UK PM May's "reckless" Brexit message angers the lawmakers she needs to win over

webfact

UK PM May's "reckless" Brexit message angers the lawmakers she needs to win over

By Kylie MacLellan

2019-03-21T163009Z_1_LYNXNPEF2K1C8_RTROPTP_4_EU-SUMMIT.JPG

Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May attends a European Union leaders summit in Brussels, Belgium March 21, 2019. REUTERS/Yves Herman

LONDON (Reuters) - If British Prime Minister Theresa May hoped a televised address late on Wednesday would help persuade wavering lawmakers to support her Brexitdeal, it appears to have backfired, instead alienating the very people she needs to win over.

On Thursday, lawmakers lined up to attack the statement in which May blamed parliament for the need to seek a delay to Britain's March 29 European Union exit. They branded it dangerous, reckless, toxic and irresponsible.

May's Brexit deal has twice been crushed by parliament, first in January in the largest government defeat in modern history and again this month by a smaller, yet still sizeable, margin. She needs to win over at least 75 lawmakers to get it through.

"The Prime Minister's statement was disgraceful," said opposition Labour lawmaker Lisa Nandy, who represents a Brexit-supporting area. "Pitting parliament against the people in the current environment is dangerous and reckless," she added on Twitter. "She's attacking the MPs (Members of Parliament) whose votes she needs. It will have cost her support."

Nandy had put forward a proposal which backed May's deal on the condition parliament has a greater say in the next phase of Brexit talks, but told ITV: "I will not support a government that takes such a dangerous, reckless approach to democracy."

After writing to the EU on Wednesday to request a three-month delay to Brexit, May told Britons parliament had done "everything possible to avoid making a choice".

"Of this I am absolutely sure: you the public have had enough. You are tired of the infighting. You are tired of the political games and the arcane procedural rows," she said in the televised statement from her Downing Street office.

"You want this stage of the Brexit process to be over and done with. I agree. I am on your side. It is now time for MPs to decide."

May's statement succeeded in uniting both pro-Brexit and pro-EU lawmakers - against her.

"If you are trying to persuade numbers of MPs to back a proposition, you don't do that by insulting them," pro-Brexit Conservative lawmaker Mark Francois told Sky News.

Conservative Sam Gyimah, who quit as a government minister over the Brexit deal and now supports a second referendum, said May resorting to a "blame game" was "all part of her strategy to run down the clock and rule out other options. Toxic."

"DIAL DOWN THE HATE"

Several lawmakers said they had received death threats in recent weeks as Brexit has come to a head in parliament, and warned May's comments had fuelled the flames.

"Last week I received a message saying that my head should be chopped off," said Labour lawmaker Paula Sherriff, who represents an electoral district neighbouring one where Labour lawmaker Jo Cox was killed by a man obsessed with extreme right-wing ideology a week before the 2016 Brexit vote.

"I apprehended the prime minister last Thursday evening and I begged her 'dial down the hate prime minister,'" she told parliament. "People are frightened ... and the prime minister must show some leadership."

Fellow Labour lawmaker Wes Streeting said May's speech had been incendiary, warning on Twitter "If any harm comes to any of us, she will have to accept her share of responsibility."

Asked about the suggestion May's speech had put lawmakers at risk, her spokeswoman said: "I would flatly reject that."

"It was a message to the public on a significant decision she has taken," she said.

In response to the concerns, parliament's Speaker, John Bercow, told lawmakers: "None of you is a traitor, all of you are doing your best ... I believe passionately in the institution of parliament, in the rights of members of this House and in their commitment to their duty."

"The sole duty of every member of parliament is to do what he or she thinks is right."

(Editing by Stephen Addison)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-22

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ho much long can she last ? She has alienated everybody now. Her refusal to countenance anything but her deal  is pushing the country towards no deal.

Will the be a palace coup or a vote of no confidence next week? 

5 minutes ago, tebee said:

Her refusal to countenance anything but her deal  is pushing the country towards no deal.

May always, always takes the line of least resistance and sides with the most powerful party. That is what she has done throughout her political rise. She knows nothing else.

Unfortunately for her, this doesn't work in this set of circumstances. But that doesn't stop her from trying it over and over. It has always worked in the past, so it must work again is her thought process.

The most powerful actor in Brexit is the EU. The EU wants to ensure that the maximum power rests with the EU Commission. Brexit weakens that through the exit of its second largest economy and through the appearance of a trend of the EU getting smaller and less relevant. Thus when the UK leaves, the EU Commission has to ensure it leaves on very poor terms to send a very strong message to others. So May's political instincts are to cosy up to the EU. She does this and comes back with a very weak wishy-washy deal. This is rejected by Parliament and the British people unsurprisingly. And then she repeats it over and over hoping to wear the weaker parties down.

What she needs to do is be bold. By using other out of the box negotiation tactics. By simply calling the EU's bluff and going for a hard Brexit. By calling the leaver's bluff and calling a second referendum. By resigning. But she can't do that because she is not that type of politician. It is always caution with her by siding with the establishment and the most powerful player.

29 minutes ago, tebee said:

Ho much long can she last ? She has alienated everybody now. Her refusal to countenance anything but her deal  is pushing the country towards no deal.

Will the be a palace coup or a vote of no confidence next week? 

Most of the Tories supporting her will be out of a job come the next election, including the party chairman Bradon Lewis, who presides over a constiuancy that voted to leave by 72%, Great Yarmout, we were never asked about a "deal" the vote was to leave.

He no longer has much support there

47 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

Most of the Tories supporting her will be out of a job come the next election, including the party chairman Bradon Lewis, who presides over a constiuancy that voted to leave by 72%, Great Yarmout, we were never asked about a "deal" the vote was to leave.

What’s the problem with Toris being out of a job?

Tory Brexit wrecks Tories.

So many Brexit threads and so little time left - come on Parliament 'do your thang' and Revoke Article 50 and let's call the whole advisory thing off and get back to real issues affecting the UK not this 1000 day nonsensical distraction.  For our American freinds, it's tor-mart-to btw.

She certainly seems to be alienating the very people that she needs to get her stinker of a deal through.

Hopefully this is another step towards a clean break on WTO terms on 29 March (or April/May at the latest).

1 hour ago, bartender100 said:

What are you talking about?   You weren't asked about a deal, you were assured, like the rest of us, that not only would we get a deal, but that it would be "one of the easiest in human history".

She certainly seems to be alienating the very people that she needs to get her stinker of a deal through.  

Hopefully this is another step towards a clean break on WTO terms on 29 March (or April/May at the latest).

12 April at the earliest. But it's clear that both the EU and parliament will now have time to decide something (May's deal, Common Market 2.0, Norway Plus, or revoke Article 50) to avoid No Deal. 

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

Her surrender agreement has already been kicked out twice. How can it be put to parliament again? Unless there is some collusion with Remainer Bercow, we should be out No Deal by 12 April.
So there probably be more biased rule bending be Bercow and the meaningless vote is held again next week. Of course it will be rejected again, after it’s two previous humiliations for May. Back to a slightly delayed Brexit on 12 April.
Her deal could only be passed if all the CON rebels are brought back under control. That’s not going to happen, so it would need LAB to change their votes. They are overwhelmingly Remainers anyway, so BRINO could suit them if the party lines change. Why was Corbyn on a Brussels trip and is now talking ‘compromise’?
The cross party Remain plot thickens.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Of this I am absolutely sure: you the public have had enough. You are tired of the infighting. You are tired of the political games and the arcane procedural rows," she said in the televised statement from her Downing Street office.

"You want this stage of the Brexit process to be over and done with. I agree. I am on your side. It is now time for MPs to decide."

I think what most are tired of is you and your ineptitude...

24 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Her surrender agreement has already been kicked out twice. How can it be put to parliament again? Unless there is some collusion with Remainer Bercow, we should be out No Deal by 12 April.
So there probably be more biased rule bending be Bercow and the meaningless vote is held again next week. Of course it will be rejected again, after it’s two previous humiliations for May. Back to a slightly delayed Brexit on 12 April.
Her deal could only be passed if all the CON rebels are brought back under control. That’s not going to happen, so it would need LAB to change their votes. They are overwhelmingly Remainers anyway, so BRINO could suit them if the party lines change. Why was Corbyn on a Brussels trip and is now talking ‘compromise’?
The cross party Remain plot thickens.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

"Of course it will be rejected again, after it’s two previous humiliations for May."

Whilst I fully agree with the rest of your post, I'm not entirely sure of the above - but it is funny to see the uk MPs and the eu squirming to find a way around this.  It will be even funnier if bercow changes his mind and decides that yet another vote on the same issue is (after all....) allowed!

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

Next Friday will be interesting...

20K max and a small minority of yobbish far-right EDL mob will sully the proceedings with their bigoted bile. But at least Nigel will be there having miserably left his hundred marchers sans leader as they trudge virtually unnoticed and friendless on their pointless march. Saturday is the People's Vote march ......

https://www.peoples-vote.uk/march

3 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

20K max and a small minority of yobbish far-right EDL mob will sully the proceedings with their bigoted bile. But at least Nigel will be there having miserably left his hundred marchers sans leader as they trudge virtually unnoticed and friendless on their pointless march. Saturday is the People's Vote march ......

https://www.peoples-vote.uk/march

A wise decision not to be in town when the proper one arrives next week.

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

"Of course it will be rejected again, after it’s two previous humiliations for May."

Whilst I fully agree with the rest of your post, I'm not entirely sure of the above - but it is funny to see the uk MPs and the eu squirming to find a way around this.  It will be even funnier if bercow changes his mind and decides that yet another vote on the same issue is (after all....) allowed!

if you had a sovereign parliament you could just totally disregard the speaker

and his stone age rules and debate and decide on what parliament fancy

who is the ultimate decision maker in UK, PM and Speaker or parliament?

time to leave the medieval ages now

7 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

I'd prefer to think the electorate - but realise that this is not the case....

30 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

But somebody made a valid remark yesterday, that the party that accrues the most votes may not end up in government, is that being democratic. Whilst I favoured PR, not too sure now.

Just revoke article 50. It's clear the people pushing for Brexit did not have a coherent plan in place to get it done in a reasonable manner in this time frame. If there's still a strong appetite for leaving, the Tories, or any other party, can put it in their manifesto for the next election. The people must be allowed to change their minds when confronted with new evidence. And if it turns out they haven't changed their minds, at least do it right and don't make an absolute mess of it as is happening at the moment.

Just revoke article 50. It's clear the people pushing for Brexit did not have a coherent plan in place to get it done in a reasonable manner in this time frame. If there's still a strong appetite for leaving, the Tories, or any other party, can put it in their manifesto for the next election. The people must be allowed to change their minds when confronted with new evidence. And if it turns out they haven't changed their minds, at least do it right and don't make an absolute mess of it as is happening at the moment.

Article 50 won’t be revoked and there will be no second referendum. There is now an even stronger appetite for Leave among the electorate and the political elites know that. They cannot risk the potential political and possibly social turmoil that would result from an obvious thwarting of a democratic referendum.
They didn’t even make a coherent plan. They only crave their EU ideology, at any expense to the national interest. Remainers have consistently tried to cling to the EU tails by subterfuge. They are even willing to settle for it under May’s worse deal in the world, of BRINO. This is where the mess comes from.

Article 50 won’t be revoked and there will be no second referendum. There is now an even stronger appetite for Leave among the electorate and the political elites know that. They cannot risk the potential political and possibly social turmoil that would result from an obvious thwarting of a democratic referendum.
They didn’t even make a coherent plan. They only crave their EU ideology, at any expense to the national interest. Remainers have consistently tried to cling to the EU tails by subterfuge. They are even willing to settle for it under May’s worse deal in the world, of BRINO. This is where the mess comes from.
I think revoking Article 50 is as likely as No Deal. Once May's deal is defeated again, there is now time for votes on other options. A majority most likely exists for Common Market 2.0 or Norway Plus. A sensible compromise which won't please hard-core Brexiteers or Remainers like me, but is about the best we can get.

What a shambles, all thanks to the worst PM in history, David Cameron.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I think revoking Article 50 is as likely as No Deal. Once May's deal is defeated again, there is now time for votes on other options. A majority most likely exists for Common Market 2.0 or Norway Plus. A sensible compromise which won't please hard-core Brexiteers or Remainers like me, but is about the best we can get.

The problem being MPs seen to vote for that are unlikely to be re-elected.

Archived