BANGKOK 19 April 2019 03:44
Henryford

Air Asia travel with Driving Licence as ID (Domestic)

Posted (edited)

I am applying for a new British passport early in April at Bangkok. I understand you can keep the old passport for ID purposes (but not international travel). I am thinking of taking a domestic Air Asia flight later in April within Thailand, which will be before i get my new passport. Can i use the old one as ID for my flight, or say my Thai Driving Licence, or can i not travel until i get the new one?

Edited by Henryford

Old passport should be fine.

In theory any official photo ID should be OK for domestic travel, but in practice they expect a Thai ID card for Thai People and a passport for foreigners.

• Like 2

You can use any form of official ID for domestic fights

• Like 1

Your old passport will be ok. Your old passport is not defaced in any way until the appointment where you collect your new passport.

I always show my Thai ID for domestic flights... That being said I always travel with my passport/visa as hotels require it...

• Like 1

Used my thai driver licence for domestic flight I January. No problem at all. But ofcause I had my passport with me, because I was travelling out of my province.

• Like 1

I have used my Thai drivers license several times, no problems.

But my gf who is from Myanmar has a Thai drivers license and was refused because the number on it is linked to her official ID which is restricted to Chiang Mai and wasn't allowed to fly unless she had "some" letter to say she was allowed.

Just recently checked this with both Air Asia and Nok on their call centers. Both said a valid passport is needed for ID ( a copy with DL not acceptable). Thai license not acceptable. Up to you to check before you fly.

I flew BKK to Chiang Rai a couple of years ago with just my Thai driver's license. 

I forgot to pack my passport! 😮

All my recent FD flights recently had no document check. Did check-in at home and was told on boarding pass to go directly to security check, or immigration for international flights. I had no baggage and by that no need to visit the counter. If you do have any check-in bags they will require document, though. An official document with a photo should suffice.

11 hours ago, KarlS said:

You can use any form of official ID for domestic fights

Yes, that is until you can't.  Always carry a Thai ID or passport.  I wouldn't take the risk of pitching up without my passport and risk refusal. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Henryford said:

Can i use the old one as ID for my flight, or say my Thai Driving Licence,

On all my internal AirAsia flights I use my Thai driving licence, never been asked for my passport.

however there is nothing on your passport to show that it is not valid so you can use it.

12 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Just recently checked this with both Air Asia and Nok on their call centers. Both said a valid passport is needed for ID ( a copy with DL not acceptable). Thai license not acceptable. Up to you to check before you fly.

I have used my pink ID card for both of those Airlines. No problem. Sorry, never tried using my driver's license.