BANGKOK 19 April 2019 00:07
Rimmer

2 lost cyclists rescued from Takhiantia forest

2 lost cyclists rescued from Takhiantia forest

image.png

CHONBURI:--Two Bangkok mountain bikers had to be rescued after getting lost in a Takhiantia forest.

Exhausted but unhurt, Satjapong Pattanasukasan and Pongsak Sittitham, both 39, were found by a search party of about 20 rescuers and residents after four hours deep in the Song Pi Nong forest March 14.

Satjapong said he had biked in the jungle famous for mountain biking about 10 years ago and came with a friend to do it again. They parked at Tumpratun and cycled into the forest in the morning.

But the two wandered off the set path and found themselves lost and unable to get back to the road. With it getting late, they called a friend to ask for help

Satjapong said he got lost because he didn’t realize the forest hand grown and changed in 10 years.

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-22-03--

• Haha 1

<deleted> think its funny, I would have walked them further into the forest and left them there

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

No gps on their mobile phones then?

GPS does not work very well under trees if at all sometimes, been there and done that a few times on bike trails in Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand.

• Haha 1

Just now, Rimmer said:

GPS does not work very well under trees if at all sometimes, been there and done that a few times on bike trails in Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand.

I'm often out in the jungle (hiking and cycling), 5 years back phone gps was iffy, now it's perfect all the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't understand anyone getting lost in "jungle". 

You just walk a maybe a few miles in any direction and you will soon run out of "jungle' and see a road or highway.

Nearly all jungle has now been cut down and what you see is secondary jungle. See picture in article above.

i.e. The original dense foliage was cut down long, long ago. Especially in S.E. Asia.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm often out in the jungle (hiking and cycling), 5 years back phone gps was iffy, now it's perfect all the time.

That seems to be my experience with the one on my mobile. Don't think I have ever had much of an issue outside, only when inside buildings. Maybe weather can affect it. 

How do you hand grow a forest? 'the forest hand grown'

Just now, mikebell said:

How do you hand grow a forest? 'the forest hand grown'

With hand jobs?

• Haha 1

Where they started from, they by-passed a map of the whole area...

Maybe next time they pay a little bit more attention.

(Have seen these 2 guys several times around Pattaya bicycling)

MAPKMK 2019_2nd.pdf