Stop Brexit: A million people sign UK petition to stay in EU

webfact

11 minutes ago, baboon said:

'You lost, get over it.'

'Remoaners'.

'Traitors!'

'Enemies of the People!'

'Now is the time for us all to unite.' Not going to happen now, is it? Not after 3 years of being shouted down and called names...

'Thick'

'uneducated'

'Morons'

'Lemmings'

'Xenophobes'

'Racists'

'Dunderheads'

Hardly words of endearment to 17.4 million people now is it Bb. The only thing that would unite the leavers and the remainers at the moment is a Norway + deal, everybody would hate it, with just one exception on here obviously.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talk about desperate measures. Next you will be hearing that some red bus had something to do with Brexit, people are uneducated, didn't understand what would happen or voted for and that the UK, will end up like North Korea, again.

Remainers think your playing on a website and pressing ‘send’ will help to Revoke Article 50. You’ll get sweet FA out if that.
Here’s an idea if you are so desperate: Hire a big red bus and give it a sticker saying ‘#RevokeArticle50’. You all think a bus did the trick for Leavers, so why not you?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 minutes ago, baboon said:

Given the worst offenders are in favour of a hard Brexit, I doubt they are about to shoot themselves in the foot...

The worst offenders are more than likely to be everyone that is not eligible to vote in the UK

27 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I have signed up 3 times does that count????? We all know it is as credible as an MP's expense sheet. Thanks for sharing though as it would seem some remainers on TV are hanging onto the desperate hope that people might actually think that this is credible evidence.

Talk about desperate measures. Next you will be hearing that some red bus had something to do with Brexit, people are uneducated, didn't understand what would happen or voted for and that the UK, will end up like North Korea, again.

The only way to lend it real credibility is to make it a second referendum ... and then we can test all the Brexiteer theories about "will of the people". By the look of Nigel Farage's march there doesn't seem to be much of that left.

9 minutes ago, vogie said:

'Thick'

'uneducated'

'Morons'

'Lemmings'

'Xenophobes'

'Racists'

'Dunderheads'

Hardly words of endearment to 17.4 million people now is it Bb. The only thing that would unite the leavers and the remainers at the moment is a Norway + deal, everybody would hate it, with just one exception on here obviously.

Yes, absolutely both sides were and are calling one another names. But then it is a bit rich to be calling for unity having done so, that was my point.

You forgot 'Gammon', by the way...

Edit: A deal which neither side likes is exactly what is deserved. No pudding for either...

22 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

There are plently of websites that list all the UK Postcodes so postcode is not a worthwhile validation

Even in elections and referendums there is election fraud. In previous petitions there has been fraud, There are ways and means to check, and I assume there were random selected signatures checked for validity, and the result adjusted accordingly to proportion of fraudulent signatures detected.

I am sure Laughing Gravy's signing 3 times will not make much difference, hope he knew to change his IP address and type with his other hand each time signed.???? 

Look who laughing now...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-47662526/brexit-three-moments-that-raised-a-smile

7 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Remainers think your playing on a website and pressing ‘send’ will help to Revoke Article 50. You’ll get sweet FA out if that.
Here’s an idea if you are so desperate: Hire a big red bus and give it a sticker saying ‘#RevokeArticle50’. You all think a bus did the trick for Leavers, so why not you?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It is going to give MP's a chance to save face...

Brexit is dead

4 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Even in elections and referendums there is election fraud. In previous petitions there has been fraud, There are ways and means to check, and I assume there were random selected signatures checked for validity, and the result adjusted accordingly to proportion of fraudulent signatures detected.

I am sure Laughing Gravy's signing 3 times will not make much difference, hope he knew to change his IP address and type with his other hand each time signed.???? 

Yes the Hoc petition IT people could upload the results against the electoral register database and remove anyone that is not found in the electoral register database

8 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

More than one million people have rushed to sign a petition on the British parliament's website calling for the government to revoke its divorce notice to the European Union and remain in the bloc.

So what happened to the other 15 million or so who voted to remain?

People aren't always bothered to go on-line and sign a petition. It said on this morning's BBC that it's now over 2 million so growing rapidly.

Petitions require 100k signatures to stimulate a debate/vote in parliament.

Big pro EU remaining rallies in the UK this weekend so expect that number on the petition to grow.

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

Yes the Hoc petition IT people could upload the results against the electoral register database and remove anyone that is not found in the electoral register database

Could do but they have not stated that one has to be on the electoral register to sign, but could be a good thing to add for the future.

As for NI numbers it could put people off signing as they will have to search around for documents with the number on it.

Again Registering first time users, who would  have to to provide credible info that is checked, could be combined with updating of the electoral register, would mean having to remember password though.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

You have to indicate the country you are living in, with a postcode, an email address and a tick to indicate you are a UK citizen (or UK resident). You will be sent an email link for confirmation. With petitions like this in the past, the system sometimes didn't work correctly if you said you were in Thailand. Different setup this time perhaps. I got it to work, without resorting to posting the postcode of my hometown.

Nearly 2.3 million signatures already, despite a breakdown.

My name isn't on any electoral roll anyway. It was removed because I had been out of my home country for 15 years, as was suggested might be a good idea by Auntie Margaret. Loss of that vote actually occurred under the New Labour of Thatcherite Tony Blair. It's interesting to see how this issue has riven the two main parties, but they both totally deserve it.

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

I'm sure that you are correct. If the original referendum had been lost to remain, you would have seen a far more vitriolic campaign by Brexiteers. 

Obviously not a very good school you went to. Politicians are here to discuss. The function of parliament is for your elected representatives to discuss an issue then vote accordingly in the best interests of the country. Mob rule by the proletariat doesn't come into it, which is why the referendum was purely advisory.

I also agree on this occasion, the HoC has ignored it's duty, 70% of MPs are pro remain, they know that it's in the best interest of the country but support Brexit for fear of losing their seats at the next election, an unfounded fear IMO. They have allowed mob rule to dictate the path vis-à-vis Brexit. Very undemocratic.

I can remember, many years ago, a groundswell of public opinion to bring back hanging, Newspaper campaigns, opinion polls etc. MPs, at that time, debated the issue, correctly ignored mob rule and kept capital punishment off the statute books. The correct use of democracy in the UK parliament.

Total garbage.

1 hour ago, Basil B said:

Brexit is dead

MP's just need a way to climb down without loosing face...

Brexit is meanwhile boring, dividing people and countries. Creates uncertainty and discord. The only tangible result after 3 years are new passports in EU colors. What a nonsense the whole thing. Pity for the time, money and resources.

27 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Could do but they have not stated that one has to be on the electoral register to sign, but could be a good thing to add for the future.

As for NI numbers it could put people off signing as they will have to search around for documents with the number on it.

Again Registering first time users, who would  have to to provide credible info that is checked, could be combined with updating of the electoral register, would mean having to remember password though.

Still think best way to go is National Insurance number since everyone knows who resides in Downing Street it only take a few minutes to create fake email address  but with National Insurance numbers normally a person only shares that information with the DWP, NHS and your employer

54 minutes ago, baboon said:

Yes, absolutely both sides were and are calling one another names. But then it is a bit rich to be calling for unity having done so, that was my point.

You forgot 'Gammon', by the way...

Edit: A deal which neither side likes is exactly what is deserved. No pudding for either...

Many Leavers have shown wisdom and insight with new knowledge and facts and have changed their minds - these terms are best applied to the hardcore who cling onto their comfort blanket of hard Brexit and would be the harbingers of chaos and doom. Don't forget to stock up tonight - democracy beckons....

39 minutes ago, Mexlark said:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

You have to indicate the country you are living in, with a postcode, an email address and a tick to indicate you are a UK citizen (or UK resident). You will be sent an email link for confirmation. With petitions like this in the past, the system sometimes didn't work correctly if you said you were in Thailand. Different setup this time perhaps. I got it to work, without resorting to posting the postcode of my hometown.

Nearly 2.3 million signatures already, despite a breakdown.

My name isn't on any electoral roll anyway. It was removed because I had been out of my home country for 15 years, as was suggested might be a good idea by Auntie Margaret. Loss of that vote actually occurred under the New Labour of Thatcherite Tony Blair. It's interesting to see how this issue has riven the two main parties, but they both totally deserve it.

There is a Tory MP that has brought forward a Private members bill to give you a vote for life overturning the 15 year rule

Overseas Electors Bill 2017-19

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-8223

18 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Still think best way to go is National Insurance number since everyone knows who resides in Downing Street it only take a few minutes to create fake email address  but with National Insurance numbers normally a person only shares that information with the DWP, NHS and your employer

I think the whole Idea is to keep it as simple as possible and not put hurdles in the way of people signing, if we had time it would be a valid pointer to re run the Referendum.

Pity the petition system could not be used to trigger a people vote (Referendum) say 1 or 2 or even 5 million signatories.

Or a General Election.

3 minutes ago, Basil B said:

I think the whole Idea is to keep it as simple as possible and not put hurdles in the way of people signing, if we had time it would be a valid pointer to re run the Referendum.

Pity the petition system could not be used to trigger a people vote (Referendum) say 1 or 2 or even 5 million signatories.

the only way i could see that working is everyone that is eligible to vote and registered to vote with the electoral commission is sent a voting card with a unique number  and the person when signing a petition or online referendum inputs their unique number when casting their vote

8 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Anti-Brexit Petition In U.K. Parliament Can Be Signed By Anyone, Anywhere

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2019/03/21/anti-brexit-petition-in-u-k-parliament-can-be-signed-by-anyone-anywhere/#6e4917bf6fa5

They should be a requirement to provide your national insurance number as part of any validation for any of these petitions

Every time there is a major petition we go through this, there are always some fraudulent signatures, what they do is take a sample from the submissions and check them against the electoral role.

1 hour ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Oh, I didn’t know you were comparing apples with oranges. 

I didn't count on you being so pedantic.

But on the other hand maybe you are right. We have already had a referendum, so this petition means nothing.

10 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

I can see it slipping away....sadly. But then there is June 30!!!!

June 30th? you need an update on that.  Petition showing over two and a half million signatures and rising but even if it makes twenty million it does mean that May would pay any attention to it.  She has donned her suicide vest and wants to take as many of us with her as she can!

But there has been a shift in the last week. MPs are now giving a different answer: that exercising the United Kingdom’s unilateral right to revoke Article 50 is an option they can get behind.

That opinion is also starting to be aired by MPs who are still diehard opponents of a second referendum. Why? Well, it’s partly because some opponents of a second referendum opposed the first and still believe referendums to be innately undesirable. For others, it is because the calculation is, as one put it: “A second referendum will cause huge political damage and might not stop Brexit. No-deal Brexit causes huge economic damage and huge political damage. Revoking at the last minute just causes huge political damage.”

That’s not to say that there is a majority in the House of Commons for revocation today. But it is to say I find it more plausible to imagine the emergence of a pro-revocation majority over the coming days than a pro-referendum one.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2019/03/could-article-50-be-revoked-growing-number-mps-think-soe

Archived