Do Thai immigration keep a copy of Bank statements?

I am in Thailand permanently on a non-immigrant "O" visa based on retirement plus extensions for the past 6 years. Up until now I have used the British Embassy income letter route but this year will be using Bangkok Bank statements, showing international transfers of income, and bank letter. Do Immigration keep this paperwork, and if so what safeguards do we have that they will be stored securely and not with something that contains my signature? Do we have any rights under the latest Thai Data Protection Act? I have recently had the experience when copies of 2 ID cards where printed on the back of paperwork given out by Immigration!

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

23 minutes ago, graemeaylward said:

Data Protection

Can you spell please :biggrin:

ZERO awareness.

Have you ever seen a document shredder at immigration? Me not.

Have you ever seen piles of paper files lying around in some corner/spill over cabinets? Me yes.

Have you ever had another persons application form on the backside? Me yes.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, graemeaylward said:

Bangkok Bank statements, showing international transfers of income, and bank letter.

Why do you need to present bank statements? Isn't the whole point that Immigration want A letter certifying regular monthly payments, either from your embassy or from your bank. Maybe they'll want to see your bank book, maybe not. That's it

20 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Why do you need to present bank statements? Isn't the whole point that Immigration want A letter certifying regular monthly payments, either from your embassy or from your bank. Maybe they'll want to see your bank book, maybe not. That's it

The plain fact of this is that no one, to my knowledge has done an income based extension without using an embassy letter. Remember that those letter were valid for 6 months and are still being used.

Until someone actually gets out there and does so, we're all a bit in the dark. I'm due in August and as the embassy letters will have expired by then I could be one of the 'first footers'.

Krungsri assure me that they know what is required, but I do have a plan 'B' just in case.

7 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

The plain fact of this is that no one, to my knowledge has done an income based extension without using an embassy letter. Remember that those letter were valid for 6 months and are still being used.

Until someone actually gets out there and does so, we're all a bit in the dark. I'm due in August and as the embassy letters will have expired by then I could be one of the 'first footers'.

Krungsri assure me that they know what is required, but I do have a plan 'B' just in case.

The plain fact is it was impossible to do a retirement extension using monthly income without an Embassy letter or affidavit. An extension based on marriage could be done using Thai income from working evidenced by income tax payment receipts.

• Confused 1

Well those who have done retirement extensions based on money in the bank  have always had to submit copies of their bank statements/ book and in my case immigration kept them. They have 8-9 years worth now, and next year they want 12 months worth rather than 3! 

Stored securely, I doubt it, there must be a dozen containers worth of the stuff every few years. They are giving applicants copies of the latest rules for Extension and, ever environment conscious, they recycle paper they have received. So, on the back of the rules there is usually a copy of some strangers signed passport copy. I have yet to hear of it ever being some guys bankbook!

Edited by jacko45k

20 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

That was my experience last November in Bangkok. I brought my bank statements. They sent me downstairs to get the letter from the bank. They didn’t keep or even look at the bank statements.

21 hours ago, KarlS said:

The plain fact is it was impossible to do a retirement extension using monthly income without an Embassy letter or affidavit. An extension based on marriage could be done using Thai income from working evidenced by income tax payment receipts.

Not anymore.

For those that cannot get proof of income from their embassy there is now an option to show monthly transfers into a Thai bank account from abroad for 12 months to prove their income.

39 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not anymore.

For those that cannot get proof of income from their embassy there is now an option to show monthly transfers into a Thai bank account from abroad for 12 months to prove their income.

The operative word in my comment was "WAS"!