Flight to the UK.

NoshowJones

I was on this forum last Sept, I had booked a flight with a Bangkok Travel agency who cancelled my flight and put me on one the following day. I had used this agent for years and they gave me an excellent service, but they then caused me to miss a day of my holiday. 

They admitted they were at fault and gave me 5000 Bt compensation, I now want to fly to the UK again this Sept.

Having never booked online before, I need some advice. I am very wary of using any travel agents now, and am thinking about booking online this time.

Looking at Skyscanner and Kayak, they seem to be the most popular. Are they safe to deal with? I do not have a credit card, but have both a Thai Visa and a UK Mastercard. Which one should I choose? Or would I be better doing it by bank transfer?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Why not book direct with the airline?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I tried that, I tried to get to BAs office in Bangkok and none of the motorbike taxis knew where it was.

I then went to KLMs office and they did not have a personal service, they gave me a phone which had a bad line so I just gave up, and as for the only other one that goes to Glasgow, Emirates, I would not touch them after all the hassle changing at Dubai, like being body searched even though you are not leaving the airport.

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I tried that, I tried to get to BAs office in Bangkok and none of the motorbike taxis knew where it was.

I then went to KLMs office and they did not have a personal service, they gave me a phone which had a bad line so I just gave up, and as for the only other one that goes to Glasgow, Emirates, I would not touch them after all the hassle changing at Dubai, like being body searched even though you are not leaving the airport.

lol he's means on the airlines own website

However just go on travel trolley site put the flight in and will pull prices up in Sterling even if starting out of Bangkok. You could mess around with skyscanner and kayak but 90% of the time cheapest is TT anyway

2 minutes ago, Chivas said:

lol he's means on the airlines own website

However just go on travel trolley site put the flight in and will pull prices up in Sterling even if starting out of Bangkok. You could mess around with skyscanner and kayak but 90% of the time cheapest is TT anyway

I will try TT and see what happens thanks. But living in Thailand, I would want the prices in Thai.

6 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I will try TT and see what happens thanks. But living in Thailand, I would want the prices in Thai.

yes I think you get the option but you'll find you be shafted on the exchange rate

7 hours ago, Chivas said:

yes I think you get the option but you'll find you be shafted on the exchange rate

Do you mean if I use my UK debit card or my Thai one? It's just that I go by the Thai currency as I think Thai Baht all the time and up to now I always paid the money in cash to the same Bangkok travel agency every year.

I do not have a credit card, only debit cards.

7 hours ago, Benroon said:

I used skyscanner (nearly always the cheapest) for literally hundreds of flights, all fine until one flight went wrong and you are then dealing with a third party that makes a tiny markup on your flight that doesn't really want to know and its all hassle from there.

To be fair to skyscanner, maybe because I had booked so much with them, they did intervene on my behalf but it was a ball ache.

I always book direct with the airline now - 90% of the time it is more expensive than the third party online bods but if there's a problem its only one number and person you have to deal with to sort it out and the difference in price isn't usually huge.

Skyscanner are a sneaky lot, and I want nothing to do with them. Why advertise prices from ie 25.000 Bt when there is not such a fare? 

Let me explain, I was very happy at the price, especially as it included the taxes etc, then I got to the so called final price preparing to pay, and what I saw was the price +3000 Bt. The money itself is not such a big deal, but I hate these sneaky tricks.

I would rather go back to Bangkok and use a travel agency than deal with companies like Skyscanner.

Always go online and book direct with the airlines.

Skyscanner, webjet and all those will either mess it up or add extra $$.

I remember some years back I used skyscanner and it was BKK-Darwin-BNE .....

never again  !  the second leg Darwin-BNE was priced higher than advertised, but I had to accept it as I already paid for the first leg.

dirty scum.

Just use the airline's website.  There are often deals available.  The prices are shown in Thai baht if you want them to be.  You can then compare what the airline offers, with Skyscanner etc.  In my opinion booking direct with the airline is easier, more secure and not necessarily more expensive.

The likes of Skyscanner and Kayak (there are many others, including Google Flights) are comparison engines: they will show many different routes and prices for the same destination. They will also usually show many different vendors for each trip and this will often include the airline itself. So use the comparison sites to find the best deal, and the most convenient flight times, then click on the link to be taken to the vendor's site.

Some vendors can be much cheaper than the airline themselves, but it depends greatly on the routing and timing.

You do need to be a little wary of some of the vendors as they are not all as reliable the others. If in doubt - and if the price difference is not great - just click through to the airline's own site and buy directly from them. Read the online reviews of the various vendors before choosing one, or stick to well-known names.

Either way, the comparison engine will give you a choice of airlines for the dates you are interested in.

Some airlines have promos that are only available on their own site and are not reflected in the prices shown on comparison websites.

Prices for tickets originating in Thailand when bought direct from the airline will normally be in THB. When bought from vendors it may be in THB or another currency, depending on where the vendor is located.

If you use your UK card you will probably pay a foreign exchange weighting of anything up to 3%, but some UK cards charge much less. Read the small print relating to your card.

A Thai card will not apply any exchange weighting to a THB purchase but it may offer less security if you buy from a vendor that subsequently ceases trading before your ticket is issued.

When buying a ticket online, be VERY careful that you get the name correct as it cannot normally be changed without a high fee. An online purchase from any good vendor should result in you quickly receiving an e-ticket by email, with the full travel details, and it should also include a 6 character booking reference (PNR). Regardless of who sold you the ticket, use this reference number on the "manage my booking" section on the airline's own website to ensure that your ticket shows as OK or confirmed.

My personal preference is for Kayak. I have booked many flights by clicking through from their site (from various vendors and also directly from the airlines) and have never had any problems with the final price increasing. I do always compare the flight I want on other comparison engines also, and I usually check the airline site directly in another browser, just in case they have some sort of special promo on.

I like that Kayak usually show the aircraft type and give more information about seat facilities.

OP, work out what you want first, full service airline or budget, direct flight or connections, a reasonable included luggage allowance, daytime departure/arrival etc etc. Then compare apples with apples. 

Use the comparison sites to find the availability/costing for flights etc. Then most of the time you can book and pay on the airlines website, for around the same price. 

The old adage, if it seems to good to be true, it is. Cheap usually means a hidden booking fee, credit card fee or a 18 hour layover in Uzbekistan airport with only your carry on luggage.

With some of the booking sites its a double whammy to cancel or change a booking, the booking site fees and the airline fees, some sites there is no refund, sometimes a bit extra on the airline site gives the option to cancel change etc for a small fee.

52 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, work out what you want first, full service airline or budget, direct flight or connections, a reasonable included luggage allowance, daytime departure/arrival etc etc. Then compare apples with apples. 

Use the comparison sites to find the availability/costing for flights etc. Then most of the time you can book and pay on the airlines website, for around the same price. 

The old adage, if it seems to good to be true, it is. Cheap usually means a hidden booking fee, credit card fee or a 18 hour layover in Uzbekistan airport with only your carry on luggage.

With some of the booking sites its a double whammy to cancel or change a booking, the booking site fees and the airline fees, some sites there is no refund, sometimes a bit extra on the airline site gives the option to cancel change etc for a small fee.

Excellent information here. Thanks.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

The likes of Skyscanner and Kayak (there are many others, including Google Flights) are comparison engines: they will show many different routes and prices for the same destination. They will also usually show many different vendors for each trip and this will often include the airline itself. So use the comparison sites to find the best deal, and the most convenient flight times, then click on the link to be taken to the vendor's site.

Some vendors can be much cheaper than the airline themselves, but it depends greatly on the routing and timing.

You do need to be a little wary of some of the vendors as they are not all as reliable the others. If in doubt - and if the price difference is not great - just click through to the airline's own site and buy directly from them. Read the online reviews of the various vendors before choosing one, or stick to well-known names.

Either way, the comparison engine will give you a choice of airlines for the dates you are interested in.

Some airlines have promos that are only available on their own site and are not reflected in the prices shown on comparison websites.

Prices for tickets originating in Thailand when bought direct from the airline will normally be in THB. When bought from vendors it may be in THB or another currency, depending on where the vendor is located.

If you use your UK card you will probably pay a foreign exchange weighting of anything up to 3%, but some UK cards charge much less. Read the small print relating to your card.

A Thai card will not apply any exchange weighting to a THB purchase but it may offer less security if you buy from a vendor that subsequently ceases trading before your ticket is issued.

When buying a ticket online, be VERY careful that you get the name correct as it cannot normally be changed without a high fee. An online purchase from any good vendor should result in you quickly receiving an e-ticket by email, with the full travel details, and it should also include a 6 character booking reference (PNR). Regardless of who sold you the ticket, use this reference number on the "manage my booking" section on the airline's own website to ensure that your ticket shows as OK or confirmed.

Great info. Thanks.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

Always go online and book direct with the airlines.

Skyscanner, webjet and all those will either mess it up or add extra $$.

I remember some years back I used skyscanner and it was BKK-Darwin-BNE .....

never again  !  the second leg Darwin-BNE was priced higher than advertised, but I had to accept it as I already paid for the first leg.

dirty scum.

Skyscanner don't book flights. They are a comparison web site and they redirect you to the agent or airline. They don't add anything, the agents or the airline does that. 

6 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Skyscanner are a sneaky lot,

I would rather go back to Bangkok and use a travel agency than deal with companies like Skyscanner.

Dear oh dear I do worry for some. Skyscanner are simply a price comparison site. They redirect you to the agent that you click on for example travel trolley. You have absolutely no further dealings with skyscanner once the redirection occurs. I do recall helping you before when you had your flight problem but you didnt listen then and I doubt you will now

Forget Travel Supermarket Skyscanner Opodo or Kayak for your own sanity. Go on your airline of choices website and book direct with them. You dont need "to travel to bangkok" to book a flight.

Tell me your dates of Travel outbound/inbound and myself or Jamjar will find the flights for you

5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Skyscanner don't book flights. They are a comparison web site and they redirect you to the agent or airline. They don't add anything, the agents or the airline does that. 

I have found out that what you say is true, but it is not nice getting a price, then checking that it includes all taxes then you find 3000 Bt added on.

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have found out that what you say is true, but it is not nice getting a price, then checking that it includes all taxes then you find 3000 Bt added on.

I know, it's incredibly irritating.

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

Dear oh dear I do worry for some. Skyscanner are simply a price comparison site. They redirect you to the agent that you click on for example travel trolley. You have absolutely no further dealings with skyscanner once the redirection occurs. I do recall helping you before when you had your flight problem but you didnt listen then and I doubt you will now

Forget Travel Supermarket Skyscanner Opodo or Kayak for your own sanity. Go on your airline of choices website and book direct with them. You dont need "to travel to bangkok" to book a flight.

Tell me your dates of Travel outbound/inbound and myself or Jamjar will find the flights for you

Thanks a lot, but I have just booked at KLMs website, but I don't have my intinary yet, if I have any problems I will take you up on your offer.

3 hours ago, Benroon said:

That's not down to Skyscanner - when you choose a flight it directs you to a third party website and THEY increase it (its rare though), infact quite the opposite Skyscanner want to be told when this happens as they don't like it either and take it up with the third party - they've done it for me in the past

Yes, your right, I have found this out, never used online to book flights before.

Some of these sites can be confusing Poss.
Another one used by posters on here is Matrix.isasoftware which you can use to search for flights available with prices, but this is only a comparison site and you have to visit the airlines website to book the flights and usually find a different price !!

You should make a short list of the companies you want to fly ( klm, British, Lufthansa etc )with and visit each one checking for availability and price etc , bearing in mind that these prices will change over time.

Someone posted on here that booking flights 7 weeks in advance was the cheapest way to do it , I’m not sure but the general consensus was he was talking out of his hat [emoji51]

Apparently when searching on line for airfares it pays to regularly delete any cookies on your PC. Seems 'they' can track where you have been and jack the quoted prices up. I booked a couple of airfares today with NOK. The price was 7000 baht or so, but i couldn't get the verification code (from bank in Oz) on my phone. So I cancelled it. Tried a couple of hours later after restarting the PC and sorting out my phone, the price for the exact same flights, date and time was closer to 5000 baht. Go figure.

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Thanks a lot, but I have just booked at KLMs website, but I don't have my intinary yet, if I have any problems I will take you up on your offer.

How can you have booked on KLMs website but not have your intinary ??  Simply impossible you must have viewed what you're booking surely before paying. No good taking anyone up on their offer now that you've already booked.

KLM actually come up cheapest on TT round trip starting and ending in Setember at £612

Random dates

ran.png

7 minutes ago, Chivas said:

How can you have booked on KLMs website but not have your intinary ??  Simply impossible you must have viewed what you're booking surely before paying. No good taking anyone up on their offer now that you've already booked.

KLM actually come up cheapest on TT round trip starting and ending in Setember at £612

Random dates

ran.png

I do not get my intinary until they get my money, and they will get my money on Monday when it comes from my bank in the UK from Transferwise. By the way I am flying to Glasgow after I arrive in Amsterdam.

I am not flying to Heathrow.

Archived