Clair C+ Air Purifier

canthai55

I do not buy any electronic device that does not have a dedicated service centre in Chiang Mai. I have been bitten too many times by having bought Amazon, Google & other devices from websites, only to find there is no way of getting things repaired properly.

A friend just got some air purifiers in CM at Power Buy at Central Festival but said it was slim pickings.  I'd like to get one locally tomorrow but I'm not sure how many options there are left. 

Can anyone point me to a specific store in CM and if possible a specific air purifier model that should be available here?  I don't want to order anything online.  I want it purchased and serviced here in CM.

Thanks.

SPORTS UPDATE!

I made the rounds today and every place either didn't have them more likely they were sold out/out of stock.

Mi store on 3rd floor of Festival had a 9,500 baht unit one could order for pickup tomorrow but I declined (for now).

Power Buy has this for 6,900 baht.  Only works with rooms up to 20 square meters.:

Clair C+ Air Purifier

I went to two Power Buys, Siam TV, Festival IT City, Home Pro, Index Living Mall, and Big C Extra.  Any other places I didn't think of?  I would like to get one tomorrow if possible...I didn't know it would be so difficult.  I'd drive to Lampang or somewhere outside of town if I thought I could find something.

I purchased a Xiaomi unit from Lazada. Took 3 days.

It does a reasonable job, but I doubt many of these lower end units have ever seen many 400+ days, so it gets down to 40 but struggles to get any lower...but at least that is safe.

This was was the reading when I turned it in this morning...its down under 100 now.

I am finding this toxic wasteland very concerning and after 12 years, my time here is coming to an end...this is no way to live.

IMG_9419.jpg

On 3/22/2019 at 11:01 PM, stargazer9999 said:

I don't want to order anything online.  I want it purchased and serviced here in CM.

You are aware that buying something locally does not mean it can be serviced locally (or at all)?  Only a few, mostly multi-nationals, actually service much here and even then it sometimes requires import of parts and often priced to encourage buying new.  

1 hour ago, DLock said:

I purchased a Xiaomi unit from Lazada. Took 3 days.

It does a reasonable job, but I doubt many of these lower end units have ever seen many 400+ days, so it gets down to 40 but struggles to get any lower...

Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-24 um 11.49.23.png

What are folks there using to "seal" their windows and doors?

I found some 3M window and door sealing tape rolls via OfficeMate online here in BKK, but their supply was very limited, and OM was the only place I've ever seen such a product here.

Is there something else that you folks can find and use there locally?

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I found some 3M window and door sealing tape rolls via OfficeMate online here in BKK, but their supply was very limited, and OM was the only place I've ever seen such a product here.

HomePro here in Latphao has been selling such things for a few years now - I bought door strips some years ago and on last visit noted they had a fair range of such items for sale.  

On 3/22/2019 at 5:39 PM, canthai55 said:

Just picked one up. Made in Korea.

Did you buy locally somewhere, if so where?  Or did you buy online from their website for delivery?

In reading thru the details, it's hard to understand how those units can have such low electrical usage... 5 watts?  Their product description says its because they don't have ionizers and such. But for my air purifiers, it's not those elements that use the power. It's the rotating fan being driven by the motor at high speeds to suck large volumes of air thru the filter and out into the room...

Also, don't see anything in their information about their products being rated for amounts of Clean Air Delivery, which is a kind of standard for how much filtered air output a unit can produce.

44 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

HomePro here in Latphao has been selling such things for a few years now - I bought door strips some years ago and on last visit noted they had a fair range of such items for sale.  

Lopburi, this is what I bought from OfficeMate online... I've never seen anything comparable either on the HomePro website or in my local HomePro store....

880167847_Print2019-03-2412_52_29.jpg.1278f2e373ba782ede5221971087bfe0.jpg

https://www.officemate.co.th/en/scotch-เทปปิดร่องประตู-หน้าต่าง-ภายใน-ขาว-สก๊อตช์-xn004211100-ofm9000486

They had another thicker model that is this product, but currently show it as out of stock, not surprisingly:

1962705050_Print2019-03-2413_01_08.jpg.f0179a02c5822bc527192aa4459ef709.jpg

https://www.officemate.co.th/en/scotch-เทปปิดร่องประตู-หน้าต่าง-แบบขน-เทา-สก๊อตช์-xt300959663-ofm9000485

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thanks much!  Do you have any kind of PM2.5 sensor at home that would enable you to monitor/measure just how effective the unit is at cleaning your air?

No moniter. Seat of the pants - or back of the throat - experience shows they do work. 

We have it in the bedroom. Go to sleep with a scratchy throat, wake up and it is gone.

I do not believe for a second that a cheap PM meter will be anywhere near accurate. A proper model would cost 10's of thousands of Baht.

But people still buy them, and believe what they show.

Like those 'Surgical' masks and copy 3M 'Respirators'

Much baht profit being made - like the old Medicine Show tonics.

Sheeple.

5 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

I do not believe for a second that a cheap PM meter will be anywhere near accurate. A proper model would cost 10's of thousands of Baht.

Sorry, but you're wrong about the personal PM2.5 sensors that people are using here.

The Sndway 825 model and the Xiaomi model, which each cost around $50 U.S. 1500-2000 baht), have both been shown to be pretty accurate and very closely mirror what the official reporting sites show for the areas where they're being used.

They're good devices and serve as very accurate indicators of just what's going on in the home environment where they're being used.

1 minute ago, canthai55 said:

So be it - I have about 800 baht unit and it is reading close to government monitoring stations and have had no reason not to believe it.  Just as you do not need to spend 10's (or even thousands of baht in many cases) for a good blood pressure device or TV today the cost of normal grade electronics that do the job advertised is not that much.  But guess that makes me improper.  

no, that is not my own experiance. i've tested (at varying pm level) four different models / brands of pm2.5 meters.
all had slightly different results (about 5 to max 20%). but on a low testing level (5 to 50 µg/m3), all had the similar results

for the pm2.5! the price range for the devices were about 2'000 to 6'000 thb ...

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

No moniter. Seat of the pants - or back of the throat - experience shows they do work. 

We have it in the bedroom. Go to sleep with a scratchy throat, wake up and it is gone.

But people still buy them, and believe what they show.

Like those 'Surgical' masks and copy 3M 'Respirators'

Much baht profit being made - like the old Medicine Show tonics.

Sheeple.

The portable laser particle counters are more than sensitive and accurate enough for "home use".

The video below shows the resolution of the air quality improvement.  Video is sped up 2X as the original is a boring 9+ mins.

The middle and model on the right even has enough resolution to show "gradations" of 0 ug/m3, if you are willing to view till the end.

Now, some air purifiers (like that Mfresh one shown in the video) only use Sharp IR modules, those are mostly inaccurate and unreliable, but might still give you a very rough indication.

BTW, i'm not from Thailand, so the models/prices i got are not indicative of what you guys can get in Thailand/CM.   

Over here we get direct from China sellers and consolidate multiple items that we have bought and foward freight them over to my country.   So it's slightly different from your Lazada/aliexpress.    Anyway, my laser particle counters are dirt cheap, like usd 20-30.

And anyway, here's a reference photo to an expensive TSI Dust Trak II.   This comparison was done by my pal who has access to such equipment in the lab.   I can't find the picture that compares it to an even more expensive MetOne BAM 1020  (using Beta Attenuation Method)....expensive enough to get you a car over there in Thailand.

mVeNkLP.jpg

8 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

What I bought years ago looks like the second item not not positive it was 3M.  Was looking for two sided tape on last visit so not sure they still have or not.  Do not see on website.  But do see these currently available.

https://www.homepro.co.th/homePro/th/search/?selectedView=gridView&text=raven+weather+strip

Ya, never quite sure what EN term to use when searching for this stuff here...

OfficeMate calls it "weathering tape," which I never would have tried. Your HomePro link calls it "weather strip", which is closer.  I think I was searching for a 3M product at HomePro, and came up blank.

FWIW, the Raven product looks like it should be OK, though it's more expensive than the two comparable types of stripping I bought from OfficeMate. I noticed today on Lazada, some BKK re-seller is offering those same types of imported Raven brand products for 500-600 baht a pop!

In the case of the 3M versions I bought and the Raven products you've shown, they all in each package have a 5 meter long roll of insulation, which is enough to cover pretty much a full door frame.

Originally, at home, I did the tops and sides of my doorframes, because those were the easiest sections to access. But of course, the largest gaps at least in my home are UNDERNEATH the doorways. So today, I went back and did the underneath segments, which took a bit more work since I couldn't get my fingers underneath the door to press the insulation into place. So instead, I used a thin metal ruler I had a home to slide underneath and then press the insulation into place. A flat kitchen knife would have served a similar purpose.  I wasn't really inclined to start removing and then rehanging the doors themselves.

Sealing up those underdoor gaps and a few others seems to have made a big difference in the infiltration levels of outdoor air, based on my indoor sensor readings today and being able to keep my purifiers running on low.

Archived