Air Asia travel with Driving Licence as ID (Domestic)

Henryford

I am applying for a new British passport early in April at Bangkok. I understand you can keep the old passport for ID purposes (but not international travel). I am thinking of taking a domestic Air Asia flight later in April within Thailand, which will be before i get my new passport. Can i use the old one as ID for my flight, or say my Thai Driving Licence, or can i not travel until i get the new one?

I have used my Thai drivers license several times, no problems.

But my gf who is from Myanmar has a Thai drivers license and was refused because the number on it is linked to her official ID which is restricted to Chiang Mai and wasn't allowed to fly unless she had "some" letter to say she was allowed.

11 hours ago, KarlS said:

You can use any form of official ID for domestic fights

Yes, that is until you can't.  Always carry a Thai ID or passport.  I wouldn't take the risk of pitching up without my passport and risk refusal. 

13 hours ago, Henryford said:

Can i use the old one as ID for my flight, or say my Thai Driving Licence,

On all my internal AirAsia flights I use my Thai driving licence, never been asked for my passport.

however there is nothing on your passport to show that it is not valid so you can use it.

12 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Just recently checked this with both Air Asia and Nok on their call centers. Both said a valid passport is needed for ID ( a copy with DL not acceptable). Thai license not acceptable. Up to you to check before you fly.

I have used my pink ID card for both of those Airlines. No problem. Sorry, never tried using my driver's license. 

14 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Just recently checked this with both Air Asia and Nok on their call centers. Both said a valid passport is needed for ID ( a copy with DL not acceptable). Thai license not acceptable. Up to you to check before you fly. 

Thanks GF. Despite what some people have said i don't want to risk it. I don't want to book a flight/hotel then find i can not travel. I will wait till my new passport arrives.

22 hours ago, blackcab said:

Your old passport will be ok. Your old passport is not defaced in any way until the appointment where you collect your new passport.

really?  When I renewed my US passport (while in the usa) when they mailed back my new passport and the old one, the old one had punched holes in it which indicated it was no longer valid and not to be used any more, even though it had not yet expired.

24 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Thanks GF. Despite what some people have said i don't want to risk it. I don't want to book a flight/hotel then find i can not travel. I will wait till my new passport arrives.

Why ask for advise then?

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

really?  When I renewed my US passport (while in the usa) when they mailed back my new passport and the old one, the old one had punched holes in it which indicated it was no longer valid and not to be used any more, even though it had not yet expired.

Really. British citizens in Thailand retain their original passport during the time their application for a new passport is submitted and considered.

The old passport is not physically defaced in any way until the appointment when you collect your new passport. At this point your old passport has the corner cut off the cover while you watch.

3 minutes ago, Henryford said:

The advice i got from GF confirmed that i couldn't fly. Which is why i asked.

Well others including myself said you can. I have only ever used a Thai drivers license for local flights. When my gf wanted to fly we went to Air Asia office and asked. She could not but because of her ID restriction.

Best to goto airport or Air Asia office and show them license and ask can I fly.

5 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Confusing isn't it. Maybe the counter staff do not care while the call centers say their policy is otherwise.

Yes it is like so much is in Thailand. But it's the counter staff (check in and boarding gate) who has the final say if you can fly or not.

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:59 PM, UglyBug said:

I came back to my home in Ban Khok Phetchabun on 9th December 2018 by air from UK ! At Passport Control there was no mention of the 24 hour reporting at your Local Immigration office ?

A friend phoned me to tell me as I arrived on Sunday 9th Dec 18 I had time to do it on Monday 10th

Why where people not informed of this Law ? Why does going through Passport Control at Suvarnabhumi and presenting your entry card and Yellow Book with your address not count as reporting ? TIT. ????

Not quite correct. The pink foreigner ID card, whilst it can be used in hotels anywhere in Thailand, Air Asia and most airlines will not accept it for domestic travel with a destination outside the province in which it was issued. I've had Air Asia, Lion Air & Nok Air all refuse to accept it for that very reason.

Archived