BANGKOK 25 April 2019 13:01
Bundooman

Dying in Thailand and the safety of your financial and ‘other’ assets

After two accidents in the past four years, one quite serious, and considering my age is approaching 75, my thoughts turn to making preparations for what happens when I die and my UK family have suggested the same thing too. It has been on my mind for a while…..

I know what has to happen regarding notifying the police, Embassy, obtaining a local Death certificate, what my wife must do and how to contact the members of my UK family, and the never-ending details of personal matters that I must compile, sort and record to set ‘my affairs’ in order – and how to provide step by step instructions using simple prompt cards for the myriad of things she will need to do on my demise.

The whole process is daunting to me, let alone my partner, (we aren’t married) and she has never needed to do this kind of stuff before, although I don’t suppose many of our partners/wives have either.

So while I’m planning and thinking, certain worries repeatedly crop up in my head. They are:

·        Do the police have the authority to take possession/confiscate my Bankbooks and credit cards, whether they be for UK or Thai Banks?

·         Do they expect my passport to be handed over to them? My Birth Certificate?

·         If so, what happens then – and how are they processed? When does my ‘wife’ get them back? – How does she get them back?

·         What action is taken by the bank? How do these matters proceed? Does anyone know, please?

·         If a Thai will is made, how is it possible to be sure that the lawyer isn’t going to ‘pocket’ your assets? Or the police for that matter… Do they, (either police or Lawyers have the right to establish your wealth by ordering the bank to provide information?

Like many on this forum, everything here in Thailand will go to my long-term girlfriend and our daughter. The same goes for my assets in UK. I have a UK will and am now preparing to source a reliable lawyer here in Thailand for the Thai side of things. But I am extremely uneasy about the renowned dishonesty of the Legal brigade.

I have tried to find information on this forum, but although I know the subject has been aired before – I cannot find it, so if someone has a link, I would be grateful. I would also be grateful for any factual information that you can provide.

I look forward to hearing what you have to say and advise. Thank you.

I think if I were you I would marry the girlfriend.     

That to me would be the greatest factor to assure things go on the up and up. I would also look into the validity and possibly registering the Thai marriage in ones home country. A will to a girlfriend is good I guess but a wife’s rights might more easily get the due respect in any country.
  • Like 2

This might be the thread you're looking for:

A married couple can have a simple will registered and kept at the local Amphur for minimal cost without involving a lawyer. You could ask there if they'll do the same for you and your partner. 

Bundoorman, why don't you send me a personal message, I might have some information for you.

• Like 1

You are not getting interest on that $12....look into a preferred stock to generate a stable dividend...

best to keep home country (with a trust) and thailand assets completely separate...my child has the tiltes on our lands and house in LOS...

get your our house in order way b/f you die..

46 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

My approach has been to keep Thailand and the US assets quite separate. My investments are in the US and a US Will and beneficiary designation names my two Sons as heirs. My outlook for Thailand is what comes to Thailand, stays in Thailand. My Thai partner will be designated as sole beneficiary for whatever property and money in the banks I hold upon my death. She is provided for, to the extent I am able and there is no legal entanglements with US.

That's a good approach.  Though via a will you could specify that your sons get your assets in Thailand too, if your estate isn't enormous then it probably isn't worth the trouble.

23 hours ago, Spaniel said:

I think if I were you I would marry the girlfriend.     

That is certainly an option - I will have to look at that. We are both single, but have decided up to now to remain unmarried. Thank you. Obvious move, but it hasn't crossed my mind recently. I need to think about that.  

22 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

That to me would be the greatest factor to assure things go on the up and up. I would also look into the validity and possibly registering the Thai marriage in ones home country. A will to a girlfriend is good I guess but a wife’s rights might more easily get the due respect in any country.

Yes, I am now considering that - have thought about it in the past, but we have been happy as we are. Now, it takes on a more serious note and some discussion between us.

Do you know if it can it be registered in my own country, UK, without having to physically return? (That may appear to be a stupid question, but it would be interesting to know for sure). Thanks for your advice. 

22 hours ago, bouph12 said:

This might be the thread you're looking for:

A married couple can have a simple will registered and kept at the local Amphur for minimal cost without involving a lawyer. You could ask there if they'll do the same for you and your partner. 

Thank you for that - I'll have a very serious look at it. It may be exactly what I need. I was unable to find something like that by myself. Cheers!

18 hours ago, nong38 said:

Bundoorman, why don't you send me a personal message, I might have some information for you.

That sounds interesting - but how do I do that? Even though I have been here many years, I have no idea how to contact you personally. Sorry to appear thick, have seen that message a number of times but never really gave it much thought. 

Is it possible to do that via TV? Please educate me and I would be happy to contact you. Thanks.

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

My approach has been to keep Thailand and the US assets quite separate. My investments are in the US and a US Will and beneficiary designation names my two Sons as heirs. My outlook for Thailand is what comes to Thailand, stays in Thailand. My Thai partner will be designated as sole beneficiary for whatever property and money in the banks I hold upon my death. She is provided for, to the extent I am able and there is no legal entanglements with US.

My view too. I have a valid will for my UK assets. I believe that I have to make a will here in Thailand for my Thai assets, which means it somehow has to mirror, (both in English and Thai), my UK Will. 

My uneasiness surrounds how likely it is that a Lawyer, the police, the Bank or someone else, doesn't manage to purloin the lot instead of it all going to my girlfriend. We are both thinking the same way. Thank you.