Is 8 years a fair run for a washing machine?

giddyup

I was actually going to buy a new washing machine, but the one I looked at wasnt very good looking, plus she was an older model and was sneezing a lot so I was worried about repair bills.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, sawadee1947 said:

The life span for washers is 5 years by factory. 

So every year more is a plus. 

As others said already : buy a new one 

And as I've said repeatedly, the old one has been fixed for 900 baht and running as good as new. Why throw something away when one small part wears out?

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

And as I've said repeatedly, the old one has been fixed for 900 baht and running as good as new. Why throw something away when one small part wears out?

Depends how old it is! 

If you bought it 10 years or more ago it's already an ancient one... ???? in good quality. It might last a longer time. 

My mom's TV is more than 30 years old 

On 3/22/2019 at 7:39 AM, giddyup said:

The machine cost around 10,000 baht new so I don't know if it's worth spending 50% of the new price to fix the old one.

No, not worth repairing it, 8-years life time is not that bad in Thailand, I count 10 years if you take care of a laundry machine.

I bought a new LG "Inverter Direct Drive" recently, really good machine, silent and steady, and use less power than the old Samsung, which however lasted 10-years, and needed a repair for some thousands of baht; gave the old machine away to some that would spend the repair cost for having a laundry machine.

????

I'd say 8 years is a good run even if used only a couple of times a week. Don't think I'd spend half the purchase price on repairing it at that age. How much longer would it then last ? Ours is coming up for 8 years now, and if it goes wrong ( unless it's minor) we'll change it.

I expect at least 20 years from appliances and really never had a problem. I think most new products are built on the cheap for the "dispose of and replace, consume and discard economy".  

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

The life span for washers is 5 years by factory. 

So every year more is a plus. 

As others said already : buy a new one 

Life span is about as variable as a piece of string.

In 2009 I shipped my household effects from the UK, a 7 year old Indesit 7kg front loader being one of the items. Worked 4/5 days a week since it arrived but last year it started dancing, drum bearings on the way out.

We bought a new Electrolux 8kg front loader and a few weeks ago at just over a year old it stopped working, been waiting over a fortnight for a replacement control box.

1 hour ago, Jaxxper said:

I'd say 8 years is a good run even if used only a couple of times a week. Don't think I'd spend half the purchase price on repairing it at that age. How much longer would it then last ? Ours is coming up for 8 years now, and if it goes wrong ( unless it's minor) we'll change it.

I didn't spend "half the purchase price", I spent 1/10th of the purchase price tofix it.

I don't know what your machine's problem is but if the motor doesn't start it could be the capacitor. It is a small device connected to the motor. Look at the specs on the device ( for example 450V 50/60 Hz. 9mf). You can order this on Lazada or Amorn or otherwise drive around and if see a shop with old washing machines outside ask there. Good luck.

5 hours ago, seancbk said:

8 years x 52 weeks = 416 weeks 

2.5 washes per week = 1040 washes in 8 years

Depreciation of machine per wash = 10,000 / 1040 = 9.62 THB per wash

Time for a new one.

How do you do 2.5 washes? Take the clothes out half way through a cycle?

Why is it time for a new one?

The old one has been repaired for less than 10% of the original capital outlay. Makes good business sense.

1 hour ago, rutteketuut said:

I don't know what your machine's problem is but if the motor doesn't start it could be the capacitor. It is a small device connected to the motor. Look at the specs on the device ( for example 450V 50/60 Hz. 9mf). You can order this on Lazada or Amorn or otherwise drive around and if see a shop with old washing machines outside ask there. Good luck.

Already explained the problem, worn spline of the drive shaft. Now fixed.

Washers should last at least 8 years, leaks are normally a split door seal - cost about 800baht and 30 mins to fit and if it stops dead is usually just the motor brushes, again few hundred baht and 30 mins to fit. Programmers main board can go so best to keep it simple - basic features and will last longer... No reason why will not last a lifetime of use unless is getting hammered being used in a laundry or Mrs is doing the whole Soi's washing free for em' lol

Just fitted a new door seal for £15 and brushes £8 in me mums Zanussi washer in UK, its about 25 years old and is as good as new (sister wanted to scrap it as it was leaking a bit (1 cm split in bottom of door seal) also lots of washers are made in same factories with different externals/logos. Most in Europe now come from Turkish factories (Beko etc) don't know in LOS though?

Change the machine. We ran our three machines two, three times a day (restaurant) and after seven, eight years its the pump, the heating rod, the belts or something. 

Get a new machine as the fixing of your present problem will lead you to a failure of another component in the machine in a few months down the line....... 

On 3/23/2019 at 11:53 AM, CharlieH said:

My understanding is its the weight of the dry laundry prior to loading.

Edit

On checking it seems I was correct, look here:

https://www.appliancesonline.com.au/academy/laundry/get-the-right-size-washer-washing-machine-capacity-expained/

Not correct according to manual that came with my Samsung front loader.  Chart in back of manual gives different weights depending on which wash program you select.  A few examples from chart:  Cotton long wash allows 7kg load, quick wash allows 3kg and hand wash only 2kg.  Each of the setting fill to different water level with hand being most and cotton the least with quick in the middle.  I assume this means capacity is combo of water and weight of dry cloths.

Checking a couple more machine manuals online it appears the rating on front of machine is based on cotton load using program for cotton long wash.

On 3/23/2019 at 1:52 AM, giddyup said:

A local repair shop took it away, cleaned all the internals, replaced necessary parts, now working perfectly again. total cost 900 baht.

That's what we did when our Samsung went wrong - the local repair guys were very cheap. However, in the UK my Bosch washer is still going strong after 19yrs. It survived one long term GF and one wife plus 4 kids. I'm thinking about shipping it to Thailand ????

On 3/23/2019 at 1:52 AM, giddyup said:

A local repair shop took it away, cleaned all the internals, replaced necessary parts, now working perfectly again. total cost 900 baht.

There you have it then.

It probably only needed a new belt.

Moral of the story Don’t give in to the first quote.

Many machines get thrown out just because they stop working for the simplist of reasons, most of which are lack of service.

No disrespect meant here it is just a fact of life.

Well.

six farking Pages of posts about washing machines.

Living the dream indeed.

I was expecting at least one derogatory post about a lady but neigh, not one.

Quite astonishing really, especially in the Pattaya forum.

Not to worry.

Bring back the Golden Glitterman 

Archived