"Ouch, that hurt" said he having been biten by a cockroach

Speedo1968

Last night was bitten by a cockroach.

It felt like a single top jaw ( ? ) coming in to contact with a very sensitive part of my body ( sleeping au naturel and without sheet ).

The bite hurt enough to wake me up; an involuntary swipe with a hand sent the cockroach onto the floor, dazed and soon dead.

Will I turn in to the creature as in the stories by Kafka and Patricia Highsmith ?  ( interesting stories if you haven't already read ).

Haven't suffered any reactions so far.

It looked like the American edition.

This is only the second one I have seen in my house in the past 5 years, I live outside a small country town.

Anyone else had such a bite and any side effects ?

4 hours ago, sleepy said:

Yes they do sort of bite more like a nibble

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

So the poor little bugger was only to pleasure you, then you slapped it and killed it. Did it ask you for some baht to finish the job ?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, grollies said:

Unfortunately cockroach (hence the name "cock") bites are fatal. You probably only have 3 days left to live.

The only known cure was for someone to suck out the poison from the affected area.

Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news.

Must go out and find some, bring them back home. Mrs P will be delighted. 

• Haha 1

These do front time to time once visiting my cousins in Hawaii, these are the big ones that fly a bit but once on their backs they pretty much die afterward if they can't turn themselves over. Had one on my forearm the bite is harmless unless they bite you on the balls then they tend to swell up like a water balloon and burst.

If in Thailand they live in the billions in the your septic tanks and drain pipes. You noticed for example your shower drain there is a metal cap underneath that keeps the light out so they don't see any light and head toward it. If you don't believe me remove the drain screen come back later and get your protein?  

Open your septic tank over and there they are.

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1

I try to catch them on the floor, trapping them under the bottom of my coffee cup.  The bottom is concave so there is room under there for the little bugger.   Then I fill the cup with boiling water.  It will usually be 6 months before i see another.

First trip on the 'S' boats, Nigerean crew. Went into the galley after the 8-12 watch and my feet crunched on a carpet of cockroaches. Turned the lights on and they all scarpered. It was my goal to eradicte them. Two months and cases of bug spray did the trick eventually, plus educating the cook on cleanliness.

Are your fingers starting to twitch?  Do you scurry around and hide under furniture?  Are people constantly trying to swat you with a flipflop? You may be transforming zombie style, into a cockroach.  The only cure is to catch the exact one that bit you and eat it.  Unfortunately, since they are so hard to ID and all look the same, you have to eat several before getting to the culprit.  If the symptoms abate, then you are one the road to recovery.   If not, then you had better report to the local chapter of BugsRUs and whatever you do, do not watch Starship Troopers.

Edited by grifbel
  • Haha 1

I was given some good advice when I was in Spain. No matter how much I sprayed I couldn't get rid of the blighters from my apartment but I was told they can survive a long time without food but need water daily. I found their nest in the back of my fridge where they were drinking from the evaporation tray.

On 3/25/2019 at 11:25 PM, Jaggg88 said:

I was given some good advice when I was in Spain. No matter how much I sprayed I couldn't get rid of the blighters from my apartment but I was told they can survive a long time without food but need water daily. I found their nest in the back of my fridge where they were drinking from the evaporation tray.

Thanks aggg88, yes have seen that too.

Ants at this time of year with this recent weather will home in on a drop of water anywhere.