Hundreds more targeted in immigration crackdown on illegal foreigners - tally tops 8,000

webfact

4 minutes ago, outsider said:

Big Joke said there was ZERO overstayer as of November 2018. What a bloody joke.

Or maybe everybody started to sneak back in from December onwards...

Although I agree it was a foolish thing to say and was undoubtedly incorrect and never will be, however, logic says that if it were true, it could only be on the day it was said, as the next day would, in all likely hood, have more on overstay that should have left the day before.............. and so it goes on.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mickymouse1 said:

Where is BJ????????????????????????

Haven't fronted these operations since he beat his chest and said there were zero overstayers in Thailand as of November 2018, and then the media reporting more arrests a few days later. A complete loss of face, perhaps? That's why this Itthiphon is now heading this midnight show, maybe? Big Joke doesn't need to feel embarrassed actually. Most Thai officials do that - shoot themselves in the mouth with a huge canon. What's more, Big Joke has a name to go with it - he's a born natural.

Immigration’s tally of foreigners arrested hits 8,400

By KIttipong Maneerit 
The Nation

180d4d6dde79620f580b7a474b6598a4.jpeg

Another 490 foreigners were caught in the latest Immigration Police dragnet this week, which involved simultaneous raids at 229 locales around the country.

It was the 46th such crackdown and brought the total number of locations searched to 7,145 and the number of arrests to 8,400.

127a88632d21939badbe6f71bcc4ce39.jpeg

Immigration Police Bureau deputy chief Pol Maj-General Itthipol Itthisarnronnachai had the customary press conference at 1am Friday in front of a Bangkok mall and said 338 of the people arrested were charged with entering Thailand illegally. 

There were 110 from Laos, 141 from Myanmar, 85 from Cambodia and one each from Vietnam and India.

Fourteen people – three each from India and Vietnam, two each from Laos and Cameroon and one each from Myanmar, Cambodia, Switzerland and the United States – are accused of overstaying their visas.

A variety of charges were hung on the other 138 people arrested, among them 85 Thais, most of whom allegedly failed to report within 24 hours they had foreigners staying on their premises. 

The 27 from Myanmar, nine from Cambodia, four from Laos, three from India, two each from China, Vietnam and Russia and one each from France, Poland, South Korea and Canada allegedly either failed to report their stay at specified addresses or violated the law on Foreign Worker Management.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30366293

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-22

2 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Although I agree it was a foolish thing to say and was undoubtedly incorrect and never will be, however, logic says that if it were true, it could only be on the day it was said, as the next day would, in all likely hood, have more on overstay that should have left the day before.............. and so it goes on.

I completely agree with your logic and it makes bloody sense really. I mean, no way it can be zero, right? I just can't imagine why the officials can be so stupid and not have a brain-mouth filter.

3 hours ago, Xaos said:

Isn't it housemaster or hotel duty to report? Not foreigner at all.

As well didnt they said couple months ago there's no single overstayer in TH now. 

House master can also be a foreigner as well as being  the person who need to report him / herself. 

4 minutes ago, Benroon said:

How would you feel if two uniformed people knocked on your door at 4am in ANY country ?

Less hysteria please

In my country relieved that they knocked rather than took the door off (note: only really at risk of this if you posted something on social media someone was offended by)

5 hours ago, fforest1 said:

My guess is number of people who always report their where abouts with-out fail is a tiny drop in the tourist/expat bucket..

Samutprakan immigration is asking for the TM30 - house registration - receipt when doing 90 day report. Never had that before.

6 hours ago, madmitch said:

So, you can now get arrested for this? There must be thousands out there that don't comply. I only did it for the first time in November, and that was online.

The overstayers, the illegal entrants, fair enough, boot them out, but this 24 hour reporting m'larky? I don't see how this fits in the picture because at the end of the day 99% of those responsible for the reporting are Thais. They cannot seriously be trying to blame the foreigner for that one sare they? If they do, it should be interesting when some of these end up in court.

22 minutes ago, Benroon said:

How would you feel if two uniformed people knocked on your door at 4am in ANY country ?

Less hysteria please

I don't understand your point. I am saying if you have worries or situations that leave you to believe that immigration could come see you anytime at 4 am in the morning when you are legally here then there is something wrong with the system.  Time for a change.  No hysteria here just common sense.

31 minutes ago, webfact said:

two each from China, Vietnam and Russia and one each from France, Poland, South Korea and Canada allegedly either failed to report their stay at specified addresses or violated the law on Foreign Worker Management.

If now we can be arrested for residing in Thailand with a valid visa but without properly reporting our address, Then it is probably in our best interest to try and forget this place and move on... ????

6 hours ago, mommysboy said:

'The Maj-Gen said he was following government orders to rid the country of romance scammers, ATM skimmers and drug dealers. The Thai Rath story then gave no evidence that anyone had been arrested for those matters. '

Lol

if they were to get rid of the ATM skimmers, many here would be without a wife of gf 555

40 minutes ago, LongTang said:

If now we can be arrested for residing in Thailand with a valid visa but without properly reporting our address, Then it is probably in our best interest to try and forget this place and move on... ????

This is rather insane isn't it? Just to add to the farce, let's say the guy has been married for decades on an O visa for decades, owns a condo and has a child which has graduated from a Thai university. Both child and wife work for the government in some capacity.

Yeah, absurd. Absolutely absurd.

It's a scene right out of the movie Brazil

"Can't make a move without a form..."

Thailand has made it's own bed. People have been paying agencies and "officials" cash for years and years to turn a blind eye. So, yes when they clamp down the figures can look big. 

I wonder how many who pay regularly for "being looked after" have been raided?

Anyway, Thailand has every right to clean up it's act. and enforce it's laws. It will put a lot of agencies and visa runners out of business I am sure because if it is the strict way and no other way there will be no need for the friendly agencies that take a chunk of cash to circumnavigate the law. I am referring to retirees in this case.

A lot of retirees will be leaving and a lot of companies will be thinking twice about employing illegally. 

6 hours ago, balo said:

Someone was knocking on my condo door at 4 AM a couple of days ago, I was a bit worried because this has never happened before.

I was naked so had to dress quickly.  Then I looked through the door and I saw 2 guys in uniform. I was still very tired and couldn't see clearly , but I could feel my pulse raising.  So this is how it feels like to be a wanted criminal, I was thinking to myself. 

Well, luckily they were the security guards and not immigration officials. They pointed at my silent fire alarm, it was faulty and had gone off so they came running. At least someone is doing their job. 

I am curious as to what is a silent fire alarm and what is the use If it is not audible, unless of course it activates on a monitored control panel?

6 hours ago, balo said:

Someone was knocking on my condo door at 4 AM a couple of days ago, I was a bit worried because this has never happened before, I was naked so had to dress quickly. 

Too much information. lol

6 hours ago, balo said:

Good thing we don’t have a mob like America’s DEMOCRAZYS here, or

they’d be Accusing Thailand of “TRUMPISM.”

Just goes to show that every SANE country has LAWS and boots out those who enter/stay illegally.

1 hour ago, GAZZPA said:

Thailand has made it's own bed. People have been paying agencies and "officials" cash for years and years to turn a blind eye. So, yes when they clamp down the figures can look big. 

I wonder how many who pay regularly for "being looked after" have been raided?

Anyway, Thailand has every right to clean up it's act. and enforce it's laws. It will put a lot of agencies and visa runners out of business I am sure because if it is the strict way and no other way there will be no need for the friendly agencies that take a chunk of cash to circumnavigate the law. I am referring to retirees in this case.

A lot of retirees will be leaving and a lot of companies will be thinking twice about employing illegally. 

"A lot of retirees will be leaving" Yes. a lot of retirees who spend an awful lot of money over the year! 

8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

How did you report on-line, isnt that only available to hotels etc. Do you have a link to the reporting site ?

I was told by our IO you can do it on line,there is a link on their web site but it is in thai,cheers

9 hours ago, madmitch said:

So, you can now get arrested for this? There must be thousands out there that don't comply. I only did it for the first time in November, and that was online.

The owner of a hotel, Inn, guest house, etc., is required to get report the presence of any foreigner staying in their establishment. Many do not and are breaking the law.

3 hours ago, UglyBug said:

I came back to my home in Ban Khok Phetchabun on 9th December 2018 by air from UK ! At Passport Control there was no mention of the 24 hour reporting at your Local Immigration office ?

A friend phoned me to tell me as I arrived on Sunday 9th Dec 18 I had time to do it on Monday 10th

Why where people not informed of this Law ? Why does going through Passport Control at Suvarnabhumi and presenting your entry card and Yellow Book with your address not count as reporting ? TIT. ????

As a foreigner with a permanent address, you don't have to report. This was told to me by immigration in July 2018.

If you have your Tabien Baan, your yellow book, then you don't need to report to immigration on your return. Your next contact with immigration, assuming your visa's not going to expire in the meantime, will be your 90-day reporting.

I think immigration should come up with a tourist a tracking device which every tourist need to wear once after they pass the immigration check that comes with a few functions like for overstayed (red light), romance scammers (pink light), ATM skimmers (blue light)and drug dealers (yellow light) and so on for every tourist. So they can track the tourist whereabouts rather than searching for places like 7-11, shops, entertainment venues, hotels and accommodation. It will be a great idea and easy to arrest those criminals especially the pink light lol. Because they are heading for Thailand version 4.0.

47BAC36C-4CDF-4A17-A8FD-BC2F3B099E87.jpeg

Archived