'We are one' says PM Ardern as New Zealand mourns with prayers, silence

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is a "Muslim leader's" dress?  Over half the ones here are wearing Western suits, so have already changed their dress for us.

image.png.6fa2938142af0a582ce73a2f67d2a410.png

Sorry but is that a photo of Erdogan, the Leader of Turkey which has a Constitutional Principle of official secularism?

A bit ironic they actually have a headscarf Ban for 30+ years and NZ PM is now wearing one.

But yet we have how many pages now in this thread and others with the keyboard warriors going on about her sticking a simple scarf over her head?

Wearing a scarf in the context of Western Society can be described as simple; however, the wearing of the scarf in this context of Muslim society? Hmmm, the Muslim community seems to have a quite complex history on this topic and many Muslim women don’t appear to like what it symbolizes.

4 hours ago, ShortTimed said:

Uh...OK. You do realize Melania Trump was raised in the Catholic faith?

She is a Catholic.

And Ivanka is? Jewish. 

Not that there stated religion really matters. 

A simple act of respect by all concerned both in this picture and in NZ. Doing exactly the same thing. 

So its okay when these guys do it (of course), but it really doesn’t fit your Muslim bashing narrative  does it? 

And Ivanka is? Jewish. 

Not that there stated religion really matters. 

A simple act of respect by all concerned both in this picture and in NZ. Doing exactly the same thing. 

So its okay when these guys do it (of course), but it really doesn’t fit your Muslim bashing narrative  does it?

Muslim bashing?

Can you please provide my quote?

I believe my posts have been a bit skeptical of the NZ PM.

And #43....Lol

It might just be I have a problem with politicians....

Sorry I can’t be pigeon holed to lend support for your narrative that “People who disagree with you must be muslim-hating people”.

Ahhhh, lots of ‘whatabout’ isms. The classic tactic of the knuckle draggers at the moment. 

Why do liberals always need to make their bogeyman into hate-filled knuckle-draggers and other names when they feel threatened?

I am simply beginning to see my original high opinion of NZ PM was possibly a bit too hasty. True leadership is only visible at times of crisis and this is her first.

Since you have trouble focusing on the topic rather than your fellow participants, its probably best if we quit seeing each other. I am breaking up with you.

5 hours ago, ShortTimed said:

Credit to@evadgib

Some might find this a thought-provoking response to this thread topic:

Hardly thought provoking. She is entitled to her views. 

I am confused as to whos culture she is talking about when she speaks about "our culture". NZ is very multi cultural. She certainly isn't speaking for the Maori, Pacific Islanders, Asian and Muslims (from many countries). 

Muslims only make up 1% of the population in NZ yet she feels that her culture is being threatened. I suspect that she feels equally threatened by the Maori, Pacific Islanders, Asians and everyone who is different. 

44 minutes ago, ShortTimed said:

Muslim bashing?

Can you please provide my quote?

I believe my posts have been a bit skeptical of the NZ PM.

And #43....Lol

It might just be I have a problem with politicians....

Sorry I can’t be pigeon holed to lend support for your narrative that “People who disagree with you must be muslim-hating people”.

Sharing Katie Hopkins videos, that well known islamaphobe? 

Keep telling yourself that this is just about your dislike for politicians...

Hardly thought provoking. She is entitled to her views.   

I am confused as to whos culture she is talking about when she speaks about "our culture". NZ is very multi cultural. She certainly isn't speaking for the Maori, Pacific Islanders, Asian and Muslims (from many countries). 

Muslims only make up 1% of the population in NZ yet she feels that her culture is being threatened. I suspect that she feels equally threatened by the Maori, Pacific Islanders, Asians and everyone who is different. 

She offered a view that I had not seen voiced on this forum or in the news so yes, it provoked thought as any new perspective does for me.

So you have a problem with her saying “our culture” since you point out the multiple cultural identities present in NZ.

But I read the headline that PM Arden also spoke on behalf of a single Kiwi Culture “WE ARE ONE”.

This KTHopkins apparently has a different opinion as do many of those who commented.

1 hour ago, ShortTimed said:

Why do liberals always need to make their bogeyman into hate-filled knuckle-draggers and other names when they feel threatened?

Because they are the type of low developed personalities with a lot of internal anger who need a license to hate to justify it. It is a psychopathology. The fact that their arguments don't stand up is also a reason - hence their refusal to debate - usually saying that it would be beneath them - a symptom of their psychopathology is a delusional state of mind where they think they occupy the intellectual and moral high ground. HTH.

5 minutes ago, ShortTimed said:

She offered a view that I had not seen voiced on this forum or in the news so yes, it provoked thought as any new perspective does for me.

So you have a problem with her saying “our culture” since you point out the multiple cultural identities present in NZ.

But I read the headline that PM Arden also spoke on behalf of a single Kiwi Culture “WE ARE ONE”.

This KTHopkins apparently has a different opinion as do many of those who commented.

Adern was including Muslims as being part of the NZ culture whereas this women was excluding them and saying they were not part of her culture. 

So they had opposite views. 

19 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Because they are the type of low developed personalities with a lot of internal anger who need a license to hate to justify it. It is a psychopathology. The fact that their arguments don't stand up is also a reason - hence their refusal to debate - usually saying that it would be beneath them - a symptom of their psychopathology is a delusional state of mind where they think they occupy the intellectual and moral high ground. HTH.

Prey tell, what arguments are not standing up? 

We’ve got pages now of diatribe just because the PM of NZ decided to be empathetic to muslims? And I’m the hater?

Yep, keep trying with your phsycobabble. 

Adern was including Muslims as being part of the NZ culture whereas this women was excluding them and saying they were not part of her culture.   

So they had opposite views. 

Yes I think they did have opposite views.

I must have misunderstood your post singling out the many groups that exist in NZ since it also seemed exclusionary to me and the opposite of PM Arden WE ARE ONE.

To be honest, this mass shooting is a Kiwi tragedy and not anything to do with me except that I grieve when innocent life is lost.

I give this KTHopkins opinion as much credence as I give yours or Ardens since you are all Kiwis speaking about your perspective of your culture. Canada is a big place and we have many cultures even within just the anglo community. Ardens announcement of WE ARE ONE supported my original naive view that NZ was so small that everyone thought similar to each other.

As this event keeps getting more airtime and more personal stories and more personal views are being expressed I see that NZ is maybe not just ONE.

I am not going to discredit your view and I am not going to discredit KTH. I reckon you each have a right to your opinion on your Country.

But the world has a right to form an opinion of world leaders and this is easily supported when you see the opinions expressed of Trump by non-Americans.

This is PM Ardens first crisis and its telling to see how she has handled it. I no longer have as high an opinion of her as I used to. I don’t take it personal when someone criticized Trudeau and I hope you will afford me the same courtesy.

10 minutes ago, samran said:

We’ve got pages now of diatribe just because the PM of NZ decided to be empathetic to muslims? And I’m the hater?

Still waiting on that definition of Islamophobia - funny how you chose not to answer that.

17 hours ago, samran said:

Are you Muslim spokesperson then, telling us what ‘they’ all think? 

Funny we have a lot of those on TV. 

Go read what many female Muslims think about it rather than look foolish? start at the UN.

51 minutes ago, samran said:

Do you know how many Muslim women are in jail for refusing to wear head gear?  some were executed?  modern Muslim women find it repressive. How about dividing male and females in the NZ Mosques? many Muslims do NOT support Christian/Atheist 'whites' dressing to appear like 'them'.  What next?  a trans bar attacked and we wear stilettos?  or a coloured bar attacked and we wear blackened faces?  this is absurd.

1 minute ago, BobBKK said:

Do you know how many Muslim women are in jail for refusing to wear head gear?  some were executed?  modern Muslim women find it repressive. How about dividing male and females in the NZ Mosques? many Muslims do NOT support Christian/Atheist 'whites' dressing to appear like 'them'.  What next?  a trans bar attacked and we wear stilettos?  or a coloured bar attacked and we wear blackened faces?  this is absurd.

My favourite incident is that a senior Muslim cleric in Australia was initially barred by NZ from attending the funerals because he was a known homophobe. Many, many Muslims are.  The homophobic Islamophobic Australian government intervened on his behalf and the NZers admitted him https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/australian-muslim-leader-sheikh-shady-refused-entry-to-new-zealand-following-mosque-massacre-20190319-p515g9.html

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

Still waiting on that definition of Islamophobia - funny how you chose not to answer that.

Im not your walking dictionary.

Nevertheless, I’m sure the concept has never entered your mind....

23 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

My favourite incident is that a senior Muslim cleric in Australia was initially barred by NZ from attending the funerals because he was a known homophobe. Many, many Muslims are.  The homophobic Islamophobic Australian government intervened on his behalf and the NZers admitted him  https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/australian-muslim-leader-sheikh-shady-refused-entry-to-new-zealand-following-mosque-massacre-20190319-p515g9.html

So are many many Catholics and evangelicals. So what is your point? That homophobia is wrong? Welcome to the human race... 

No mention of the shooter being outed today as an admirer of the leader of Australia’s white supremist movement. 

34 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

One is taking the piss, the other is showing empathy. That you are comparing blackface with what the PM did just shows how bizzare your thinking on the issue is. 

As for Muslim’s not liking others dressing up as ‘them’ they seemed to appreciate it in Dubai last night. But as the Muslim spokes person, you clearly know better than the rest of us. 

FF5F15DD-9CE1-473F-9E9C-DDA73B198AA8.jpeg

6 minutes ago, samran said:

Im not your walking dictionary.

Nevertheless, I’m sure the concept has never entered your mind....

It is you who is using the term so surely you can define it for the benefit of others - seems you are using the standard avoidance tactics instead. BTW the boilerplate response "an irrational fear of Islam" is not accepted as a definition by rational people.

As for me looking it up in the dictionary I wonder if it is/should be there bearing in mind it is a political construct.

5 minutes ago, mokwit said:

It is you who is using the term so surely you can define it for the benefit of others - seems you are using the standard avoidance tactics instead. BTW the boilerplate response "an irrational fear of Islam" is not accepted as a definition by rational people.

As for me looking it up in the dictionary I wonder if it is/should be there bearing in mind it is a political construct.

Sure whatever. And the 5 pages of comment here, plus the deleted bile, was purely comment on her fashion choices. 

3 minutes ago, samran said:

Sure whatever. And the 5 pages of comment here, plus the deleted bile, was purely comment on her fashion choices. 

Still not an answer - 3 times you have deflected from defining a political term you use. 'Sure whatever' and whataboutery hardly constitutes an answer/definition.

35 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Still not an answer - 3 times you have deflected from defining a political term you use. 'Sure whatever' and whataboutery hardly constitutes an answer/definition.

I’ll leave you to make your judgements. Not really looking for validation from you. 

Archived