Hundreds more targeted in immigration crackdown on illegal foreigners - tally tops 8,000

webfact

Hundreds more targeted in immigration crackdown on illegal foreigners - tally tops 8,000

1pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

The deputy commander of immigration told the press this morning of the latest arrests in a long running crackdown to rid the country of over-stayers, people illegally entering on tourist visas, scammers, skimmers and Thais breaking the law by not reporting their whereabouts. 

Maj-Gen Itthiphon Itthisanranachai was speaking on behalf of immigration and a large number of other police departments outside The Street on Rachadapisek in Bangkok at 1 am this morning. 

The latest sweep checked 229 places such as hotels, schools (both language and private), restaurants and private addresses. In total 490 people were arrested. 

Most were Thais and people from neighboring countries. 

The Maj-Gen said he was following government orders to rid the country of romance scammers, ATM skimmers and drug dealers. The Thai Rath story then gave no evidence that anyone had been arrested for those matters. 

Here are the details: 

1. Arrested for overstay: Total 14. This comprised three each from India and Vietnam, two from Laos and Cameroon and one each from Myanmar, Cambodia Switzerland and the US. 

2. Arrested for entering Thailand illegally: Total 338. Comprising 141 from Myanmar, Laos 110, Cambodia 85, Vietnam and India one each. 

3. Others 138: These included 70 cases of not reporting an alien's whereabouts within 24 hours, 20 not staying at a registered address, 16 illegal workers and 32 unspecified "others".

For the third category the tally was as follows: Thai 83, Myanmar 27, Cambodia 9, Laos 4, India 3, Thai (mentioned again for some unspecified reason in the report) 2, China, Vietnam and Russia 2 each, and one each for France, Poland, South Korea and Canada. 

Of the 229 places searched 68 were businesses and shops, 6 were entertainment venues, 62 hotels and other accommodation and 93 others. 

The total since the crackdown began - and this time Thai Rath did not give it a name - was 7,145 places searched and 8,400 arrested. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-22

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, webfact said:

These included 70 cases of not reporting an alien's whereabouts within 24 hours

So, you can now get arrested for this? There must be thousands out there that don't comply. I only did it for the first time in November, and that was online.

1 minute ago, madmitch said:

So, you can now get arrested for this? There must be thousands out there that don't comply. I only did it for the first time in November, and that was online.

Isn't that an offence by the (Thai) owner, not the occupier

12 minutes ago, madmitch said:

How did you report on-line, isnt that only available to hotels etc. Do you have a link to the reporting site ?

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

How did you report on-line, isnt that only available to hotels etc. Do you have a link to the reporting site ?

There's a thread here but it relates to Phuket. I'm not sure if this is available nationwide. Very useful though.

Someone was knocking on my condo door at 4 AM a couple of days ago, I was a bit worried because this has never happened before.

I was naked so had to dress quickly.  Then I looked through the door and I saw 2 guys in uniform. I was still very tired and couldn't see clearly , but I could feel my pulse raising.  So this is how it feels like to be a wanted criminal, I was thinking to myself. 

Well, luckily they were the security guards and not immigration officials. They pointed at my silent fire alarm, it was faulty and had gone off so they came running. At least someone is doing their job. 

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

Isn't it housemaster or hotel duty to report? Not foreigner at all.

As well didnt they said couple months ago there's no single overstayer in TH now. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

tally tops 8,000

Tally, over what period? This year? Since Big Joke started making us laugh and upping the ante? A 'since when' date would add a tad more meaning to the news.

watch your fingers, clang !

Worry more when they stake you to the ground, cover you in jam and set the ants free.

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

How did you report on-line, isnt that only available to hotels etc.

I was led to believe that you can report TM30 online as long as you sign up to do it by registering at your local immigration office? The same way as the hotels etc have to do.

6 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

I was led to believe that you can report TM30 online as long as you sign up to do it by registering at your local immigration office? The same way as the hotels etc have to do.

Usually only available to businesses, not individuals.

NB The website is in Thai so unless you read and write Thai it is not much use! 

29 minutes ago, KarlS said:

The website is in Thai so unless you read and write Thai it is not much use! 

Cuz it's the Thai that has to do the reporting.

You have to register in order to use the online reporting. It is primarily meant to be used by hotels and etc but a few immigration offices allow individuals to register.

This is the login  page for doing it. https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24online/

4 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

Cuz it's the Thai that has to do the reporting.

Go to your local Immigration office and ask to be registered as a user. If they agree they will provide you with the link and a password

3 hours ago, webfact said:

3. Others 138: These included 70 cases of not reporting an alien's whereabouts within 24 hours, 20 not staying at a registered address, 16 illegal workers and 32 unspecified "others".

Watch out. 2 of them look to be a potential could be ball breaker here being intertwined with each other for how they could abuse it. Come back from a trip, stay at a hotel and they get you for not staying at your registered address. Or if weekend, then over the 24 hours. Yikes on this report.

1 minute ago, Kasset Tak said:

The law says that you have to report your change of address withing 24 hours, even if you are out traveling around. (I asked about it at Changwattana once and was told that "Yeah, it's the law, but as long as you aren't away more than 14 days from that address, then you don't really need to report as you are still living on that address, and you are just traveling around.). That's TM 28 that you must report to immigration.
The law says that the house owner must report you living in/at their house/hotel/etc. That's TM 30 that the house owner must report to immigration.

The Law says the owner/housemaster or possessor(OCCUPANT) must make the report

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24online/

its Valid for everyone , not only for Hotels.

Register online with Original Thai ID card, Tabien ban, Original Scanned, and send to them through above link, after 2 or 3 days they will send you 

Username and Password in your email

Login and Use the service.

Thanks

4 hours ago, balo said:

Someone was knocking on my condo door at 4 AM a couple of days ago, I was a bit worried because this has never happened before.

I was naked so had to dress quickly.  Then I looked through the door and I saw 2 guys in uniform. I was still very tired and couldn't see clearly , but I could feel my pulse raising.  So this is how it feels like to be a wanted criminal, I was thinking to myself. 

Well, luckily they were the security guards and not immigration officials. They pointed at my silent fire alarm, it was faulty and had gone off so they came running. At least someone is doing their job. 

When you have thoughts like this it is truly the time to find another country.  Thailand is not welcoming anymore.

I came back to my home in Ban Khok Phetchabun on 9th December 2018 by air from UK ! At Passport Control there was no mention of the 24 hour reporting at your Local Immigration office ?

A friend phoned me to tell me as I arrived on Sunday 9th Dec 18 I had time to do it on Monday 10th

Why where people not informed of this Law ? Why does going through Passport Control at Suvarnabhumi and presenting your entry card and Yellow Book with your address not count as reporting ? TIT. ????

3 hours ago, Xaos said:

Isn't it housemaster or hotel duty to report? Not foreigner at all.

As well didnt they said couple months ago there's no single overstayer in TH now. 

Big Joke said there was ZERO overstayer as of November 2018. What a bloody joke.

Or maybe everybody started to sneak back in from December onwards...

Archived