Allen Carr's Easy Way To Control Alcohol

mjthai007

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I've read this book. Allen does as complete a job on drinking as he does on smoking.

I was previously unable to understand my drinking, much less get any kind of a grip on it, but this book did the job for me. Understanding was certainly the key for me and this man understands addictions. Once you understand what is happening to you, control is in your grasp.

I cannot speak highly enough about this book, it does exactly what it says on the tin.

Drinking is no longer a devil to me, my social life is full, I do not have to avoid bars etc.

Good luck!

Bounder.

• 3 weeks later...

personally i dont drink at all.

No need to, i am happy as i am.

alcohol doesn't add anything to life except devestation,

it changes people into people whom they really not are.

except for the few who really can handlle a drink, alcohol is State enemy no 1!!!

"even when the monkey is in a coma..........it feels like something scratching on your back!!!"

Never read it, but hope it works.

• 1 month later...
Yes, I've read this book. Allen does as complete a job on drinking as he does on smoking.

I was previously unable to understand my drinking, much less get any kind of a grip on it, but this book did the job for me. Understanding was certainly the key for me and this man understands addictions. Once you understand what is happening to you, control is in your grasp.

I cannot speak highly enough about this book, it does exactly what it says on the tin.

Drinking is no longer a devil to me, my social life is full, I do not have to avoid bars etc.

Good luck!

Bounder.

I got this book on the strength of your comments - however, it is not a guide to controlling drinking but a method to quit drinking. He quotes repeatedly from AA literature and basically concludes that alcohol is an addictive poison which should be known as devastation. I would be very enlightened to know how this has helped you - are you now sipping soft drinks in bars ? For me the book gave me no help in controlling my alcoholic intake - in fact the monotony of reading it led to a sharp increase.

I would greatly appreciate your comments Thanks BB

• 1 month later...

Good luck!

Bounder.

I got this book on the strength of your comments - however, it is not a guide to controlling drinking but a method to quit drinking. He quotes repeatedly from AA literature and basically concludes that alcohol is an addictive poison which should be known as devastation. I would be very enlightened to know how this has helped you - are you now sipping soft drinks in bars ? For me the book gave me no help in controlling my alcoholic intake - in fact the monotony of reading it led to a sharp increase.

Hi BB,

The book helped me by allowing me to understand why I was drinking at all. I had got to the point in life where I could not even go home after work without an 'after work pint', or more likely two or three. I would drink it (the pint) thinking that it tasted bad and knowing it would destroy my appetite. Then later in the evening, if I'd been home, I'd have to come out again for more. Most likely I didn't go home or eat. I was incredibly hard up at the time - no fun in the UK - and so drinking in all the quality, 'pound a pint' venues, Witherspoon's etc.

This is a VERY mild description of what was happening as I'm sure you can appreciate - the point is I was engaged in a behaviour I did not enjoy but was unable to control. It was stealing the money from my pocket, the time from my life and I found that I began to slur my words after only 1 or 2 drinks, very attractive to the opposite sex.

In short, I didn't want to drink but was unable to stop. This book helped me understand how and why I had got to that point. Then I was able to control my drinking.

Now I can drink soft drinks or alcohol, but I am no longer controled by the alcohol. The cravings are gone and I have my life back.

Keep looking for the way out and good luck mate.

Bounder.

Park Hotel, Bangkok, soi 7 - 8:30pm every night!

Forget Allen Carr - this is the best way to quit drinking. There are many guys who have quit drinking for many years who attend this meeting. Listen to them. Listen to mdeland!

Good luck!

Bounder.

Hi BB,

The book helped me by allowing me to understand why I was drinking at all. I had got to the point in life where I could not even go home after work without an 'after work pint', or more likely two or three. I would drink it (the pint) thinking that it tasted bad and knowing it would destroy my appetite. Then later in the evening, if I'd been home, I'd have to come out again for more. Most likely I didn't go home or eat. I was incredibly hard up at the time - no fun in the UK - and so drinking in all the quality, 'pound a pint' venues, Witherspoon's etc.

This is a VERY mild description of what was happening as I'm sure you can appreciate - the point is I was engaged in a behaviour I did not enjoy but was unable to control. It was stealing the money from my pocket, the time from my life and I found that I began to slur my words after only 1 or 2 drinks, very attractive to the opposite sex.

In short, I didn't want to drink but was unable to stop. This book helped me understand how and why I had got to that point. Then I was able to control my drinking.

Now I can drink soft drinks or alcohol, but I am no longer controled by the alcohol. The cravings are gone and I have my life back.

Keep looking for the way out and good luck mate.

Bounder.

Thanks very much for your reply - the book does in fact preach abstinence so I am pleased for you that you can now control your drinking - do you look upon each glass of beer as devastation now and in that way control your drinking ?

I notice that the topic is about a book but there seems to be a trend towards recommending a meeting at Soi 7 - is this AA or something ?

Cheers BB

Thanks very much for your reply - the book does in fact preach abstinence so I am pleased for you that you can now control your drinking - do you look upon each glass of beer as devastation now and in that way control your drinking ?

I notice that the topic is about a book but there seems to be a trend towards recommending a meeting at Soi 7 - is this AA or something ?

Cheers BB

Hi again BB,

When I read the book I was truely and totally fed up with drinking but unable to stop doing it.

Now that I don't have to drink I find that when I do have a beer (or two) or whatever I can easily leave it alone again - something that was unthinkable before. The reason is that I have found that I genuinely don't like it, the taste, effect or costs. It's 'must have' power is gone and so it's control over me.

I've no idea about the Soi 7 thing. The only thing I know for sure about Soi 7 are the gap toothed temptreses that inhabit the Beer Garden (should that be Fear Garden?) at the end. Presumably one should be drunk before venturing in.

Bounder.

• 3 weeks later...
Park Hotel, Bangkok, soi 7 - 8:30pm every night!

Forget Allen Carr - this is the best way to quit drinking. There are many guys who have quit drinking for many years who attend this meeting. Listen to them. Listen to mdeland!

I agree for most problem drinkers, including me, the solution has been complete abstenince. However there are many ways of doing this and mettings is just one way. Meetings do not suit everyone. There are many who have achieved many years of sobriety without help from any support group. One size does not fit all. I would point out, however, that the meetings have worked for many people and it has led to them being able lead productive lives. I choose not to attend any support group and enjoy my sobriety immensely and have no intention of giving this up.

My advice to anybody with an alcohol problem is to find what works for you. I would say that in at least the majority of (likely all) cases abstinence is the answer. Control sounds like too much of an effort and itr was not something I personally could achieve.

BTW, I do not consider myself to be an alcoholic. I did not need to give alcohol up, in the end I just outgrew it.

• 12 years later...

Never read it, but hope it works. Apart from this, friends there are many other options available which helps to stop addiction. I am working with one such organization not directly but indirectly, especially to those are addicted to drugs. May they also help people addicted to alcohol also.????

https://addictionresource.com/drug-rehab/new-york/ 

Edited by Alexendra