Why does the smoke fluctuate?

Lacessit

1 hour ago, Fore Man said:

Our maid came in today and reported that there was a large wildfire near her home  out in Saluang that was choking everybody living out there. That could well be the cause of the sudden rise in the AQI here in Mae Rim...444 at present. Even our three air purifiers can’t keep up with the load, and the best indoor PM 2.5 reading we have hovers around 100.

But I have a question if anybody can answer it.  Does an air conditioner recirculate indoor air only, or does any exterior air get pulled into the dwelling?

Recirculates. there are filter pads that can be installed on most air conditions.  I have seen them but I do not know where to get them or how effective they are in cleaning the inside air. 

Capture.JPG

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

"They burn at night, "less" chance of being caught?"

Would fire at night not be more visible than in the day time?

... well, yes, no doubt it is for you, me & everyone else - except the authorities in charge apparently ... 

I flew into CNX a few weeks ago at night, and as we descended on our long final, I could spot dozens of small fires burning below.  So yes, farmers burn at night because they can avoid detection and any punitive actions. They fully understand that the authorities will not be out looking for them after COB.

On 3/22/2019 at 12:58 PM, bkk6060 said:

Are you in CM?

It is never going to change as evidenced by the fact it has gotten worse with years of complaints.

I do not understand why people would stay there during this time.

If you know that in fact it is/will cause major health issues and possibly take years of your life why stay?

Families?  It affects children also big time their lungs are not even fully developed horrible for them.

I think school is out soon I would get out of town for as long as possible.

Older single people have no excuse unless I guess you have no money  CM airport goes just about any place I would leave for a few months and actually live life in a healthier environment....

Confirming this is the worse I have experienced in the 7 years, 9 months I have been retired in Chiang Mai. Usually, this has not been a problem for me but, Chiang Mai just registered 470 AQI on my AirVisual App. Had I known it would be this bad, taking a vacation to the South would have been in order. As I stated, past years have not been as prolonged nor as high pollution effect on me.

On 3/22/2019 at 12:45 PM, krey said:

yeah i went south for a few days but had to come back, few days ago.  Was not that bad last couple of days but woke up to 389 in my area.  I been through a few seasons but this one seems extra bad.  In any case decided this is my last year up north, I know some people might say it is not that bad or I am a wimp for leaving but whatever I am not feeling well up here during these times, time to get out of dodge

Wimp? Leaving the first year it happens? Maybe a wimp. Leaving when you realize it will not get better within your (shortened) lifetime? Intelligent.

I believe the WHO level is 25....some individual countries have more stringent levels or at least in thailand’s case more lenient....

the PEL that thailand set for their regulation is just an arbitrary number. It wouldnt surprise me they will raise to 75 90 or even a 100....why not?

the 50 is not bet on any scientific data...they just think a 25 standard sounds much worse when we see anywhere from 90 in bkk to 500 in the north....

great example of taking a standard and making it worthless....

I flew into CNX a few weeks ago at night, and as we descended on our long final, I could spot dozens of small fires burning below.  So yes, farmers burn at night because they can avoid detection and any punitive actions. They fully understand that the authorities will not be out looking for them after COB.

Just a wild idea but why not punish any landowners with evidence of burning, rather than presumably trying to catch them in the act?

Oh yeah, because they ain’t doing shit about it either way!

On 3/22/2019 at 6:45 AM, krey said:

yeah i went south for a few days but had to come back, few days ago.  Was not that bad last couple of days but woke up to 389 in my area.  I been through a few seasons but this one seems extra bad.  In any case decided this is my last year up north, I know some people might say it is not that bad or I am a wimp for leaving but whatever I am not feeling well up here during these times, time to get out of dodge

i think the farmers of thaoland did this burning since generstion...and the thais accepted it...whats the fuzz now about...? just gecause invthese days is illegal...? king ramas 5 wife owned the northern poppy fields opium was a trading good the british government made billions with it...these days perfectly legal...now burning is illegal...so why a thai should be botgered...who cares other than a few weak skinned farangs

5 hours ago, fouryesrs said:

i think the farmers of thaoland did this burning since generstion...and the thais accepted it...whats the fuzz now about...? just gecause invthese days is illegal...? king ramas 5 wife owned the northern poppy fields opium was a trading good the british government made billions with it...these days perfectly legal...now burning is illegal...so why a thai should be botgered...who cares other than a few weak skinned farangs

Hi, i am not a farang/thai local, just someone interested about such things.

Can i ask if the local thais totally accept the burning and are all ok with the smoke?

Are there thai local forum/social media postings and petitions condemning the current smoke levels?

Just giving an example based on Indonesia.  They also have a burning/smoke issue which they still do every year despite it being illegal. and it's very much like N Thailand as in some years it's absolutely terrible and in some years it's somewhat tolerable and so people don't bother much.  But during the terrible periods, people protest, make hecks of noise, in fact dozens of kids/sick/elderly die from it and new tougher rules and legislations are made.

Are the local thais really that receptive of such prolonged and high levels of pollution nowadays? 

6 hours ago, fouryesrs said:

Poppy fields did not need to be burned and ROI was much higher on the crop therefore needing a lot less land than crops nowadays. Although not talked about because of the legality, the demise of the poppy crop could be seen as one of the major reasons for the increase in burning.

Traditionally the local type maize/corn was grown one time and before it was harvested opium was planted in between. The maize would provide protection from late rainy season downpours and shade for the small plants. After the maize was harvested (it couldn't have been burned as the poppies were in between) the poppy plants matured and were harvested in around January. There would be no second crop of maize and no burning.

Now we have illegality of opium and hybrid strains of maize/corn for a second crop. Added to this is the financial strain and labour intensity of mono/cash cropping. Probably responsible for some of what you see in the sky today (or rather don't see).

1 hour ago, vivid said:

Hi, i am not a farang/thai local, just someone interested about such things.

Can i ask if the local thais totally accept the burning and are all ok with the smoke?

Are there thai local forum/social media postings and petitions condemning the current smoke levels?

Just giving an example based on Indonesia.  They also have a burning/smoke issue which they still do every year despite it being illegal. and it's very much like N Thailand as in some years it's absolutely terrible and in some years it's somewhat tolerable and so people don't bother much.  But during the terrible periods, people protest, make hecks of noise, in fact dozens of kids/sick/elderly die from it and new tougher rules and legislations are made.

Are the local thais really that receptive of such prolonged and high levels of pollution nowadays? 

Thais are absolutely not accepting of these pollution levels. Some of my neighbours work at CMU, some are teachers, doctors etc. To say they are displeased is the understatement of the year.

Go to a local news site such as CM108 and read the comments or get them translated. They are both very displeased at the pollution and the lack of govt initiative to solve it.

On 3/24/2019 at 9:49 AM, vivid said:

Thanks for the input, Cmsally! 

... here's an excellent video on the topic, the 2016 version below has partly different footage:

SMOKE: A Crisis in Northern Thailand, The Health Effects and a Solution [NOV 2016 Version]:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o99ANfQd1WQ

Archived