Police discuss harsher driving offence penalties

webfact

4 hours ago, Morty T said:

Which heads are you talking about ? The Police are doing what they are supposed to, enforcing the current law, it's unfortunate, but 144 traffic tickets within one year isn't against the law. I agree harsher penalties need to be imposed, but until it is actually made/put into the law, blaming the police is just a straw dog. 

Not sure what point you are trying to make but I would have thought that 144 tickets is in fact breaking the law..... To the tune of 144 times. 

Am I missing something in your post? 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All i can say is be careful what you wish for, after 20 years of driving here ive only had a couple of tickets, the cops have always been polite,and you can have a laugh and joke with them most of the time, and ive driven all over the country in cars and on bikes,as long as you have a licence, no problem.

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

Are the thirty odd million tourist all walking around Thailand now? 

It's the other half of the equation. How many more would drive and take buses and vans than do now? Most likely thousands and exponentially every year. Thailand is not an isolated little backwater although it may seem so. Many foreigners are told to not drive when they arrive.

15 hours ago, Morty T said:

blaming the police is just a straw dog. 

Straw dog, get off the turps mate.

What part of Thailand do you live ?

Cops here are keystone cops, not interested in enforcing any laws passed, too hot out there, better in the air conditioned office.

You might see them out in force for an hour or two at best collecting their monthly revenues to meet targets, blaming them is called for in my opinion.

Agree other things need to be passed into law and then maybe they will get off their butts, but I won't hold my breath, 144 times in a year, ah how about cancelling his licence, or compounding the truck, don't tell me because it might not be law, that they cannot do what they want to do here in Thailand. 

13 hours ago, Time to grow said:

Yes, traffic laws need to be enforced but lets be careful what we wish for. Fascism is not the answer and not a place I want to live. I think that's why many of us came to Thailand in the first place. If you want totalitarian control, there is plenty of that in the West.

You fit right in Thailand then, no doubt you have no family to worry about when on the road, like I said you fit right in, Thai's as you know only think about themselves, so watch out for that truck when it comes around the corner mate.

18 hours ago, Time to grow said:

Yes, traffic laws need to be enforced but lets be careful what we wish for. Fascism is not the answer and not a place I want to live. I think that's why many of us came to Thailand in the first place. If you want totalitarian control, there is plenty of that in the West.

Do you not step outside the bar onto the street- amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 3/22/2019 at 7:03 AM, Jeffrey346 said:

Drink driving.. Is that the same as Drunk Driving?????

Nope - drink driving means drinking while driving - drunk driving means drunk while driving - a small but significant difference ... :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, ttrd said:

Nope - drink driving means drinking while driving - drunk driving means drunk while driving - a small but significant difference ... :thumbsup:

I think it's just more of just what they call it in some countries such as the UK and Oz.  Different countries, different ways of saying it.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunk_driving

Drunk driving

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Drunk driving (Drink driving in the UK and Australia) is the act of driving a motor vehicle (car, truck, etc.) while under the effects of alcohol. Drunk driving is illegal in most areas of the world. In some places, driving a motorless vehicle such as a bicycle while drunk is also illegal.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-the-Brits-call-it-drink-driving-instead-of-drunk-driving-You-are-not-driving-drinks

Why do the Brits call it "drink driving" instead of "drunk driving"?

Need to start with education. Have proper driving tests that can only be taken once a certified driving instructor deems you ready and capable of taking the test. Second, yes link up the data bases so each car has a designated driver and nobody else can drive the vehicle unless insured to do so and introduce the points system. Third, enforce the law at all times, not just when they decide to massively inconvenience all motorists by setting up "tea money" road blocks at the end of the month. Lastly, take all road penalties away from the police and have all fines paid to an independent body answering to the court.

If they are serious about it then this is the only tried and tested route.

Archived