BANGKOK 20 May 2019 15:41
steve2112

weetabix ?

Weetbix was invented by an Australian in the 1920's. The same guy later started a new company in South Africa registered in England, and developed Weetabix in 1932. They put the "A" in the name to differentiate it from the Aussie version. Weetabix is the knockoff, albeit invented by the same Australian guy.

Some accuracy for those who want to start a race war over kiddies breakfast cereal.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Weetbix was invented by an Australian in the 1920's. The same guy later started a new company in South Africa registered in England, and developed Weetabix in 1932. They put the "A" in the name to differentiate it from the Aussie version. Weetabix is the knockoff, albeit invented by the same Australian guy.

Some accuracy for those who want to start a race war over kiddies breakfast cereal.

It was invented in New Zealand, but as usual, a bloody sneaky Aussie comes along and pilfers the idea, just like they did with the pavlova. We called it Wheat Biscuits because we know how to spell. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Switched from Weetabix to Weetbix because it has less sugar added.
Nothing to do with the price?

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Nothing to do with the price?

An added bonus.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

It was invented in New Zealand, but as usual, a bloody sneaky Aussie comes along and pilfers the idea, just like they did with the pavlova. We called it Wheat Biscuits because we know how to spell. 

One word out of two spelt correctly is probably good enough for a Kiwi.

nz brag.jpg

Weetbix, the Aussie one,  is huge in NZ they were even major sponsors for the All Blacks!

However it seems the advertising ditty "Aussie Kids are Weetbix Kids" probably originated as "Kiwi Kids are Weetbix Kids". 

• Sad 1

all the big supermarkets stock it. 

7 hours ago, Old Croc said:

as usual with these things, Aussie's may have had the idea first (they have very few of them) , but it took a Brit to produce the final product, Now as for the relative merits of Vegemite and Marmite.......  that is for another day, and post. 

• Sad 1

Many off topic & bickering posts have been removed.

The OP wants to know where to buy Weetabix..

Thank you.

6 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

My local supermarket deleted a lot of imported lines a few months ago so cleared out all the Original Weet-Bix at only 50 baht. On my last box now. They still stock the Kids version which is okay, even lower in sugar and sodium than Original. Add some blueberries, banana or strawberries, dash of cinnamon and flaked almonds, ends up pretty tasty. 

I have a box - given the laws of supply & demand its the OP's for a mere THB 10,000 including delivery & a smile.

FFF - certainly has it, call or facebook them to check and I am sure I got my last box in Central 

Several off topic posts have been removed once again.

Several good suggestions have been made as to where to try purchasing Weetabix on Phuket Island.

Thread now closed.