Two Non-OA questions (Entry by date and 90 day reporting out of country)

For a non O-A visa is there an "entry by" stipulation?  In other words once a visa is issued is there deadline to enter the country?  If so what is that time frame?  Is it possible to get a visa and not arrive for say 9 months or so?

Also, after arriving, and either on the visa or visa extension, can the 90 day reporting be done online but out of the country? 

I'm asking both questions due to a mode of travel I am thinking of that isn't really conducive to covering distances quickly. 

Thanks

Edited by Slosheroni

The non-O-A visa will have an enter date stamped on it.  There is no 90-day reporting when you are out of the country.  You only report when you spend 90 days in the country.  On-line reporting and reporting by mail are both available but you must report to the immigration office responsible for where you live.  Someone will come along shortly to tell you the length of time that you get to enter with an O-A visa.  I don't remember.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Slosheroni said:

For a non O-A visa is there an "entry by" stipulation?  In other words once a visa is issued is there deadline to enter the country?  If so what is that time frame?  Is it possible to get a visa and not arrive for say 9 months or so?

The visa is valid for 1 year from it’s issue date. 

Yes you could enter after 9 months. You can enter right up to the last day of the visas validity.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Slosheroni said:

Also, after arriving, and either on the visa or visa extension, can the 90 day reporting be done online but out of the country? 

Unlikely you’ll be able to make the first report online. Once you’re in the system you should be able to report online.

If you are out of the country there is no need to report. You only need to report your Thai address if you’re staying longer than 90 days. When you leave the country the 90 day count stops, and resets to day 1 on the day you return.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

The visa is valid for 1 year from it’s issue date. 

Yes you could enter after 9 months. You can enter right up to the last day of the visas validity.

Thank you..  I know this might be a dumb question and I should have asked in the o.p. but once I arrive then the visa would be valid from the date of arrival right?  So I could get the visa, arrive nine months later for instance, then have one year from the arrival date, not the issuance date.  So in this scenario basically have a year and nine months before expiry. 

18 minutes ago, Slosheroni said:

Thank you..  I know this might be a dumb question and I should have asked in the o.p. but once I arrive then the visa would be valid from the date of arrival right?  So I could get the visa, arrive nine months later for instance, then have one year from the arrival date, not the issuance date.  So in this scenario basically have a year and nine months before expiry. 

No, the visa is valid until its expiry date.  Once you are in Thailand your right to remain dates from the day of your arrival.  So if your visa expires on 31 March 2019 and you arrive on 30 March 2019 (1) the visa expires on 31 March 2019 (2) your right to remain expires on 30 March 2020 (or the date in your passport, whatever that might be)

Edited by ThaiBunny
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Slosheroni said:

Yes. Every time you enter using the visa you are issued with permission to stay for 1 year (it’s a permit not a visa).

If you want to maximise your stay in the country using the visa you should exit/re-enter just before the visa expires to get a final 1 year permit to stay.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Yes. Every time you enter using the visa you are issued with permission to stay for 1 year (it’s a permit not a visa).

If you want to maximise your stay in the country using the visa you should exit/re-enter just before the visa expires to get a final 1 year permit to stay.

Thanks again.  One more question if you don't mind.  So are you saying that if I leave the country on the original permit when I re-enter I get another one year permit?  If that's so how many times can that be done? 

I thought I read that one can get the O-A visa as multiple entry but I was thinking that would allow one to enter and exit within the one year time frame and no more, until an extension of one year is granted then it starts all over again.  So once the original one year is permitted you could come and go as long as you had a multiple re-entry permit but while doing so the one year clock was ticking.  I didn't realize you could exit and a new one permit would be issued upon re-entry. Sorry,  I'm just a little confused about the wording of it all. 

It's very simple if you understand a visa is a permission to enter a country, and upon each entry you are allowed a permission to stay period. These are not the same.

The period a visa is valid for is the period during which you can use the visa to enter the country.  Each time you enter the country you are given a period during which you are allowed permission to stay in the country . For an OA this is one year.

Thus for a multi entry non OA visa that is valid for a year, you are allowed to enter the country at any time during that year. Each time you enter you are given a permission to stay period of one year. Therefore if you enter the country on the last day that your visa is valid you can stay a year after that. 

However your visa is not valid during this period, so although you can stay for a year, if you leave during this period and try to come back you will just be given a 30-day visa waiver permission to stay  because you don't have a valid visa (permission to enter the country) any more. 

If you want to leave during the time your visa is not valid you can buy a re-entry permit. This is a substitute permission to enter the country that avoids you being given a 30 day no visa permission to stay period, so you will be allowed to stay until the end of the last permission to stay period that you were granted  when you entered on your OA visa.

Edited by partington
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Slosheroni said:

Thanks again.  One more question if you don't mind.  So are you saying that if I leave the country on the original permit when I re-enter I get another one year permit?  If that's so how many times can that be done? 

Sort of. When you leave the current 1 year permit to stay ends. When you next re-enter — using the Non ‘O-A’ (entry) visa — you will get a new 1 year permit to stay.

21 minutes ago, Slosheroni said:

I thought I read that one can get the O-A visa as multiple entry but I was thinking that would allow one to enter and exit within the one year time frame and no more, until an extension of one year is granted then it starts all over again.  So once the original one year is permitted you could come and go as long as you had a multiple re-entry permit but while doing so the one year clock was ticking.  I didn't realize you could exit and a new one permit would be issued upon re-entry. Sorry,  I'm just a little confused about the wording of it all. 

If the visa is issued on Jan 1st it will expire at midnight on Dec 31st. It is a multiple entry visa, and you can enter as many times as you want between those dates.

Every time you enter you receive a new 1 year permit to stay. Even if you enter on Dec 31st you will receive permission to stay for 1 year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slosheroni said:

No

After your visa expires you would only get a 30 day visa exempt entry.

If you had used your visa previously you would have to get a re-entry permit to keep that one year entry valid if you wanted to enter the country. You would be stamped into the to the date that one year entry ends.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No

After your visa expires you would only get a 30 day visa exempt entry.

If you had used your visa previously you would have to get a re-entry permit to keep that one year entry valid if you wanted to enter the country. You would be stamped into the to the date that one year entry ends.

Thanks Joe,

Does what you are saying jibe with what elviajero posted above you?  The way I'm understanding it is as follows:

The initial Non O-A multiple entry one year visa, remains valid for a year (an actual visa). 

Every time I would leave and enter under that visa I would then have a permit for one year from that latest entry date up until the time that the initial visa expires (i.e. Dec 31 in elviajero's example).  I guess this is the crux of the question.  I'm understanding elviajero's post as saying I would get a one-year permit but your post as saying that's not so, that the clock would still be ticking on the initial one year visa.  I'm sure I'm misunderstanding one of the posts so I'd be grateful for the correction.

So again, by entering under the initial one year Non O-A on Dec 31 (the day of expiration) in his example I would then have an additional one year permit to stay from that date.  I would then be using a one year permit rather than a visa which then starts to change the equation. 

From that point on (until the permit expires in one year), I would need a re-entry permit which would allow for stay but not with a one year extension on each arrival but rather with the clock ticking on the one year permit.  The re-entry permit would only allow for stay up until that permit expires.  If I didn't have a re-entry permit then I would then only be allowed a visa exemption entry. 

Is this right?  Sorry for being a bit obtuse.  I just want to be sure of what I'm understanding

Thanks

Thanks Joe,

Does what you are saying jibe with what elviajero posted above you?  The way I'm understanding it is as follows:

The initial Non O-A multiple entry one year visa, remains valid for a year (an actual visa). 

Yes.

Every time I would leave and enter under that visa I would then have a permit for one year from that latest entry date up until the time that the initial visa expires (i.e. Dec 31 in elviajero's example).  I guess this is the crux of the question. 

No. Every time you enter before Dec 31st you get a new 1 year permit to stay.

I'm understanding elviajero's post as saying I would get a one-year permit but your post as saying that's not so, that the clock would still be ticking on the initial one year visa.  I'm sure I'm misunderstanding one of the posts so I'd be grateful for the correction.

You are being confused because UJ is talking about leaving and re-entering after the entry visa has exipired.

e.g. 

Visa expires 31/12/2019

Enter 30/12/2019

Permission to stay until 29/12/2020.

If you were to leave on 15/01/2020 you’re permission to stay until 29/12/2020 ends. If you tried entering again on 20/01/2020 you would only receive a 30 day stay because the entry visa has expired.

HOWEVER, you can protect that permission to stay by buying a re-entry permit before you leave. Then If you re-enter on 20/01/2010 — and present the re-entry permit — you will be stamped in until the remainder of the protected stay being 29/12/2020.

I hope that helps.

• Like 1

I think you have nailed it in your post.

The OA can be a little confusing to understand because it’s a 1 year visa but you can stay for two years ( 1st year on visa, 2nd year permission to stay).

I’ll run through the basics using Jan 1 2019 as issued date.

Your OA stamp will have 2 dates:

Issue date: 1st Jan 2019

Enter before/valid until date: 31st Dec 2019

It’s a multi entry visa so you can come and go at will until 31st Dec 2019.

Each time you enter you will get an “ admitted until “ stamp in your passport with a date of 1 year ( -1 day ) in the future.

The trick is to leave and re-enter close to 31st Dec 2019 to maximise it’s utility. This can be done by flying out or simply crossing the border at various places and returning either on foot or using an agent pick up etc, borders vary.

For example: you leave Thailand and re-enter 16th Dec 2019 you will get an “ admitted until “ date of 15th Dec 2020 .

Note: after 31st Dec 2019 your visa is expired and you need to obtain a re-entry permit ( obtainable at immigration or airport before you leave !! ) if you want to travel and re-enter Thailand.

The re-entry permit ( 1000 baht single entry, 3800 baht multi entry) keeps your permission to stay valid.

In the above example you can stay until 15th Dec 2020 when you then go get an extension of your permission to stay from your local Immigration Office, vapid for 1 year, cost 1900 baht, financial requirements required and new re-entry permit needed.

If you attempt to enter without a re-entry permit ( after your visa has expired) you will be given 30 days and your permission to stay based on your OA visa will be lost and basically you have to start again.( I think this is what Joe was referring to).

90 days:

You report to your local Immigration Office when staying here 90 CONSECUTIVE days, if you leave before when you return the 90 days “ clock “ starts again.

Normally required to do 1st 90 day report in person and can do online afterwards, not all offices accept online reporting.

Sorry for the long winded post [emoji4].

( Elviajeiro answered while I was writing my novel [emoji51]).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

Yes.

No. Every time you enter before Dec 31st you get a new 1 year permit to stay.

You are being confused because UJ is talking about leaving and re-entering after the entry visa has exipired.

e.g. 

Visa expires 31/12/2019

Enter 30/12/2019

Permission to stay until 29/12/2020.

If you were to leave on 15/01/2020 you’re permission to stay until 29/12/2020 ends. If you tried entering again on 20/01/2020 you would only receive a 30 day stay because the entry visa has expired.

HOWEVER, you can protect that permission to stay by buying a re-entry permit before you leave. Then If you re-enter on 20/01/2010 — and present the re-entry permit — you will be stamped in until the remainder of the protected stay being 29/12/2020.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,  that helps immensely.  That's what I thought both you and Joe were suggesting but I just wanted to be clear.   Thanks again for your time.

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I think you have nailed it in your post.

The OA can be a little confusing to understand because it’s a 1 year visa but you can stay for two years ( 1st year on visa, 2nd year permission to stay).

I’ll run through the basics using Jan 1 2019 as issued date.

Your OA stamp will have 2 dates:

Issue date: 1st Jan 2019

Enter before/valid until date: 31st Dec 2019

It’s a multi entry visa so you can come and go at will until 31st Dec 2019.

Each time you enter you will get an “ admitted until “ stamp in your passport with a date of 1 year ( -1 day ) in the future.

The trick is to leave and re-enter close to 31st Dec 2019 to maximise it’s utility. This can be done by flying out or simply crossing the border at various places and returning either on foot or using an agent pick up etc, borders vary.

For example: you leave Thailand and re-enter 16th Dec 2019 you will get an “ admitted until “ date of 15th Dec 2020 .

Note: after 31st Dec 2019 your visa is expired and you need to obtain a re-entry permit ( obtainable at immigration or airport before you leave !! ) if you want to travel and re-enter Thailand.

The re-entry permit ( 1000 baht single entry, 3800 baht multi entry) keeps your permission to stay valid.

In the above example you can stay until 15th Dec 2020 when you then go get an extension of your permission to stay from your local Immigration Office, vapid for 1 year, cost 1900 baht, financial requirements required and new re-entry permit needed.

If you attempt to enter without a re-entry permit ( after your visa has expired) you will be given 30 days and your permission to stay based on your OA visa will be lost and basically you have to start again.( I think this is what Joe was referring to).

90 days:

You report to your local Immigration Office when staying here 90 CONSECUTIVE days, if you leave before when you return the 90 days “ clock “ starts again.

Normally required to do 1st 90 day report in person and can do online afterwards, not all offices accept online reporting.

Sorry for the long winded post emoji4.png.

( Elviajeiro answered while I was writing my novel emoji51.png).

Andrew,

Fantastic post and now with everyone's help my understanding is clear.   Much obliged. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Slosheroni said:

Have you looked at your visa? I assume you know what is a visa. It is the sticker on your passport. Does it have a valid until date? What do you thing that date is? 

If you ever entered Thailand, you know the IO puts  a square rubber stamp on your passport. Does it have a Admitted Until  date? What is that date, you think?

If you're a Thailand veteran and  you've not figured it out by now those two dates, I have no explanations for you. Otherwise, please confirm that it is your first visit to Thailand. You already have your query answered by generous, kind, and patience posters. I have nothing more to add

Edited by onera1961

3 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

It was not confusing at all to me. MY first question in this forum after I signed up was how to get a retirement visa. Most of the suggestions were the routine tourist visa, conversion, put money in Thai bank, get embassy letter, etc. As I started exploring the embassy websites, I came to know about the O-A and O-X and found O-A is the easiest to get. I did not like O-X because it requires forced purchase of health insurance from their chosen providers and that smelled a scam to me. I am glad to see that more suggestions are coming for O-A now a days. I just got my second year from my O-A. Now I have to get a reentry permit. Hope I don't forget when I leave Thailand next month .

Edited by onera1961

It was not confusing at all to me. MY first question in this forum after I signed up was how to get a retirement visa. Most of the suggestions were the routine tourist visa, conversion, put money in Thai bank, get embassy letter, etc. As I started exploring the embassy websites, I came to know about the O-A and O-X and found O-A is the easiest to get. I did not like O-X because it requires forced purchase of health insurance from their chosen providers and that smelled a scam to me. I am glad to see that more suggestions are coming for O-A now a days. I just got my second year from my O-A. Now I have to get a reentry permit. Hope I don't forget when I leave Thailand next month .

Some do find it confusing and a couple of TVF members have got a shock on returning to LOS to get 30 days only ( and probably a few more who didn’t want to admit their mistake on TVF ) .

Soo, don’t forget that re-entry permit !!

I got an OA 2 1/2 years ago and squeezed 23 months out of it , due to the new financial requirements I’m probably gonna go back for another later this year .

Just gonna wait and see how this new online OA ( Thai Embassy in London )is gonna workout first before I decide.

2 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Have you looked at your visa? I assume you know what is a visa. It is the sticker on your passport. Does it have a valid until date? What do you thing that date is? 

If you ever entered Thailand, you know the IO puts  a square rubber stamp on your passport. Does it have a Admitted Until  date? What is that date, you think?

If you're a Thailand veteran and  you've not figured it out by now those two dates, I have no explanations for you. Otherwise, please confirm that it is your first visit to Thailand. You already have your query answered by generous, kind, and patience posters. I have nothing more to add

Is this post for real?  If I was that far down the road that I had a visa in hand I would know the answer.  Did you read the o.p. or is this just another one of those posts that's intended to show how much more veteran or savvy a poster is then someone asking a legitimate question? I'm actually baffled that someone would take it that my o.p. is coming from someone with a visa in a hand.  Good gravy man.

My question was for planning purposes because I do not intend to simply jump on a plane and arrive in Thailand within a few weeks of getting a visa.  My mode of transportation will most likely take me upwards of 8 to 9 months to arrive.  It may have been quite possible that a Non O-A visa would have a stipulation to arrive by, say, 6 months of issuance.  I know Chinese visas and others have "enter by" dates.  Would that be that much of shock to you if at some point in time a Non O-A came up with the same?  If that were the case I'd have to make adjustments to my plan.  

I also have myriad of other visas to research and the logistics there in so it's not a simple as leaving my country on a flight to Thailand.  

And yes, my questions were answered generously......and civilly.  You could have started your post with "nothing to add" and it would have been better because that's all it was.  Just another attempt to look more seasoned then someone else all the while having no clue about the person you're replying to.