Can Thai Dual National Own Real Estate?

14 hours ago, blackcab said:

Yes. Your ex partner and your daughter can own real estate in Thailand.

If your daughter is under 20 years old then it will be extremely difficult to sell any property in her name until she becomes an adult.

Agree from experience, several pieces of land, one with a nice house recorded in daughters name (Thai mother / western father) from when she was a small child.

Farang had an accident and died.

Girls mother had always been intimidated by her older siblings who now insisted all the property in the underage girls name be sold and money distributed to all of the Thai family.

The Thai mother tied to explain that she couldn't sell these properties. Relatives went to the police and demanded the police order the girls mother to sell. Police said cannot, against the law, greedy uncle of the girl got abusive with the cops, quick smart a senior cop was involved and arranged for the relatives be given copies of the appropriate laws (in Thai) and had a police expert explain it to them.

Senior cop then put a stop to the whole thing by fining the loud mouth uncle 10,000Baht for abuse and said if you, the relatives,  didn't back off he would charge them.

They backed off but then ostracized the little girl.

All of the above happened to an old buddy, untilt his demise located in Udon Thani.

On the other side of the coin, I'm aware of families in the west trying somewhat similar tactics.

If the under than 20 child (owner) tries to sell the land, the court gets involved to ensure the child has a voice, in his/her best interest, and not being manipulated by a relative or the guardian - due to greediness 

this is all a good thing - my child is eight....

My wife has Thai:/ Australian citizenship owns a house with land,motel, apartments and some blocks of land.

All bought legally and registered using a lawyer

Cannot see why you would have a problem, re the daughter suspect she is too young would need to be an adult 

3 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

re the daughter suspect she is too young would need to be an adult 

Nope, kids can own property, but they aren't allowed debt, so no loans on the property.

My 7-year-old Thai/English son owns the family Tobacco farm in Petchabun.

12 hours ago, StevieAus said:

My wife has Thai:/ Australian citizenship owns a house with land,motel, apartments and some blocks of land.

All bought legally and registered using a lawyer

Cannot see why you would have a problem, re the daughter suspect she is too young would need to be an adult 

There is no need for a lawyer to register any of the above. As mentioned in most above replies - no problem for children of any age to own property, however cannot mortgage the property nor sell it without court approval - and the court approval will be given only if there is proof that the funds remain for the child's benefit (so cannot sell and divide the funds between family members...) 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived