British husband of "Lady of the Hills" confirmed as teaching English in Kanchanaburi

snoop1130

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Yeah, that is what I am coming up with too.  So the guys wife just disappears or is murdered or whatever, and he does nothing about it? 

Yes, it's not as if any Thai lady has ever left her family and disappeared before, no forwarding address.

And it's not as if anyone whose Thai wife did a runner, ever came back to Thailand to pick out a new one.

14 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Yes we all knew this.

Just what does TV hope to achieve by pestering his place of work?

Surprised that in light of the University not allowing contact the media would be camped outside his home !

3 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Yeah, that is what I am coming up with too.  So the guys wife just disappears or is murdered or whatever, and he does nothing about it? 

He claimed that his wife left him for another man, what would you expect him to do about that?

5 hours ago, balo said:

I would think that Mr Armitage as a British expat for more than 10 years in Thailand is a member here on Thaivisa ? 

It would be interesting to hear his side of the story, but so far he has kept his mouth shut. 

If I was completely innocent I would have had no problems with being interviewed by Thaivisa or any local media.

Mr Armitage has already given his side of the story and that has been widely reported, what do you expect from him, a different story just for Thaivisa members so they can launch their Koh Tao-like investigation?

"If I was completely innocent I would have had no problems with being interviewed by Thaivisa or any local media".

As someone who is not being treated as having acted suspiciously by Thaivisa members that's easy for you to say!  I'd imagine that in the same position as Mr Armitage your lawyer wouldn't agree with your decision either.

5 hours ago, balo said:

I would think that Mr Armitage as a British expat for more than 10 years in Thailand is a member here on Thaivisa ? 

It would be interesting to hear his side of the story, but so far he has kept his mouth shut. 

If I was completely innocent I would have had no problems with being interviewed by Thaivisa or any local media.

I've always found it best to avoid talking to police or media.

They're looking to pin something on you (regardless of any innocence or guilt or your part).

Neither are your friend.

As my brief used to say, "You weren't there, you don't know, you can't remember"

In my days as a media person, when the police wanted to question someone without caution, they'd suggest a 'news conference', and give the 'friendly reporters' the questions they wanted answered. Some were designed to make someone  (usually the dad) look bad to the public/court after the arrest.

I agree with many here. Leave the chap alone. I have no doubt that the English police will investigate and approach him/request an interview if they think it is necessary. Naturally the dead lady's parents will have concerns. I would hope the English police realise this and liaise with the Thai authorities in the event they establish anything.

I'm sure he will be further investigated by UK authorities. His story smells. His wife allegedly leaves him for another man, and never ever seeks contact with any of the kids? I guess he started getting questions back in the UK by family members and friends on the missing wife situation, hence he left and it all went silent........till now. 

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Likewise, if you killed your Wife , you wouldnt report her as being missing , 

You may very well do ,and murderers have, in the absence of any credible alternative story to deflect suspicion . The point is it is a reasonable defence as to why you didn’t report her missing., She said she was leaving me for another and to return to her own country and I’ve not heard from her since. 

11 hours ago, Basil B said:

Just leave the guy alone, leave it to the authorities to interview him, I would have thought the University may have suspended him until all enquirers are complete, just as a precaution.

They'd have to pay him- wouldn't do that under any circumstances.

1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

They'd have to pay him- wouldn't do that under any circumstances.

Do you not think the interests of the students should come first?

I realize the risk is low but is it a risk any sane person would take?

I guess an innocent person would say exactly what he's already said.  What else is he supposed to say?

The moment you start talking to the media you've put one foot in quicksand- the more you move the quicker you go go down, and there's no way out.

He could be lying of course- we don't know.

8 hours ago, balo said:

I would advise him not to, if he does post here anything he says maybe be used as evidence against him.

6 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Do you not think the interests of the students should come first?

I realize the risk is low but is it a risk any sane person would take?

I merely said that they wouldn't do it.

What I think about that is immaterial.

2 hours ago, TKDfella said:

I agree with many here. Leave the chap alone. I have no doubt that the English police will investigate and approach him/request an interview if they think it is necessary. Naturally the dead lady's parents will have concerns. I would hope the English police realise this and liaise with the Thai authorities in the event they establish anything.

Now their is talk the Thais may take over investigations and try him in Thailand with the prospects of the death penalty the British investigators will clam up,

7 minutes ago, Benroon said:
1 hour ago, Basil B said:

Now their is talk the Thais may take over investigations and try him in Thailand with the prospects of the death penalty the British investigators will clam up,

Yep,  the UK police will refuse all help unless they get it in writing their is no chance of the death penalty 

I think if Mr Armatage is tried for murder the trial should be held in the UK, probably Manchester or Preston Crown Courts near to where the body was found because British jurors could understand picture more the evidence and if appropriate they could be taken to places of interest relating to the evidence. try describing a cold boggy more to a Thai...

9 minutes ago, Basil B said:

I think if Mr Armatage is tried for murder the trial should be held in the UK, probably Manchester or Preston Crown Courts near to where the body was found because British jurors could understand picture more the evidence and if appropriate they could be taken to places of interest relating to the evidence. try describing a cold boggy more to a Thai...

What importance- if any- do you place on evidence?  

What is your understanding of the phrase- 'beyond all reasonable doubt'?

19 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Agree. Need to leave him alone and not screw up his life in the interim. It’s not like he is even remotely guilty or being close to being Mr. Armitage the Ripper. 

Well - maybe not the murder as this will be up to the ongoing investigation to prove, BUT what seems pretty strange is that he has served a fake story for his children about his wife and their mother running away with another man and he moved with the children to Thailand without to have any contact with his parents in law and without to let the children have any contact with their grand parents - it just seems to be more to this story ...

36 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

What importance- if any- do you place on evidence?  

What is your understanding of the phrase- 'beyond all reasonable doubt'?

Important enough that that the jurors should be able to understand all the evidence in it's entirety, that the prosecution should make the case and the defence must changeling it where possible even going as far as putting hypothetical scenarios to the jury however unrealistic, I would imagine all jurors are instructed on the meaning of "Beyond all reasonable doubt".

Wonder if if any one has done Jury service and ca tell us what the were instructed in regards to the phrase "Beyond all reasonable doubt"?   

Edit in:

Seems things are different now:

However, juries in criminal courts in England are no longer customarily directed to consider whether there is "reasonable doubt" about a defendant's guilt. Indeed, a 2008 conviction was appealed after the judge had said to the jury "You must be satisfied of guilt beyond all reasonable doubt." The conviction was upheld but the Appeal Court made clear their unhappiness with the judge's remark, indicating that the judge should instead have said to the jury simply that before they can return a verdict of guilty, they "must be sure that the defendant is guilty

Wikipedia...

You guys make me puke. I know David and his kids for years, he's one of the nicest gentlest people ever. He adores his family and he protected them from more heart ache by saying what he did. Would you sanctimonious cretins do any different with young children. People up here in Kan that know him Thai and Farang have no doubt Dave did nothing and this diatribe is vile and horrible for him and his family.

58 minutes ago, ewelve said:

You guys make me puke. I know David and his kids for years, he's one of the nicest gentlest people ever. He adores his family and he protected them from more heart ache by saying what he did. Would you sanctimonious cretins do any different with young children. People up here in Kan that know him Thai and Farang have no doubt Dave did nothing and this diatribe is vile and horrible for him and his family.

Thanks Dave.

13 hours ago, Briggsy said:

He did do something about it. He immediately relocated to Thailand.

If he relocated to Thailand in 2007 with the two younger children by his wife as the OP suggests, this would have been around the time of the inquest which recorded an open verdict (i.e. they did not know what caused her death).  British media reports say the Thai child remained in Britain with Mr. Armitage's parents, the boy having arrived in Britain sometime after Mr. Armitage's son George was born in the early 1990s and before the daughter was born in 1999.  What became of him?

The deceased woman was never reported missing by Mr. Armitage, which is one of the reasons the British police are now treating this as a murder enquiry.  Another reason is that the police are sure that the body was moved from the place of death to the location where it was found.

Initially the police treated it as a non-suspicious death and theorised that she had died of hypothermia.  However, after new information emerged in 2016, their attitude changed.

Sources: various British media reports in the Sun, the Guardian, the Daily Mail and the BBC.

Archived