weetabix ?

steve2112

No help, I'm afraid, as I am facing the same problem in Pattaya. I usually stock up with 4/5 packs of Weetabix in an attempt to bypass the usual shortages from poor restocking.

This time, though, my usual sources of the local Tops and Tesco Lotus has failed me thus far. Will need to head to other possibles this weekend. Have seen them in one of the Villa's a few months back but at an extortionate price (approx bt300, compared with a normal range of Bt157-173), but needs must.....

right, villa market put the price up to 306 here, used to be 167. i'm going to england in sept, planning to load up my suitcases for return trip with weetabix and indian stuff

Is there a big difference between weetabix 306 baht and weetbix 105 baht for 24? I'm English but weetbix tastes ok to me

1 hour ago, steve2112 said:

its listed on big C online shopping but i just contacted them and its out of stock. makro used to have it and its out there too. i wonder why the UK one is so hard to find and the crap aussie one is everywhere 

i wonder why the UK one is so hard to find and the crap aussie one is everywhere

taste?

2 hours ago, steve2112 said:

i wonder why the UK one is so hard to find and the crap aussie one is everywhere

A simple business decision no doubt. Wiser to stock the more popular and better tasting, superior quality Australian version which also just happens to be better value ????

2 minutes ago, faraday said:

Jaysus, next you'll be a' tellin' me about Wegimite!

I could but Vegemite v Marmite has no doubt been done to death on this and other forums. Very few Australians are going to prefer Marmite and vice versa. The one you like best mostly comes down to your DNA and what you were fed as a kid, can't change that.

Lotus do a generic Weetabix lookalike ( made in the uk ) that’s okay.
Never seen kosher Weetabix here.
But i tried the Weetbix ( in the short stubby box ) at 111 baht and although it was a different shape and abit harder once I covered them with cold Chockchai and a sliced banana I found them perfectly acceptable !!

But, I’ve just come back from the uk and found these there

IMG_9067.PNG

Now these are the real deal, wish I’d shoved some in my case but was already overloaded with Bovril, Chocolate, cheese, teabags etc etc

Weetbix was invented by an Australian in the 1920's. The same guy later started a new company in South Africa registered in England, and developed Weetabix in 1932. They put the "A" in the name to differentiate it from the Aussie version. Weetabix is the knockoff, albeit invented by the same Australian guy.

Some accuracy for those who want to start a race war over kiddies breakfast cereal.

41 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Weetbix was invented by an Australian in the 1920's. The same guy later started a new company in South Africa registered in England, and developed Weetabix in 1932. They put the "A" in the name to differentiate it from the Aussie version. Weetabix is the knockoff, albeit invented by the same Australian guy.

Some accuracy for those who want to start a race war over kiddies breakfast cereal.

It was invented in New Zealand, but as usual, a bloody sneaky Aussie comes along and pilfers the idea, just like they did with the pavlova. We called it Wheat Biscuits because we know how to spell. 

6 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

It was invented in New Zealand, but as usual, a bloody sneaky Aussie comes along and pilfers the idea, just like they did with the pavlova. We called it Wheat Biscuits because we know how to spell. 

One word out of two spelt correctly is probably good enough for a Kiwi.

nz brag.jpg

Weetbix, the Aussie one,  is huge in NZ they were even major sponsors for the All Blacks!

However it seems the advertising ditty "Aussie Kids are Weetbix Kids" probably originated as "Kiwi Kids are Weetbix Kids". 

7 hours ago, Old Croc said:

as usual with these things, Aussie's may have had the idea first (they have very few of them) , but it took a Brit to produce the final product, Now as for the relative merits of Vegemite and Marmite.......  that is for another day, and post. 

6 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Switched from Weetabix to Weetbix because it has less sugar added.

My local supermarket deleted a lot of imported lines a few months ago so cleared out all the Original Weet-Bix at only 50 baht. On my last box now. They still stock the Kids version which is okay, even lower in sugar and sodium than Original. Add some blueberries, banana or strawberries, dash of cinnamon and flaked almonds, ends up pretty tasty. 

Archived