At the ballot box

rooster59

1 minute ago, canuckamuck said:

Maybe after election day, we can go talk about politics again without herculean amounts of self-restraint.

Just kidding, I know that's over.

Reminds me of the old joke - "what does a soldier with an AK47 and an election voter got in common ? ".     They can both be found pointing to the same ballot box.

8 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Just as interesting maybe a nice flow chart of what happens to the ballot box after the vote and who is doing the counting???? 

Oh no hurry there - there are two months to work out who won the most votes - sorry, I meant who gets the seat.

My wife is convinced that you can only vote in the area where you are in the bluebook, so unless all the bargirls, hotel staff and condo builders are driving back to issan (or wherever home is) they wont be voting.

I doubt this is true but I wonder how many will think the same and not even attempt to vote.

13 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

My wife is convinced that you can only vote in the area where you are in the bluebook, so unless all the bargirls, hotel staff and condo builders are driving back to issan (or wherever home is) they wont be voting.

I doubt this is true but I wonder how many will think the same and not even attempt to vote.

Unless you aplied to vote early (last Sunday) your wife is correct.   However you must remember that millions of Thais,  especially from Issan are poor and have no other option then to work away.  Not just in other parts of Thailand but overseas such as Korea and Israel to name only two.

It seems crazy to many that you must vote only where you are registered in the blue book.   But consider successive governments for decades have conspired to disenfanchise millions of voters by upholding this system.  The logic is that these people are generally amongst the poorest so a) can not afford to return to their homes to vote and b) they are treated in absolute contempt by the ruling elite and the military and their backers to ensure that any socially minded party never becomes popular.   This ensures the snouts at the trough still can remain at the trough.

Goodness gracious just imagine if there ever was a socially minded government in Thailand leading to higher education systems, a fair and open judicial system and a firm clampdown on corruption - why it could become a wonderful place devoid of political snakes, corrupt military, free of human rights abuses,   and a privileged class whom can currently act above the law with apparent impunity.  

I am interested why this "at the ballot box" document even exists in English, only Thais can vote, or foreigners who have become Thai citizens after showing a knowledge of Thai language etc. Maybe its for the benefit of foreign media, look we are having a real election, lol

11 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Unless you aplied to vote early (last Sunday) your wife is correct.   However you must remember that millions of Thais,  especially from Issan are poor and have no other option then to work away.  Not just in other parts of Thailand but overseas such as Korea and Israel to name only two.

It seems crazy to many that you must vote only where you are registered in the blue book.   But consider successive governments for decades have conspired to disenfanchise millions of voters by upholding this system.  The logic is that these people are generally amongst the poorest so a) can not afford to return to their homes to vote and b) they are treated in absolute contempt by the ruling elite and the military and their backers to ensure that any socially minded party never becomes popular.   This ensures the snouts at the trough still can remain at the trough.

Goodness gracious just imagine if there ever was a socially minded government in Thailand leading to higher education systems, a fair and open judicial system and a firm clampdown on corruption - why it could become a wonderful place devoid of political snakes, corrupt military, free of human rights abuses,   and a privileged class whom can currently act above the law with apparent impunity.  

Wow, thats like 90% of the Thai population, I dont think I have met a Thai that actually lives at the blue book address. My wife, 3 sisters and 1 brother are all in mums blue book but none of them live there, they are scattered all over Thailand. Thats 5 people that wont be voteing.

25 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Sorry thats wrong it used to be like that, my wife's blue book in BKK she apply to vote here in Phuket 

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

Sorry thats wrong it used to be like that, my wife's blue book in BKK she apply to vote here in Phuket 

Yes, that appears to be the case, not sure how much of it is the wife not going to register last weekend (and now its to late), she claims she was unaware but I imagine it was advertised.

58 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

My wife is convinced that you can only vote in the area where you are in the bluebook,

Under "who is eligible" in the info at the top of the page it states "Households registered in the constituency for at least 90 days before election date".

40 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Under "who is eligible" in the info at the top of the page it states "Households registered in the constituency for at least 90 days before election date".

I couldn't quiet understand that statement, does that mean you had to go and have the household registered 3 months ago, does a bluebook mean automatic registration ? It still doesn't appear to help someone who lives in Phuket but is in a bluebook in Chiang Mai, they still had to do a personal registration in Phuket.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, that appears to be the case, not sure how much of it is the wife not going to register last weekend (and now its to late), she claims she was unaware but I imagine it was advertised.

As most of the live-away Thais will originally be from Isaan, that's probably the reason for the lack of publicity! Not many of these will be voting the way the Government would like. However I did drive to the polling area in Phuket last weekend with a family member and it was very busy. Apparently 50,000 voted here (though that could be a drop in the ocean when taking into account the number of out-of-state workers in Phuket)

16 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

3td from left, under Those Not Eligible...eliminates most of the electorate. :coffee1:

I know of several people, here in Pattaya, who have travelled back to Issan to vote.

My wife's blue book, driving licence and ID are all registered in Chonburi so she is convinced that she can vote here. We shall see.

On 3/23/2019 at 8:09 AM, Peterw42 said:

It's true. My wife is going to where she is registered in her bluebook to vote.  This was told to her by the Pu Yai Baan of the village we live in. 

I have just spent 15 minutes checking out Facebook posts on several Bangkok middle-class acquaintances. It's a good snapshot of how that demographic is going to vote.

And sorry Guys, it's rock solid for Uncle Tu.

58 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I know of several people, here in Pattaya, who have travelled back to Issan to vote.

My wife's blue book, driving licence and ID are all registered in Chonburi so she is convinced that she can vote here. We shall see.

LOL while I get ya...was actually talking about this one! :vampire:

Screenshot_20190324-084934_crop_312x381.jpg.a23e7e4a00d8d71698fa21a3cd72cfca.jpg

On 3/23/2019 at 8:24 AM, Peterw42 said:

I am interested why this "at the ballot box" document even exists in English, only Thais can vote, or foreigners who have become Thai citizens after showing a knowledge of Thai language etc. Maybe its for the benefit of foreign media, look we are having a real election, lol

Interesting observation, Why? 

11 hours ago, jayboy said:

I have just spent 15 minutes checking out Facebook posts on several Bangkok middle-class acquaintances. It's a good snapshot of how that demographic is going to vote.

And sorry Guys, it's rock solid for Uncle Tu.

I told ya.

On 3/23/2019 at 8:24 AM, Peterw42 said:

Or just maybe it is so married farang/Thai couples can talk clearly about the families choices represented by one members vote for all of them.

Archived