BANGKOK 19 April 2019 00:02
moogradod

Reporting requirement for Thai Wife ?

My Thai Wife and myself are now living in a rented condo (I am the tenant) in Pattaya. We moved here from Switzerland.

I am correctly reported with TM30 by the Landlord. My wife is registered in the Tabien Baan of her family in another province. Her ID card shows this adress.

Is there any reporting requirement for my wife now since she is permanently living with me in Pattaya ? She does not think so, but I suspect this may be because a possible requirement is not enforced for Thai citizens and it is simply not done by the majority. Just a guess.

May it even be that I am missing something here as the tenant of the condo or is the landlord missing something ?

I am asking primarily because of reports here on TV that people got even arrested for non compliance of reporting (regardless of being Thai or a foreigner). We just want to do it right, but this requires to know what is necessary. Usually only adress reporting of foreigners is discussed here, that is why there is a knowledge gap.

• Like 1

Thai's do not have to do any reporting of any kind if they are not living where their house book registry is for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Is there any reporting requirement for my wife now since she is permanently living with me in Pattaya ?

No. She’s Thai and has no need to report to immigration.

Technically she should register the address — she actually lives at — at the local Amphoe, but that has nothing to do with immigration address reporting.

Edited by elviajero
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, elviajero said:

No. She’s Thai and has no need to report to immigration.

Technically she should register the address — she actually lives at — at the local Amphoe, but that has nothing to do with immigration address reporting.

Thanks. What do you mean if you say "technically she should" ? I mean if she does not register at the ampoe may she have a problem ? Ubonjoe seems to suggest that this is not the case.

I was not referring to immigration in the first place.

10 minutes ago, elviajero said:

But there is no way for a Thai to register unless somebody that is the head of household in a house book allows it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, moogradod said:

I mean if she does not register at the ampoe may she have a problem ?

No

See my previous post.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No

See my previous post.

Great. Thanks. This is what matters.

Have a nice weekend !

Thanks. What do you mean if you say "technically she should" ? I mean if she does not register at the ampoe may she have a problem ? Ubonjoe seems to suggest that this is not the case.

I was not referring to immigration in the first place.
If she has a kid and want to enroll her in school, the kid may have to be registered. My daughter was born in Bangkok and registered in GF's condo in Bangkok when enrolled in Bangkok pre-school. After she moved to Sisaket, she registered in her granmom's house and then this year she registered in my GF' house because she is moving to Pattaya.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Posted (edited)

In my case we will move to new house end of April not long before marriage registration. Know she and I have to file forms for my address change. She already has new blue book for new house address, but government ID has her current address in Chiangmai. If we move in together first while processing paperwork for marriage registration, when I change my address for immigration will she have to go through process of writing a rental lease?

Edited by Danthai
Typos

13 minutes ago, Danthai said:

If we move in together first while processing paperwork for marriage registration, when I change my address for immigration will she have to go through process of writing a rental lease?

She can write a statement that you are living with her and attach a copy of her house book and ID card to it.

She should get a new ID card to show her new address on it. 

3 hours ago, moogradod said:

My Thai Wife and myself are now living in a rented condo (I am the tenant) in Pattaya. We moved here from Switzerland.

I am correctly reported with TM30 by the Landlord. My wife is registered in the Tabien Baan of her family in another province. Her ID card shows this adress.

There isn't an issue with your wife living at an alternative address to where she's registered.

However she is only entitled to any free or subsidised government services in the Province where she is registered.

If she required government hospital treatment, in Pattaya she would have to pay full costs.

In the Province where she is registered as living, she'd receive treatment under the 'universal health scheme'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My GF changed the hospital she is registered with using a rental contract in her name

Plus, I think she is expected to vote in elections in her home province. It is really just a matter of convenience where she registers her home address.

Posted (edited)

Actually the law says that she has to be registered at this address within 15 days. She, as well as the house master can be fined according to this law if it's not done.

But this law is not enforced, so nobody really cares.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2