Returning to London, Britain's May faces mammoth task to change minds on Brexit

rooster59

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

I know you won't listen to me but please just have a careful listen to Bernard Connolly. It's not so much where the EU is now, it is more about where it is going to go, in all aspects. Remainers do not discuss the future EU much but it is the most important element of this debate and should concern everyone in any case, I think. Connolly, who has worked with the European Commission, explains it all, and very well too:

Forgot to add that his book The Rotten Heart of Europe: The Dirty War for Europe's Money was not well received by the EU............and so they fired him! (where did I hear something like this before - oh yeah Marta Andreasen).

Very interesting, not surprisingly his predictions have come to be shown to be true. What I did like,was how in the first 5 mins he expressed what the E.u is about. Though I’m sure those with blinkers on will disregard the whole interview, preferring instead to -

964E4D47-BBA0-49DD-B0A7-A53DEA73C21E.jpeg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

What it means is that a substantial number of the UK's population do require the government to rethink the Britanic2 shambles. The most important consideration, IMO, whether we support leavers or remainers is to consider whether it would be more beneficial to the UK's population for the UK to enable Brexit or not? IMO, leaving the EU - and the single market and the Customs union is suicidal to our future prosperity. 

Please challenge my post, and prove to me that leaving the EU would be a better place for the UK's population? I would suggest you would be in a minority at this point in time when 4 million people  - and growing substantially - are requiring the government to revoke article 50. 

That includes Nauseas, Laughing gravy and Nontabury whose ideaology I can understand, but IMO, would not benefit the UK going forward. 

Does one know what that "substantial number" is, could it be actually be an insignificant number. You see when you have Mickey Mouse epetitions that is open to abuse, nobody really knows now do they.

And by the way this is an open forum and members don't need prompts from you to answer questions that has been answered multiple times, members have been warned about this behaviour before.

13 minutes ago, vogie said:

Does one know what that "substantial number" is,

You could put you head out the window if you are in central London.

Hundreds of thousands are marching through central London calling for another EU referendum, as MPs search for a way out of the Brexit impasse

Crowds were told the initial count showed more than a million people had turned up - putting it on a par with the biggest march of the century, the Stop the War march in 2003.

BBC correspondent Richard Lister, who was at the scene when the march began in Park Lane, said: "The march set off about 20 minutes ago but the movement up the march has yet to reach this point - and we are relatively close to the front - people here are still waiting to march."

He said the organisers of the march "believe it's the biggest mass movement in the UK"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47678763

_106150996_cd9dc79b-f367-4169-9147-be608b7492bf.jpg.2851722d6774a2e0e966acc6681de3cf.jpg

2 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Because his grandkids shouldn't have to suffer from Brexit - which is what would happen. To do otherwise is irresponsible.

You just don't get it do you? It's not our generation that's going to suffer, but our grandchildren.

You could not be more wrong.

2 hours ago, stephenterry said:

I disagree with his view. And so do smaller companies, let alone the CBI. He comes across as another Rees-Mogg type who would financially benefit vfrom the  UK leaving the EU.

Having said that, of course his predictions could bear fruition at some future point, but that is not the UK's current position.

My main objection to leaving the EU is not that, but leaving the single market and Customs Union is suicidal for the Uk's economy. How anyone could think differently is beyond me.

Disagree that's OK. But the Rees-Mogg type comparison? If any these predictions are valid then those events will of course affect the UK's position, current or otherwise, in or out of the EU.

Your points re the single market and Customs Union are fair but, unfortunately, these sticky creations have not really benefited anyone except the EU, who, from them, gain an enormous amount of money, leverage and control.

This protectionism has helped drag the EU economy down. It is getting worse.

39 minutes ago, vogie said:

Not in London. What would it prove anyway, a lot of people still won't accept democracy?????

We do accept democracy - we just have a different definition of it to you lot !

8 minutes ago, tebee said:

We do accept democracy - we just have a different definition of it to you lot !

You obviously don't accept democracy because you are trying to overturn it, but well done to you for using the phrase "you lot" Our citizens who have voted in a democratic referendum and have won by 1.4 million votes have been reduced to "You lot" And we wonder why there is division in our country.

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Not in London. What would it prove anyway, a lot of people still won't accept democracy?????

Come on. You are better than that. 52/48 whether in favour of Leaving or Remaining - both voices must be heard and neither side allowed to trample on the other.

8 minutes ago, baboon said:

Come on. You are better than that. 52/48 whether in favour of Leaving or Remaining - both voices must be heard and neither side allowed to trample on the other.

Unfortunately that’s exactly what is happening. It’s Democracy that is being trampled on. And only a fool thinks that when the people’s vote is ignored and overturned, that everything will resort to normal

p.s baboon, I’m not referring to you when I write fool, that distinction rest elsewhere.

B5CC98B0-A458-4052-B9CD-0D7C842514F7.jpeg

5 minutes ago, baboon said:

I did say it with tongue in cheek baboon, I even included a smiley face. But there was a vote, and however small (some would say 1.4 million is not small) there had to be a winner. Both sides of the arguement have been heard, but do you honestly think that our illustrious MPs are listening, some have shown a very nasty side and are willing to thwart brexit without a thought for the electorate whatever it takes. 

We obviously have very opposing views, but do you think that because you don't agree with the majority that voted to leave, that their decision should be ignored, how would you sort it out, revoke art 50 and to hell with the majority that voted leave.

Whatever the outcome of this charade, British politics needs to change, we need a complete restructuring of our country, the government cannot possibly promise the public to honour what we decide and then renege on it, and then wonder why people get angry.

But the incompetence of our government has filtered down to our citizens, and all we seem to get is constant name calling from one side to the other. It's a total disgrace.

Anyone following this in the long term will remember that TMay was always a "Remainer".  Her heart is not in it.  Very few politicians were really "Leavers", as has become obvious from the results of the Commons votes.  The referendum result was a direct reflection of the sad fact that UK elections over time have not put true "peoples representatives" in Westminster, only party puppets.  UK desperately needs really independent politicians. 

9 hours ago, stephenterry said:

What it means is that a substantial number of the UK's population do require the government to rethink the Britanic2 shambles. The most important consideration, IMO, whether we support leavers or remainers is to consider whether it would be more beneficial to the UK's population for the UK to enable Brexit or not? IMO, leaving the EU - and the single market and the Customs union is suicidal to our future prosperity. 

Please challenge my post, and prove to me that leaving the EU would be a better place for the UK's population? I would suggest you would be in a minority at this point in time when 4 million people  - and growing substantially - are requiring the government to revoke article 50. 

That includes Nauseas, Laughing gravy and Nontabury whose ideaology I can understand, but IMO, would not benefit the UK going forward. 

So how do other countries not in the EU trade and become prosperous? You make it sound that if you are not in the EU the you are a nobody. tell that to Japan, USA, Singapore, Australia etc etc.

You don't seem to have the confidence, motivation, vision or belief that the UK can trade with other countries. obviously the protectionist EU don't want us to trade or stop paying our money.

People talk about staying in and trying to reform from within. It has been tried and failed. DC tried and the EU want further integration and federalisation. that will be their downfall IMHO.

People of the UK who voted leave and I can only comment on myself and many friends have had enough of being told by Brussels what to do, laws and directives enforced upon them and seeing peoples culture and heritage taken away. This is not xenophobia as I believe the UK  is one of the most accepting countries of others around.

It is people who have lost their jobs to other EU citizens that have undercut them because they will accept cheaper wages. It is those who have tried to get on the council housing waiting list and a family from an EU country or from a supposedly war torn area, that jump then queue that have had enough.

We all live or have in Thailand where we can only get a job if we have the right qualifications and experience. I had to report every 90 days. had my qualifications and experience checked. I had to prove that I had developed professionally every year. I couldn't have done certain jobs because only Thais can do them. I accept that. Thailand is protecting itself. Why can't the UK because in the EU, it isn't allowed. That alone is good enough for me to leave. rather hypocritical that we accept it in Thailand but not in the UK.

The biggest upset for me from many remainers is that they have no pride for their country and seem to want to be ruled and governed by those in Brussels. even denouncing and ridiculing others as 'little Englanders'. I find that mentality childish, unpatriotic and ungrateful. A country that gave you an education, health service and the opportunity to be and go wherever you are.

The EU is a project that I don't believe has worked for the UK. It hasn't for many other countries such as Spain, Greece, Italy etc etc. The UK had the courage and strength to say thank you but we are leaving or we thought so.

I have mentioned many times I like the countries of the EU but not the EU organisation. so yes I believe we are better out. Being forced into staying is not the right way and will only make things worse.

Having the will to say to the EU thanks but we have tried and it hasn't worked. The UK has never really been part of the EU project. We never embraced the EU or would accept the Euro.

Whatever happens the UK will not IMHO be a compliance partner of the EU. No matter how much bias on the media would have people think that the UK voted leave as a protest, with their feet, because of lies,

We are leaving the EU not Europe or then world. Life will go on, trading will go on. People can still go on Holidays. This suicide you mention is melodramatic.

Everyone I know hasn't changed their minds one bit, as I haven't.

9 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Because his grandkids shouldn't have to suffer from Brexit - which is what would happen. To do otherwise is irresponsible.

You just don't get it do you? It's not our generation that's going to suffer, but our grandchildren.

Your ideology that the UK is going to suffer is really bordering farcical.  Do you think that the UK is going to start going around in horse and carts again. The world is huge and the UK wants to do trade with other countries which the EU won't allow.

This constant mantra that 'our grand-kids will suffer', In what way. How? What evidence. So will the USA and Japansee grandchildren suffer. You make it sound apocalyptic. We are just leaving an organisation which like a marriage is very controlling, abusive and dictatorial. So yes we want a divorce and after seeing the behaviour from the EU in these proceedings, the sooner the better.

All Mother Theresa has to do is sit it out.  According to the EU they will give an extension for a couple of months only if the Commons accepts the deal as is next week.  If not, it's all over on April 12.  The deadline of next week means those street protesters with their demands to have a second referendum are pointless - but I'm sure it makes them feel good

18 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

All Mother Theresa has to do is sit it out.  According to the EU they will give an extension for a couple of months only if the Commons accepts the deal as is next week.  If not, it's all over on April 12.  The deadline of next week means those street protesters with their demands to have a second referendum are pointless - but I'm sure it makes them feel good

Not necessarily true. The Eu would give us a further extension to organise another referendum. They would also give us an extension to withdraw Article 50. However, she's just a puppet. Those pulling her strings are determined to have a no deal Brexit. All of May's actions are designed to facilitate this.

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Your ideology that the UK is going to suffer is really bordering farcical.  Do you think that the UK is going to start going around in horse and carts again. The world is huge and the UK wants to do trade with other countries which the EU won't allow.

This constant mantra that 'our grand-kids will suffer', In what way. How? What evidence. So will the USA and Japansee grandchildren suffer. You make it sound apocalyptic. We are just leaving an organisation which like a marriage is very controlling, abusive and dictatorial. So yes we want a divorce and after seeing the behaviour from the EU in these proceedings, the sooner the better.

Let's pick this to bits. At present the UK has deals in place throughout the EU and with 41 other countries outside the EU by virtue of us being in the EU. To state that the EU won't allow trades with other countries is ridiculous and untrue. 

While it could be possible for the UK to agree roll-over deals with countries, that could take time and currently that scenario is not in place according to government reports. As for making new deals, using the US as an example, just to agree a deal takes a minimum of one year, and a further year for it to be implemented. So while the UK  - a smaller market population - wants to make deals, it cannot just do it, and in the meantime there will be shortages in the supermarkets, pharmacies, and high street shops.

The rollover damaging effect on the UK economy would not be beneficial across most industries, and added to that is a cost increase in imported goods and a further devaluation of the pound. I can forecast job losses, Kent being a massive car-park, and people unable to obtain ready medicinal help. The cost of all this would be borne by our children and grandchildren, and that is a Britain I cannot support. 

That is a summary of the cost of having a divorce from the EU, and I would expect them for looking after their interests, which as we're leaving is our choice, not theirs. The blame, if there is to be a blame, rests solely on the UK, something you  - and other Brexiteers - do not seem to accept.

As for democracy, it is just as important to hear the voice of the 48% as that of the 52%, something else that Brexiteers don't accept.

As for democracy, it is just as important to hear the voice of the 48% as that of the 52%, something else that Brexiteers don't accept.

We constantly hear the screaming, shouting, abusive language and ridicule from the 48% believe me. The referendum was a voice. people spoke. It was a simple choice leave or remain. if remain had won I assume you would be happy that the leavers demanded that we leave the EU. Some side has to win. That is what happens in elections and referendums. it is that hearing the voice of the 48% we are in this mess. nothing is getting finalised or completed because the remain will nit accept the result.

Let's pick this to bits. At present the UK has deals in place throughout the EU and with 41 other countries outside the EU by virtue of us being in the EU. To state that the EU won't allow trades with other countries is ridiculous and untrue. 

.We are not allowed to finalise a deal as we are still in the EU so what you are saying is not true. Deals whilst in the EU are under EU regulations and conditions, favouring the EU. That's why its one of the reasons we want out.

Even the BBC acknowledge that.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36684876

That is a summary of the cost of having a divorce from the EU, and I would expect them for looking after their interests, which as we're leaving is our choice, not theirs. The blame, if there is to be a blame, rests solely on the UK, something you  - and other Brexiteers - do not seem to accept.

Personally I would give no 39 billion pound and would demand a rebate for all the money, buildings, infrastructure that we have contributed too. We just need a decent divorce lawyer and not one who rolls over and gives everything away, like TM. lets hope she is toast by next week. ????

As for blame I put it down to the self serving politicians and the public who will not accept a democratic vote with the constant trying to frustrate, stop and justify why it shouldn't take place.

2 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

We constantly hear the screaming, shouting, abusive language and ridicule from the 48% believe me. The referendum was a voice. people spoke. It was a simple choice leave or remain. if remain had won I assume you would be happy that the leavers demanded that we leave the EU. Some side has to win. That is what happens in elections and referendums. it is that hearing the voice of the 48% we are in this mess. nothing is getting finalised or completed because the remain will nit accept the result.

.We are not allowed to finalise a deal as we are still in the EU so what you are saying is not true. Deals whilst in the EU are under EU regulations and conditions, favouring the EU. That's why its one of the reasons we want out.

Personally I would give no 39 billion pound and would demand a rebate for all the money, buildings, infrastructure that we have contributed too. We just need a decent divorce lawyer and not one who rolls over and gives everything away, like TM. lets hope she is toast by next week. ????

As for blame I put it down to the self serving politicians and the public who will not accept a democratic vote with the constant trying to frustrate, stop and justify why it shouldn't take place.

"We just need a decent divorce lawyer".........thanks that was really funny, I understand why you chose the Laughing Gravy name. Maybe May should have chosen a remainer to do the job since the Leavers made such a bad job of it. It's OK I realize you can't really imagine it would be that simple, 40 plus years of law to unravel, you can't just walk away from laws. 

The question about democracy is what kind of democracy is it. If it is a "Winner takes all" type then your arguments would hold a bit more water. What we do have is a representative democracy. Our MPs are supposed to represent ALL their constituents. Of course the largest party gets the bulk of the power, but there are checks and balances, the winning party doesn't take all the seats in parliament. The tide has turned, under 40% now want a no deal Brexit.  

3 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

The question about democracy is what kind of democracy is it. If it is a "Winner takes all" type then your arguments would hold a bit more water.

That is what the referendum result was or at least we were all told. Leave meant that the peoples voice and decision would be implemented. Clearly it hasn't.

12 hours ago, vogie said:

You obviously don't accept democracy because you are trying to overturn it, but well done to you for using the phrase "you lot" Our citizens who have voted in a democratic referendum and have won by 1.4 million votes have been reduced to "You lot" And we wonder why there is division in our country.

But this is it, we have become two tribes - we use the same words, but we mean different things by them. The way brexit has been played, by TM and the right wing press in particular, has been to pit brit against brit. We call you lot stupid, you call us traitors and remoners. 

This has resulted in both sides taking entrenched positions, all ground for compromised and civil discussion has been lost. It's very hard for either group to see things from the others point of view. 

People now regard themselves more strongly as either Leave or remain than as Labour or Conservative. 

This will be Brexit legacy, a fractured and dysfunctioning nation 

7 minutes ago, tebee said:

But this is it, we have become two tribes - we use the same words, but we mean different things by them. The way brexit has been played, by TM and the right wing press in particular, has been to pit brit against brit. We call you lot stupid, you call us traitors and remoners. 

This has resulted in both sides taking entrenched positions, all ground for compromised and civil discussion has been lost. It's very hard for either group to see things from the others point of view. 

People now regard themselves more strongly as either Leave or remain than as Labour or Conservative. 

The electorate has proved in the past to have very short memories. Within days of withdrawing Article 50 we'll all be friends again and we can move on to "will England qualify for the Euros?" I've heard that it's already become the No:1 topic in Spoonies.

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

If you're going to respond to me, please quote my complete post, not cherry-pick it. 

5 minutes ago, tebee said:

I hear what you are saying tebee, but I'm beginning to wonder if there is a Brexit compromise. We voted to leave the EU and anything less is not leaving, what ever we agree with the EU, we will be locked into the EU for the rest of our existance, with no say on anything and having to obey their rules, laws and regulations, that is not what we voted for.

The halfway house is no good for leavers, nor should I imagine for remainers. The only thing that would make you happy is to remain, just as the only thing that would make leavers happy would be a clean break. Should it be possible to leave with an deal that would not tie us in any way to the EU would be very nice, but I just can't see it. Would you be happy with a halfway house deal?

Brexit options in a nutshell. Not mine, credit to somebody called Nigel Brown and possibly not even his own work, but too good not to post….

1/Revoke Article 50.
This is the one to go for if you despise the working class and think they should never have been allowed to vote in the first place. Ideal if you live in a three million pound house in London and are called Jeremy, Jacinda or Gerald. It also works for you if you think Magna Carta was a terrible idea and 800 years of extending political rights and enfranchisement needs to be reversed as quickly as possible.

2/A People’s Vote/2nd referendum
Quite a few Jeremy’s are keen on this one too. This is the one to go for if you despise the working class and think they should never have been allowed to vote in the first place. It differs from the revoke option because it pretends to be democratic. But it’s still saying that everyone who voted Leave is a non person whose vote should be totally ignored.

3/May’s Deal
If you have been scratching your head and wondering how on earth can we retain all EU control over Britain and even extend it whilst pretending to honour the 2016 vote this is the one for you. It’s a great option if you would like to know what it felt like for Indians during the Raj, or get sexually aroused by the idea of dominant Belgians being able to do whatever they want to you for at least two years.

4/Custom’s Union
This is Labour’s Plan. We ‘Leave’ the EU. Then we put in place exactly the same trade relationship with all of exactly the same rules as being in the EU. Nobody will notice the switch or that Brexit is not actually delivered. This is the one to go for if you’ve always been fascinated by that game with three cups or three cards. You know, can you find the pea or the Queen? Street hustlers and grifters love this one, and it’s also the one to go for if you have a gambling addiction or are just terrified of change. Canaries that fly back into cages all recommend this option.

5/Canada Plus.
This is the one that was fully drafted by the government department actually set up to draft a deal, that the EU had said they would agree to, and that actually delivers both a deal and a real Brexit. So of course this is the one that the Civil Service torpedoed and that nobody talks about.

6/ No Deal
This is the one where even the name is a lie. It actually means WTO rules, which are wide ranging and sensible and designed to facilitate trade. It also means instead of one big deal with nasty compromises, lots of little sensible deals with no surprises. The stuff that keeps planes flying. The stuff that makes all the Apocalyptic Visions of Doom ridiculous. But if you think Mad Max is a documentary on life in Australia this is the one to be terrified of.
‘No Deal’ also includes the option of an agreement under the WTO to enter trade negotiations for up to 10 years with zero tariffs during all that time. That’s right. All the stockpiling food and talk about cancer medicines is retarded horseshit.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

16 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Brexit options in a nutshell. Not mine, credit to somebody called Nigel Brown and possibly not even his own work, but too good not to post….

1/Revoke Article 50.
This is the one to go for if you despise the working class and think they should never have been allowed to vote in the first place. Ideal if you live in a three million pound house in London and are called Jeremy, Jacinda or Gerald. It also works for you if you think Magna Carta was a terrible idea and 800 years of extending political rights and enfranchisement needs to be reversed as quickly as possible.

2/A People’s Vote/2nd referendum
Quite a few Jeremy’s are keen on this one too. This is the one to go for if you despise the working class and think they should never have been allowed to vote in the first place. It differs from the revoke option because it pretends to be democratic. But it’s still saying that everyone who voted Leave is a non person whose vote should be totally ignored.

3/May’s Deal
If you have been scratching your head and wondering how on earth can we retain all EU control over Britain and even extend it whilst pretending to honour the 2016 vote this is the one for you. It’s a great option if you would like to know what it felt like for Indians during the Raj, or get sexually aroused by the idea of dominant Belgians being able to do whatever they want to you for at least two years.

4/Custom’s Union
This is Labour’s Plan. We ‘Leave’ the EU. Then we put in place exactly the same trade relationship with all of exactly the same rules as being in the EU. Nobody will notice the switch or that Brexit is not actually delivered. This is the one to go for if you’ve always been fascinated by that game with three cups or three cards. You know, can you find the pea or the Queen? Street hustlers and grifters love this one, and it’s also the one to go for if you have a gambling addiction or are just terrified of change. Canaries that fly back into cages all recommend this option.

5/Canada Plus.
This is the one that was fully drafted by the government department actually set up to draft a deal, that the EU had said they would agree to, and that actually delivers both a deal and a real Brexit. So of course this is the one that the Civil Service torpedoed and that nobody talks about.

6/ No Deal
This is the one where even the name is a lie. It actually means WTO rules, which are wide ranging and sensible and designed to facilitate trade. It also means instead of one big deal with nasty compromises, lots of little sensible deals with no surprises. The stuff that keeps planes flying. The stuff that makes all the Apocalyptic Visions of Doom ridiculous. But if you think Mad Max is a documentary on life in Australia this is the one to be terrified of.
‘No Deal’ also includes the option of an agreement under the WTO to enter trade negotiations for up to 10 years with zero tariffs during all that time. That’s right. All the stockpiling food and talk about cancer medicines is retarded horseshit.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

https://www.freemasonrytoday.com/ugle-sgc/ugle/grand-secretary-interview-with-nigel-brown

He sounds a right pratt. Very pro the working man. Glad you could work "The Lodge" into the thread somewhere.

First it was "Tommy Islam this" and "Tommy Islam that", now it's all about the Lodge. I'm beginning to join the dots up.

Archived