Why does the smoke fluctuate?

Lacessit

Looking out from my condo 9.40 am in Chiang Mai, the smoke is as bad as I have seen it, and I can also smell it. Visibility is down to 500 metres.

I've observed during this season the smoke is worst in the morning. Visibility improves in the late afternoon. What is the explanation of this?

The  "Ockham's Razor" hypothesis for most significant factor (using aggregated data from the entire "burning  season") would be: winds change. Of course, the change in sheer volume/scope of burning comes into play.

~o:37;

If it was only sporadic burning and inversion, I can;t see how the conditions could so radically change. It is looking more like there is some set schedule for agricultural burning that is clearly breaking the "no burning rule" . I don't believe nobody knows what is going on.

This should be a National Emergency,the untold damage to

peoples health,the effect on tourism,people's livelihoods,

and it's not a natural disaster that cannot be foretold,it

HAPPENS EVERY YEAR,and has done for years,with this

year been the worse..........and next year ?

regards Worgeordie

yeah i went south for a few days but had to come back, few days ago.  Was not that bad last couple of days but woke up to 389 in my area.  I been through a few seasons but this one seems extra bad.  In any case decided this is my last year up north, I know some people might say it is not that bad or I am a wimp for leaving but whatever I am not feeling well up here during these times, time to get out of dodge

40 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

Are you in CM?

It is never going to change as evidenced by the fact it has gotten worse with years of complaints.

I do not understand why people would stay there during this time.

If you know that in fact it is/will cause major health issues and possibly take years of your life why stay?

Families?  It affects children also big time their lungs are not even fully developed horrible for them.

I think school is out soon I would get out of town for as long as possible.

Older single people have no excuse unless I guess you have no money  CM airport goes just about any place I would leave for a few months and actually live life in a healthier environment....

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Are you in CM?

It is never going to change as evidenced by the fact it has gotten worse with years of complaints.

If you know that in fact it is/will cause major health issues and possibly take years of your life why stay?

Families?  It affects children also big time their lungs are not even fully developed horrible for them.

Older single people have no excuse unless I guess you have no money  CM airport goes just about any place I would leave for a few months and actually live life in a healthier environment....

I have lived in Chiang Mai for 31 years,not easy to live elsewhere at this time

have animals to look after,and family with jobs,"take years off your life",at 73

wonder how many i have left.

Every year I hear the Government say things are going to improve,the fact, they

get worse,words mean nothing, before the burning season next year,get the

police and army  up in the hills patrolling,hopefully they can catch some arsonists,  

and make an example of them, say 5 years in jail,these people are doing grave harm

to people's health,affecting the tourism industry and livelihoods.

They seem more serious about smoking a cigarette on the beach,and vaping,

can get you deported, set the forest a blaze........

regards worgeordie

Burning at night, smoke descends to valley floor.  Sun warms the air up & hot air rises, taking smoke higher, so cleaner air on valley floor.  Wind normally builds up in afternoon, clearing some smoke.  What I don't understand, is, if the smoke is from neighbouring countries, then surely that wind would replace the smoke blown away.

2 hours ago, krey said:

In any case decided this is my last year up north, I know some people might say it is not that bad or I am a wimp for leaving but whatever I am not feeling well up here during these times, time to get out of dodge

Noone in their right mind would criticize you for leaving. It's the intelligent thing to do.

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

...CM airport goes just about any place I would leave for a few months and actually live life in a healthier environment....

Life circumstances and commitments are why people stay. No one wants to breathe that filth.

Easier said than done.

Which months are you talking? Feb-Apr?

Because I just read an analysis that CM air is actually only passable by international standards 3 or maybe 4 months of the entire year.

I feel sorry for those who can't get out. There is a lot of them. 

Myself, I gave up, scrapped my ED Visa and lease plans and ran. But not without emotional pain...

What a shame.

10 minutes ago, Happystance said:

Because I just read an analysis that CM air is actually only passable by international standards 3 or maybe 4 months of the entire year.

True.  Only time the air is good is during the rainy season.  Also, when we get a proper soaking by a big storm during the dry season.  Rest of the time, AQI is yellow or orange.  By late January, more often in Red zone.  Now we're in purple & brown ???? 

Our maid came in today and reported that there was a large wildfire near her home  out in Saluang that was choking everybody living out there. That could well be the cause of the sudden rise in the AQI here in Mae Rim...444 at present. Even our three air purifiers can’t keep up with the load, and the best indoor PM 2.5 reading we have hovers around 100.

But I have a question if anybody can answer it.  Does an air conditioner recirculate indoor air only, or does any exterior air get pulled into the dwelling?

22 hours ago, DonDoRondo said:

Beyond me how this is not officially declared a national emergency.

Just a question: What would a national emergency involve? 

How would declaring one do anything?

21 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Are you in CM?

Time to get out of Dodge! This will continue for an expected two more months or more. Forecasts are for the hottest and dry Summer on record!!

Screenshot_25620323_102029.png

8 minutes ago, MrBrad said:

Just a question: What would a national emergency involve? 

How would declaring one do anything?

For starters, let’s assume that all national resources and the best minds would be combined into a problem-resolving team to overcome the issue at hand. This would also ostensibly provide the PM and other government officials, e.g., governors, with authority to mobilize military, police, public health, industrial and transportation capabilities and assets. Actually not a bad idea at all if the Thais want to save their homeland from the ravages of preventable, man-made pollution.

temperature, pressure, wind etc. It will hang on a colder morning and dissapear later in the day being the hotter part of the day.

The hotter the burning the less pollution. Burning at night is much worse.

We have 149pm2.5 in kanchanaburi today. Big sugarcane fields and vegetable fields are currently burning. Like i said on another thread i battled wild fires on public land for just over 4hours completely alone 2 days ago lit by local officials that like to sell bamboo and this is done during a ban. The fire truck came out twice and wouldnt go in the jungle. Yeh, let the farang do all the hard work because greedy yocals want bamboo. (also illegal to take for selling)... This could be a world news story. I tell you i almost jumped out of the tractor and ran at one point but was trapped too much so just plowed through the trees and fire in the hopes i would make it out. pretty scary stuff. Local orbator, officials etc... idiots! They dont care about Thais, Thailand or the enviroment globally. Wastes of space and oxygen and destroying the planet for everyone yet dont ever dare complain about the negligence or these pricks will try burn down your house thats now happened 2times to us. Im not a pussy though and will take care of anything they try for the good of mankind!! (couple trophies pls?)..

2 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

temperature, pressure, wind etc. It will hang on a colder morning and dissapear later in the day being the hotter part of the day.

We have 149pm2.5 in kanchanaburi today. Big sugarcane fields and vegetable fields are currently burning. Like i said on another thread i battled wild fires on public land for just over 4hours completely alone 2 days ago lit by local officials that like to sell bamboo and this is done during a ban. The fire truck came out twice and wouldnt go in the jungle. Yeh, let the farang do all the hard work because greedy yocals want bamboo. (also illegal to take for selling)... This could be a world news story. I tell you i almost jumped out of the tractor and ran at one point but was trapped too much so just plowed through the trees and fire in the hopes i would make it out. pretty scary stuff. Local orbator, officials etc... idiots! They dont care about Thais, Thailand or the enviroment globally. Wastes of space and oxygen and destroying the planet for everyone yet dont ever dare complain about the negligence or these pricks will try burn down your house thats now happened 2times to us. Im not a pussy though and will take care of anything they try for the good of mankind!! (couple trophies pls?)..

Next time get pics and make it a world news story !

40 minutes ago, Chicken George said:

Time to get out of Dodge! This will continue for an expected two more months or more. Forecasts are for the hottest and dry Summer on record!!

Screenshot_25620323_102029.png

Thanks for that , a touch of sarcasm but not your fault , I live halfway between the Chiang Rai 240 and the border 317.  Today at 10 am the worst it has ever been.

30 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

Trophy from me. Spot on unamazed , a couple of us go on our bikes every Weds. over the nearby mountains/hills.3 days ago one side of the mountain road had been torched only the road and an easterly breeze stopped the burning from going further. I think my TW has at last realised it is NOT smoke from Lao/Myanmar or every other country , it is the locals that just love to burn , it must be in their blood !

23 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

and the temerity to request 800K

Archived