the 2016 eu referendum was registered to vote

To vote in a referendum you must:

• be resident at an address in the UK or Gibraltar (or a British citizen living abroad who has been registered to vote in the UK in the last 15 years)

i didnt vote in 2016 and havent voted in a GE since the late 80s

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And I guess you want the NI numbers of all who turn up for this weekends No-Brexit march checking?!

Let’s do something else. Find out we’re the money to fund the Leave campaign came from.

without correct validation these petitions are meanless and pointless

34 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And you have the audacity to talk about democracy.

17 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I guess your not keen on validation  of these petitions then 

6 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I guess your not keen on validation  of these petitions then 

Irrelevant.

This petition is all over the news, all over social media - it’s even reached TVF.

Public support for ditching A50 is being discussed across the nation.

You can’t put that back in the box.

Which is precisely why you are thumping the keyboard trying to pretend this petition is irrelevant.

If it were you and the rest of the Brexiteers here would ignore it.

Archived