When Does The Visa Actually End ???

My Type O Marriage visa end date is August 20th of this year 2019. I plan to renew my Type O visa in  Savannakhet Laos about thirty days prior to the end date. I was told that it is possible to actually get fifteen months out of the visa by crossing a border before the end date. For example i leave Thailand on August 19 and the visa would be extended to about November 17th. Is this information correct ? Also do i need to renew the Type O visa at least 30 days before the end date?

If you enter before August 20th, you will receive 90 days permission to stay. 

You can get a new visa after that. 

You are confusing validity of visa and permission to stay. 

Permission to stay is what counts. 

You don't have to renew your visa 30 days before. 

3 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

So a person can get fifteen months out of a one year visa . Is that correct ?

If you have a multiple entry Non O visa (as sounds from your description) then yes.

If the visa sticker in your passport shows "VALID UNTIL 20 AUG 2019", then you could do a border run in Aug 19 and get an ADMITTED UNTIL stamp for Nov 16.

Always works for multiple entry (No. of entries: M) visa.

With a Non O-A from home country you could get a stay of almost two years by this.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

If you have a multiple entry Non O visa (as sounds from your description) then yes.

If the visa sticker in your passport shows "VALID UNTIL 20 AUG 2019", then you could do a border run in Aug 19 and get an ADMITTED UNTIL stamp for Nov 16.

My Type O Marriage Visa last day is August 20, 2019. That would be great if i can push the end date 90 more days if possible and get fifteen months out of it.

8 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

My Type O Marriage Visa last day is August 20, 2019.

If your visa looks like this:

omvisa.jpg

and the date in the lower left (not shown in picture) shows 20 Aug 2019, then you are fine to do a border run on Aug 19.

Just to make sure: M does NOT stand for marriage.

Edited by KhunBENQ

9 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

My Type O Marriage Visa last day is August 20, 2019. That would be great if i can push the end date 90 more days if possible and get fifteen months out of it.

The end date of the VISA REMAINS THE SAME IE AUG 2O, 2019. If used before it expires a 90day stay will be granted. Don't confuse the Visas date of expiry with a permission to stay. 

Edited by KarlS
correct typo

12 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

You can get almost 15 months of total stay or 17 months if you apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife near the end of the last 90 day entry from your visa.

Is there a thread link to the Savanakhet ME Non O visa? I have been searching since yesterday with no luck. I will take all of the documentation I need, but what else do I need to know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

5 hours ago, teetersb said:

Is there a thread link to the Savanakhet ME Non O visa? I have been searching since yesterday with no luck. I will take all of the documentation I need, but what else do I need to know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It's a long thread, but the requirements have not changed since the initial posts.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Just to be clear, your Visa will have a 'Date of Issue' and an 'Enter before' date.

Your entry stamp will have 'permission to stay until ……….'

Can you confirm these dates.

A Non Imm O ME Visa is valid 1 year, but you can remain up to almost 17 months, with only 3 border runs, if you use it to it's full potential.

18 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

So a person can get fifteen months out of a one year visa . Is that correct ?

A person can get 15 months from a Non-Imm O multiple (validity one year), as each entry gives 90 days permission of stay and an Entry close to the expiry date will give 90 days onto the 12 months validity. 

A Non-Imm OA has a validity of 12 months and each entry within that year gives a years permission of stay, offering a total of 2 years possible. 

You cannot extend a Visa, you can extend the permission of stay, but only for a year based on retirement or marriage. There are some shorter (60 day) extensions available to those with a Thai spouse or dependent.