Reporting requirement for Thai Wife ?

My Thai Wife and myself are now living in a rented condo (I am the tenant) in Pattaya. We moved here from Switzerland.

I am correctly reported with TM30 by the Landlord. My wife is registered in the Tabien Baan of her family in another province. Her ID card shows this adress.

Is there any reporting requirement for my wife now since she is permanently living with me in Pattaya ? She does not think so, but I suspect this may be because a possible requirement is not enforced for Thai citizens and it is simply not done by the majority. Just a guess.

May it even be that I am missing something here as the tenant of the condo or is the landlord missing something ?

I am asking primarily because of reports here on TV that people got even arrested for non compliance of reporting (regardless of being Thai or a foreigner). We just want to do it right, but this requires to know what is necessary. Usually only adress reporting of foreigners is discussed here, that is why there is a knowledge gap.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Is there any reporting requirement for my wife now since she is permanently living with me in Pattaya ?

No. She’s Thai and has no need to report to immigration.

Technically she should register the address — she actually lives at — at the local Amphoe, but that has nothing to do with immigration address reporting.

Edited by elviajero
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Technically she should register the address — she actually lives at — at the local Amphoe, but that has nothing to do with immigration address reporting.

Thanks. What do you mean if you say "technically she should" ? I mean if she does not register at the ampoe may she have a problem ? Ubonjoe seems to suggest that this is not the case.

I was not referring to immigration in the first place.

10 minutes ago, elviajero said:

But there is no way for a Thai to register unless somebody that is the head of household in a house book allows it.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. What do you mean if you say "technically she should" ? I mean if she does not register at the ampoe may she have a problem ? Ubonjoe seems to suggest that this is not the case.

I was not referring to immigration in the first place.
If she has a kid and want to enroll her in school, the kid may have to be registered. My daughter was born in Bangkok and registered in GF's condo in Bangkok when enrolled in Bangkok pre-school. After she moved to Sisaket, she registered in her granmom's house and then this year she registered in my GF' house because she is moving to Pattaya.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

In my case we will move to new house end of April not long before marriage registration. Know she and I have to file forms for my address change. She already has new blue book for new house address, but government ID has her current address in Chiangmai. If we move in together first while processing paperwork for marriage registration, when I change my address for immigration will she have to go through process of writing a rental lease?

Edited by Danthai
Typos

13 minutes ago, Danthai said:

If we move in together first while processing paperwork for marriage registration, when I change my address for immigration will she have to go through process of writing a rental lease?

She can write a statement that you are living with her and attach a copy of her house book and ID card to it.

She should get a new ID card to show her new address on it. 

3 hours ago, moogradod said:

My Thai Wife and myself are now living in a rented condo (I am the tenant) in Pattaya. We moved here from Switzerland.

I am correctly reported with TM30 by the Landlord. My wife is registered in the Tabien Baan of her family in another province. Her ID card shows this adress.

There isn't an issue with your wife living at an alternative address to where she's registered.

However she is only entitled to any free or subsidised government services in the Province where she is registered.

If she required government hospital treatment, in Pattaya she would have to pay full costs.

In the Province where she is registered as living, she'd receive treatment under the 'universal health scheme'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually the law says that she has to be registered at this address within 15 days. She, as well as the house master can be fined according to this law if it's not done.

But this law is not enforced, so nobody really cares.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Plus, I think she is expected to vote in elections in her home province. It is really just a matter of convenience where she registers her home address.

That changed several years ago. They can register to vote out of district. That voting was done last Sunday the 17th for the elections tomorrow. For wife did it then to avoid the 85 km trip up to the village tomorrow.

That changed several years ago. They can register to vote out of district. That voting was done last Sunday the 17th for the elections tomorrow. For wife did it then to avoid the 85 km trip up to the village tomorrow.
Correct. My GF is voting (or voted not sure) in Pattaya though she is registered in Bangkok.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is because it is almost unenforceable. They should change that long outdated requirement in the act. 

Would actually be relatively easy to get people to do it (and would make sense to do it, so the money could be distributed according to the actual number of people living there), they would just have to limit the government services. If for example they changed the rules so that to register a vehicle, tax a vehicle, get a driving license, get a new id card, get a passport, you have to go to the office in the province where you are registered, then it would be quite unconvenient to not change it.

Edited by jackdd

11 hours ago, jackdd said:

Would actually be relatively easy to get people to do it (and would make sense to do it, so the money could be distributed according to the actual number of people living there), they would just have to limit the government services.

I don't think you understand how hard it is to change a house book registry.

The biggest problem is finding somebody that is the head of household to allow the registry where a person is actually living.

Do you think a apartment building owner would allow every resident to change to their house book?

Just now, ubonjoe said:

I don't think you understand how hard it is to change a house book registry.

The biggest problem is finding somebody that is the head of household to allow the registry where a person is actually living.

Do you think a apartment building owner to would allow every resident to change to their house book?

If the law were enforced and the appartment owner fined for not doing it (if a tenant reports him), i'm sure he would be willing to follow the law.

18 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If the law were enforced and the appartment owner fined for not doing it (if a tenant reports him), i'm sure he would be willing to follow the law.

It's the tenant that would have to do all the running around and changing ID cards etc.

It's they that don't want to do it.

On 3/23/2019 at 7:17 AM, elviajero said:

only if she wants to use local hospital etc. many many Thai's live elsewhere to house book registration why do the government allow an additional day of voting for these people

24 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I wrote apartment building owner in my example which would not be the same as the owner of an individual apartment (more than likely a condo not an apartment). A building owner might not even be an individual but a company or business. Do you think it would be possible for everybody living in a large apartment building to be registered in one house book.

I still think you really have no idea of how it really works with house book registries and etc.

17 hours ago, Benroon said:

When I got my yellow book with the address as my father in laws house, the guy at the amphoe handling it all said I no longer needed to inform the authorities when I moved! He was the deputy head honcho not an office lackey.

I pointed out to him I lived 5 hours away and it wasn’t a massive hassle anyway but he reiterated there was no need anymore.

I think I still will

BTW - the better half is of the opinion that the yellow book helps to grease the wheels at extension time - anything of substance behind that ? 

you still need to conform to immigration rules re address reporting tm30, tm28, tm47 etc.

some driving licence government offices do not accept the yellow house book or the pink id card,

a lot of work to obtain with very limited use, other than to think you are part of the Thai system

17 hours ago, Benroon said:

BTW - the better half is of the opinion that the yellow book helps to grease the wheels at extension time - anything of substance behind that ? 

Not really.

TI still need your Passport as ID and a copy of the housemasters TB and ID card.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I wrote apartment building owner in my example which would not be the same as the owner of an individual apartment (more than likely a condo not an apartment). A building owner might not even be an individual but a company or business. Do you think it would be possible for everybody living in a large apartment building to be registered in one house book.

A company or business has a manager, then this will be part of his job.

I'm aware that the pages in a house book are limited, but it should be possible to make house books with more pages to be able to register everybody.

In the future Thailand will probably get rid of the house books as document anyway, and just keep the record in their computer.

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

A company or business has a manager, then this will be part of his job.

I'm aware that the pages in a house book are limited, but it should be possible to make house books with more pages to be able to register everybody.

In the future Thailand will probably get rid of the house books as document anyway, and just keep the record in their computer.

The manager won't even be on the book.

He doesn't have the authority to add/remove tenants off the book.

The Amphur would only deal with the 'housemaster' registered in the book.

The tenant may have to travel 600kms back to his village where he's registered to be removed from that house book, then return journey 600K back to register in another book and only with the owners permission.

3 months later they get another job and move again.

A Thai can only be registered in one book for population census purposes.

Nobody is checking where they actually live.

21 hours ago, jackdd said:

Actually the law says that she has to be registered at this address within 15 days. She, as well as the house master can be fined according to this law if it's not done.

But this law is not enforced, so nobody really cares.

The law only applies to house owners who are permanently moving residence, not tenants, that's voluntary.

If an owner sells his property because he's purchased and moving to a new property, they have 15 days to remove themselves from the old house book and re-register on the new house book. The old house book is handed to the purchaser of their old property so they can now register in that book if they so wish.

The book belongs to the property, not the owner.

9 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The manager won't even be on the book.

He doesn't have the authority to add/remove tenants off the book.

The Amphur would only deal with the 'housemaster' registered in the book.

If the manager manages the tenants then he should obviously be the house master in the house book and then he can add/remove them

9 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The tenant may have to travel 600kms back to his village where he's registered to be removed from that house book, then return journey 600K back to register in another book and only with the owners permission.

He doesn't have to travel back to do this. How do to it without going back is explained here (in Thai, last section): http://www.bora.dopa.go.th/CallCenter1548/index.php/menu-population/13-service-handbook/population/26-population-relocation

10 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Nobody is checking where they actually live.

Yes, i said on page 1 already that this law is not enforced. This discussion just started because Ubonjoe said this law is "almost unenforceable", with which i disagree.