Is 8 years a fair run for a washing machine?

giddyup

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Local Mr. Fixitis used to keep all sorts of stuff running cheap instead of throwing it way

It seems to me most of the repair guys who work for the manufacturers don't seem that interested in fixing anything. They charge around 500 baht for a call-out then advise you to buy another machine, whether it's a washing machine, airconditioner whatever. It's only these local guys that want to fix things and charge peanuts to do it.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, giddyup said:

repair guys who work for the manufacturers don't seem that interested in fixing anything.

That's mostly been my experience too...they say parts are not available and/or quote silly money for the part,

it pays to keep an eye out for the various local fix-it shops as they will at least try and often can fix the "unfixable"

it really depends what is wrong with a machine failing, it could be something very simple or the most expensive part (the motor) failing, over the years I have had washing machines that last a very long time, I usually repair any issues myself and parts are generally cheap and can be bought on ebay or similar.

Replacing the machine because the filter is blocked - faulty door latch or water level pressure switch, these items are very cheap to replace and are common failures  

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

You didn't read my comment, I said it had a wringer, this was well before washing machines had a spin dry function. And no, I didn't put myself through the wringer.

Reminds me of a saying an aussie guy I used to work with would say " That's funnier than when nana got her left tit stuck in the mangle."

Back on topic, what is the actual issue with your LG? Is it the new gen with 10 year drive warranty? Before I spent money on it, I would look at all the seals, the little pump prop that is kept in the bottom front right of the machine and the like.

Also, as someone else mentioned, how hard is your water? A friend asked me to look at her unit and there was scale crusted over so many things and was causing issues with turning peices in the machine.

23 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Reminds me of a saying an aussie guy I used to work with would say " That's funnier than when nana got her left tit stuck in the mangle."

Back on topic, what is the actual issue with your LG? Is it the new gen with 10 year drive warranty? Before I spent money on it, I would look at all the seals, the little pump prop that is kept in the bottom front right of the machine and the like.

Also, as someone else mentioned, how hard is your water? A friend asked me to look at her unit and there was scale crusted over so many things and was causing issues with turning peices in the machine.

It was only the drive shaft where it goes into the agitator that was worn and not engaging, but he also opened the machine up and cleaned a lot of the internals under the drive shaft. All I know is it's operating perfectly now. It was bought over 8 years ago, it's a Turbo Drum 11kg model, so I doubt if it has the 10 year warranty.

Panasonic top loader 10 years old,  still works great.

think it was about 5,000 when new.

If you got a pick up. take it to one of the back street shops.

ask how much to fix, could be just a few baht to do.

if its totaled, give it to the shop and go buy new one.

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

It was only the drive shaft where it goes into the agitator that was worn and not engaging, but he also opened the machine up and cleaned a lot of the internals under the drive shaft. All I know is it's operating perfectly now. It was bought over 8 years ago, it's a Turbo Drum 11kg model, so I doubt if it has the 10 year warranty.

Great result! and you have done your part in avoiding more e-waste.

9 minutes ago, Liverpudlian said:

Overloading is the main culprit for wear / tear, and idiots pressing the stop button whilst in spin mode.

I've been curious about this. When they say the unit is an 8kg I assumed it was water + laundry items. How does one know the water level and therefore the weight of the water?

6 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

I've been curious about this. When they say the unit is an 8kg I assumed it was water + laundry items. How does one know the water level and therefore the weight of the water?

My understanding is its the weight of the dry laundry prior to loading.

Edit

On checking it seems I was correct, look here:

https://www.appliancesonline.com.au/academy/laundry/get-the-right-size-washer-washing-machine-capacity-expained/

7 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Panasonic top loader 10 years old,  still works great.

think it was about 5,000 when new.

If you got a pick up. take it to one of the back street shops.

ask how much to fix, could be just a few baht to do.

if its totaled, give it to the shop and go buy new one.

The guy collected it at 4pm yesterday, fixed it and brought it back at 9am this morning.

First LG did 8 years, replaced with a Samsung that did 7, bought a new LG just before Christmas. The days of your washing machine lasting for an eternity are long gone. Eight years seems to be the going rate for a modern appliance. As said, 'built in obsolescence', they've got to ensure they've got a steady stream of customers to buy the latest product - so building things that last a lifetime isn't in the manufacturers interest. 

29 minutes ago, johng said:

Weight of water is (approximately but close enough)  1 Kilogram per litre.

Yes, I am aware of the weight of water, but that wasn't my question. CharlieH answered my question. But thanks anyway.

Unless I'm well off that works out at around 24Baht (less even) a week for the convenience of having a home machine that can be used as and when you want

Even by my cheapskate standards that's pretty good value, no?.....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

Unless I'm well off that works out at around 24Baht (less even) a week for the convenience of having a home machine that can be used as and when you want

Even by my cheapskate standards that's pretty good value, no?.....

Who's complaining?

8 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Depends on many things. How often you use it, do you over load it, whats the hardness of the water, do you put just 'smalls' or also wash heavier items?

I'd expect 5 years for a heavy use and up to 10 for a once a week wash. Lots of steps in the process, saponification, emulsification, surfactants and is a mix of heat, mechanical action and time. If you use your machine 3 times a week for 8 years that is 9000 cycles. If you pay 10,000 THB that's not far off 1 THB a time + power and detergent etc.

Maybe it's my maths, but 3 times a weeks X 52 weeks = 156 x 8 = 1248. That's a long way from 9000. I make it around 8 baht a pop for a machine that costs 10,000 baht. Still cheap though.

20 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

Who's talking about complaining?
My post was merely putting the overall cost into perspective and that over 8 years, yes, IMO thats a good return on the machine outlay....

That was exactly what I calculated it at, 8 baht a pop.

On 3/22/2019 at 1:39 PM, giddyup said:

Our LG 11kg washing machine has stopped working after 8 years of use. LG technician quoted around 5000 baht to fix it, this is without actually coming out to look, only going by the symptoms the missus described to him. The machine cost around 10,000 baht new so I don't know if it's worth spending 50% of the new price to fix the old one.

8 years x 52 weeks = 416 weeks 

2.5 washes per week = 1040 washes in 8 years

Depreciation of machine per wash = 10,000 / 1040 = 9.62 THB per wash

Time for a new one.

Just now, seancbk said:

8 years x 52 weeks = 416 weeks 

2.5 washes per week = 1040 washes in 8 years

Depreciation of machine per wash = 10,000 / 1040 = 9.62 THB per wash

Time for a new one.

Already been fixed for 900 baht, otherwise it would have just added to the landfill.

12 minutes ago, Toscano said:

8 years seems rather a short time for a BT10,000 washing machine .  Our then BT5,000 Samsung washing machine is in its 15th year and still going strong , in use almost every day .

I had a toaster last 30 years.

I didn't realize for many years but inside the tub of the uprights there are 2 filters on the sides that need to be taken out and cleaned regularly.  guess I should have read the manual a little.

1 minute ago, rwill said:

I didn't realize for many years but inside the tub of the uprights there are 2 filters on the sides that need to be taken out and cleaned regularly.  guess I should have read the manual a little.

You can see whether they are dirty or not as soon as you open the lid.

Archived