BANGKOK 21 May 2019 02:11
giddyup

Is 8 years a fair run for a washing machine?

1 minute ago, rwill said:

I didn't realize for many years but inside the tub of the uprights there are 2 filters on the sides that need to be taken out and cleaned regularly.  guess I should have read the manual a little.

You can see whether they are dirty or not as soon as you open the lid.

I was actually going to buy a new washing machine, but the one I looked at wasnt very good looking, plus she was an older model and was sneezing a lot so I was worried about repair bills.

• Haha 2

The life span for washers is 5 years by factory. 

So every year more is a plus. 

As others said already : buy a new one 

Just now, sawadee1947 said:

And as I've said repeatedly, the old one has been fixed for 900 baht and running as good as new. Why throw something away when one small part wears out?

• Like 2

Many machines give 10 year for motor. So work out your age. You need fir another 10 y or not. 

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

And as I've said repeatedly, the old one has been fixed for 900 baht and running as good as new. Why throw something away when one small part wears out?

Depends how old it is! 

If you bought it 10 years or more ago it's already an ancient one... 😊 in good quality. It might last a longer time. 

My mom's TV is more than 30 years old 

On 3/22/2019 at 7:39 AM, giddyup said:

The machine cost around 10,000 baht new so I don't know if it's worth spending 50% of the new price to fix the old one.

No, not worth repairing it, 8-years life time is not that bad in Thailand, I count 10 years if you take care of a laundry machine.

I bought a new LG "Inverter Direct Drive" recently, really good machine, silent and steady, and use less power than the old Samsung, which however lasted 10-years, and needed a repair for some thousands of baht; gave the old machine away to some that would spend the repair cost for having a laundry machine.

🙂

I'd say 8 years is a good run even if used only a couple of times a week. Don't think I'd spend half the purchase price on repairing it at that age. How much longer would it then last ? Ours is coming up for 8 years now, and if it goes wrong ( unless it's minor) we'll change it.

I expect at least 20 years from appliances and really never had a problem. I think most new products are built on the cheap for the "dispose of and replace, consume and discard economy".  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

Life span is about as variable as a piece of string.

In 2009 I shipped my household effects from the UK, a 7 year old Indesit 7kg front loader being one of the items. Worked 4/5 days a week since it arrived but last year it started dancing, drum bearings on the way out.

We bought a new Electrolux 8kg front loader and a few weeks ago at just over a year old it stopped working, been waiting over a fortnight for a replacement control box.

1 hour ago, Jaxxper said:

I'd say 8 years is a good run even if used only a couple of times a week. Don't think I'd spend half the purchase price on repairing it at that age. How much longer would it then last ? Ours is coming up for 8 years now, and if it goes wrong ( unless it's minor) we'll change it.

I didn't spend "half the purchase price", I spent 1/10th of the purchase price tofix it.

It depends how much you used it, 8 years is a good run, just get your wife to wash by hand, that should put a smile on her face. 

I don't know what your machine's problem is but if the motor doesn't start it could be the capacitor. It is a small device connected to the motor. Look at the specs on the device ( for example 450V 50/60 Hz. 9mf). You can order this on Lazada or Amorn or otherwise drive around and if see a shop with old washing machines outside ask there. Good luck.

5 hours ago, seancbk said:

8 years x 52 weeks = 416 weeks 

2.5 washes per week = 1040 washes in 8 years

Depreciation of machine per wash = 10,000 / 1040 = 9.62 THB per wash

Time for a new one.

How do you do 2.5 washes? Take the clothes out half way through a cycle?

Why is it time for a new one?

The old one has been repaired for less than 10% of the original capital outlay. Makes good business sense.

• Like 1

I have the same model LG 11kg which is at 15 years old, LG service came to my house and replaced the water inlet module for B1,800. Now as good as new. I would buy another LG. 

• Like 1