Is 8 years a fair run for a washing machine?

giddyup

Our LG 11kg washing machine has stopped working after 8 years of use. LG technician quoted around 5000 baht to fix it, this is without actually coming out to look, only going by the symptoms the missus described to him. The machine cost around 10,000 baht new so I don't know if it's worth spending 50% of the new price to fix the old one.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should at least get one of these so called technicians to look at it and tell you what he thinks is wrong. You will find that they prefer to take it away with them to do their checking/scamming before revealing the estimated cost/profit they want to fix it, that way they think a loaded quote is more likely to be accepted.

There are lots of videos on youtube about possible repairs and things that go wrong with washing machines and you might find with a few basic tools you can repair it yourself.

I would not spend 5,000B to repair a 10,000B machine that was more than a few years old.

As for how long they should last: it depends on how much use they get. My old machine was at least 12 years old - and looked it - but was still working properly when I replaced it. I replaced it because it lacked a couple of features I wanted, and it was a bit small. The replacement is 7 years old and looks and works like new as it only gets used once a week. I expect it to last longer than I will.

13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

8 years is a fairly poor outcome. I'd expect about 15 years. Perhaps it's time to change brands.

I've had multiple washing machine technicians from multiple brands tell me 8-10 years, tops.  It's the way whitegoods are built these days - built-in obsolescence

No electrical goods seem to last long these, especially TVs. But it's certainly not worth spending money repairing an 8 year old device. It only cost you 100 baht a month, write it off. I've just replaced a 7 year old air con unit. It should last longer but just not worth spending 4-5,000 baht repairing it.

My LG 11kg lasted just under 8yrs ..so it looks like an average life expectancy ....I bought  a similar model ( NOT LG)  from Lazada .. and saved about 25%   if I'd have bought the same model from a shop outlet ..  (36hrs and free delivery PC to my door)

21 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

I've had multiple washing machine technicians from multiple brands tell me 8-10 years, tops.  It's the way whitegoods are built these days - built-in obsolescence

The guy who fixed said that the problem was common with LG machines of the age mine was, but it was a simple fix to restore it to perfect working order again. A new one of a similar size would have cost between 8-10,000 baht, so getting the old one fixed for 900 baht was a bargain. I could afford to buy a new one but why not get a few more years out of the old one if possible rather than add to all the garbage that the world is creating.

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

A local repair shop took it away, cleaned all the internals, replaced necessary parts, now working perfectly again. total cost 900 baht.

Good luck with your repair.

We did similarly with a washing machine at a rental house and it ran great for about two weeks.

Next time I won't throw good money after something whose shelf life  has likely expired.

Same with a homeworks (?) oven.   After two years  I took it to a local shop and had it repaired for about 400 THB.      The repair lasted one cooking.  Wish I had my 400 ฿ back

Good luck

4 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Good luck with your repair.

We did similarly with a washing machine at a rental house and it ran great for about two weeks.

Next time I won't throw good money after something whose shelf life  has likely expired.

Same with a homeworks (?) oven.   After two years  I took it to a local shop and had it repaired for about 400 THB.      The repair lasted one cooking.  Wish I had my 400 ฿ back

Good luck

I had my convection/microwave repaired by Samsung after 5 years at a cost of 1000 baht, it's still going strong 4 years later. The washing machine comes with a 3 month warranty so we'll see how it goes. Ridiculous to replace something when only a minor part is needed to make it function perfectly again.

Don't do what I did in my muppet moment bought a big top loader 16kg a Turkish made Beko  last year to replace a ageing one for the simple reason it had hot and cold fill expecting the beast to have an internal heater and getting whites white again except there is no heater and who has hot water outlet here regards still Mr Gray????

38 minutes ago, giddyup said:

A local repair shop took it away,

Who did you use ?

My LG washing machine  developed a drive motor/gearbox fault  in 2015  I went to Amorn and found they had

an exactly "look alike part"  ( took the old one to compare) but no mention of what machine it was for   so I took a chance and bought it for 950 baht   fitted it at home myself and its still working to this day.

Before that in 2012 the main control board went wrong, a local "engineer" replaced it x2  for 1000 baht

2 minutes ago, johng said:

Who did you use ?

My LG washing machine  developed a drive motor/gearbox fault  in 2015  I went to Amorn and found they had

an exactly "look alike part"  ( took the old one to compare) but no mention of what machine it was for   so I took a chance and bought it for 950 baht   fitted it at home myself and its still working to this day.

Before that in 2012 the main control board went wrong, a local "engineer" replaced it x2  for 1000 baht

I used a local "Mr Fix-it" that does all kinds of electrical repairs. He fxied the motor in our rangehood after a rat had chewed through a wire for 100 baht. The company (Franke) said it couldn't be repaired and wanted 8000 baht to replace the motor.

3 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

big top loader

I think we had this " discussion"  somewhere in these forums before   top loaders do not have a heating element.

Front loaders (mostly) do have a heating element.

You can get a separate electric  water heater that is specifically designed  for things like washing machines, bathes and washing up dishes etc...they are not the same as the  ubiquitous shower heaters which should not be used for that purpose.

1 minute ago, johng said:

I think we had this " discussion"  somewhere in these forums before   top loaders do not have a heating element.

You can get a separate electric  water heater that is specifically designed  for things like washing machines, bathes and washing up dishes etc...they are not the same as the  ubiquitous shower heaters which should not be used for that purpose.

Back in the 60's when living in Darwin I used an old wringer style washing machine with a heating element to have hot showers. Just connected a shower rose to the outlet pipe.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Back in the 60's when living in Darwin I used an old wringer style washing machine with a heating element to have hot showers. Just connected a shower rose to the outlet pipe.

Did you use the spin dry function on yourself?

11 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I used a local "Mr Fix-it" that does all kinds of electrical repairs

Ok I'll post  the location of the place I've used in the past in case anyone else needs it.

they also repair fridges  of a silly someone who punctured the refrigerant line while trying to de-ice it with a screwdriver  Doooh   :w00t:  :hit-the-fan:

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@12.964949,100.8975885,3a,48.4y,123.15h,80.98t/data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1sW3wyoL95ynFdHnP7py001w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i27

Depends on many things. How often you use it, do you over load it, whats the hardness of the water, do you put just 'smalls' or also wash heavier items?

I'd expect 5 years for a heavy use and up to 10 for a once a week wash. Lots of steps in the process, saponification, emulsification, surfactants and is a mix of heat, mechanical action and time. If you use your machine 3 times a week for 8 years that is 9000 cycles. If you pay 10,000 THB that's not far off 1 THB a time + power and detergent etc.

2 minutes ago, johng said:

Ok I'll post  the location of the place I've used in the past in case anyone else needs it.

they also repair fridges  of a silly someone who punctured the refrigerant line while trying to de-ice it with a screwdriver  Doooh   :w00t:  :hit-the-fan:

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@12.964949,100.8975885,3a,48.4y,123.15h,80.98t/data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1sW3wyoL95ynFdHnP7py001w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i27

Rented a house once where the previous tenant had used a bar heater to defrost the fridge. The inside resembled melted icecream.

16 minutes ago, johng said:

Missed it????

11 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Did you use the spin dry function on yourself?

You didn't read my comment, I said it had a wringer, this was well before washing machines had a spin dry function. And no, I didn't put myself through the wringer.

26 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I used a local "Mr Fix-it" that does all kinds of electrical repairs. He fxied the motor in our rangehood after a rat had chewed through a wire for 100 baht. The company (Franke) said it couldn't be repaired and wanted 8000 baht to replace the motor.

Local Mr. Fixitis used to keep all sorts of stuff running cheap instead of throwing it way

Archived