Jump to content
BANGKOK 19 April 2019 00:12
rooster59

At the ballot box

Recommended Posts

Maybe after election day, we can go talk about politics again without herculean amounts of self-restraint.

 

 

Just kidding, I know that's over.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, canuckamuck said:

Maybe after election day, we can go talk about politics again without herculean amounts of self-restraint.

 

 

Just kidding, I know that's over.

Reminds me of the old joke - "what does a soldier with an AK47 and an election voter got in common ? ".     They can both be found pointing to the same ballot box.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just as interesting maybe a nice flow chart of what happens to the ballot box after the vote and who is doing the counting🤔 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife is convinced that you can only vote in the area where you are in the bluebook, so unless all the bargirls, hotel staff and condo builders are driving back to issan (or wherever home is) they wont be voting.

I doubt this is true but I wonder how many will think the same and not even attempt to vote.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Unless you aplied to vote early (last Sunday) your wife is correct.   However you must remember that millions of Thais,  especially from Issan are poor and have no other option then to work away.  Not just in other parts of Thailand but overseas such as Korea and Israel to name only two.

 

It seems crazy to many that you must vote only where you are registered in the blue book.   But consider successive governments for decades have conspired to disenfanchise millions of voters by upholding this system.  The logic is that these people are generally amongst the poorest so a) can not afford to return to their homes to vote and b) they are treated in absolute contempt by the ruling elite and the military and their backers to ensure that any socially minded party never becomes popular.   This ensures the snouts at the trough still can remain at the trough.

 

Goodness gracious just imagine if there ever was a socially minded government in Thailand leading to higher education systems, a fair and open judicial system and a firm clampdown on corruption - why it could become a wonderful place devoid of political snakes, corrupt military, free of human rights abuses,   and a privileged class whom can currently act above the law with apparent impunity.  

Wow, thats like 90% of the Thai population, I dont think I have met a Thai that actually lives at the blue book address. My wife, 3 sisters and 1 brother are all in mums blue book but none of them live there, they are scattered all over Thailand. Thats 5 people that wont be voteing.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

My wife is convinced that you can only vote in the area where you are in the bluebook, so unless all the bargirls, hotel staff and condo builders are driving back to issan (or wherever home is) they wont be voting.

I doubt this is true but I wonder how many will think the same and not even attempt to vote.

Sorry thats wrong it used to be like that, my wife's blue book in BKK she apply to vote here in Phuket 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

Sorry thats wrong it used to be like that, my wife's blue book in BKK she apply to vote here in Phuket 

Yes, that appears to be the case, not sure how much of it is the wife not going to register last weekend (and now its to late), she claims she was unaware but I imagine it was advertised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

My wife is convinced that you can only vote in the area where you are in the bluebook,

Under "who is eligible" in the info at the top of the page it states "Households registered in the constituency for at least 90 days before election date".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Under "who is eligible" in the info at the top of the page it states "Households registered in the constituency for at least 90 days before election date".

I couldn't quiet understand that statement, does that mean you had to go and have the household registered 3 months ago, does a bluebook mean automatic registration ? It still doesn't appear to help someone who lives in Phuket but is in a bluebook in Chiang Mai, they still had to do a personal registration in Phuket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, that appears to be the case, not sure how much of it is the wife not going to register last weekend (and now its to late), she claims she was unaware but I imagine it was advertised.

As most of the live-away Thais will originally be from Isaan, that's probably the reason for the lack of publicity! Not many of these will be voting the way the Government would like. However I did drive to the polling area in Phuket last weekend with a family member and it was very busy. Apparently 50,000 voted here (though that could be a drop in the ocean when taking into account the number of out-of-state workers in Phuket)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...