24-hour alcohol ban for election

rooster59

24-hour alcohol ban for election

By The Nation

d1274dfe29819edfc71a164df30de666.jpeg

Thais go to the polls on Sunday for the first time since 2011, which also means there will be a 24-hour alcohol ban this weekend.

Alcohol sales and distribution will be forbidden from 6pm on Saturday to 6pm on Sunday.

Officials say weddings, parties and other celebrations can still be organised for these dates but there must be no alcohol served or consumed.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30366322

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-23

Why ban tourists or ex-pats from drinking?

Ok, people could stock up and consume in private, but surely a ban is not nessesary, is it?

I would not be surprised if social dating sites are red hot during the 24 hour ban, with individuals such as bar girls etc... trying to make up for lose of potential earnings.

With today's technology, voting is possible on-line.

Officials say weddings, parties and other celebrations can still be organised for these dates but there must be no alcohol served or consumed

Why is this the case? It's effectively stating that nobody is allowed to drink for 24 hours. 

A party isn't selling alcohol it's giving it away for free, same with some weddings. 

3 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

I've got a licensed bar in my house and I've got a big party organised tomorrow. The gates at the front will be locked but could I still be prosecuted??

Off topic whats the purpose of having to have a licence for a bar in a house

3 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Officials say weddings, parties and other celebrations can still be organised for these dates but there must be no alcohol served or consumed

Why is this the case? It's effectively stating that nobody is allowed to drink for 24 hours. 

A party isn't selling alcohol it's giving it away for free, same with some weddings. 

This is a new thing, never seen them say that alcohol cannot be consumed and it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible to enforce!!!!!

We residents can and have made preparations, but tourists don’t have this flexibility. They will think what a backward and unwelcoming country for holiday makers. Typical Thai legislative inflexibility.

Other countries can trust their citizens to exercise their rights to vote without banning alcohol, is this really Thailand 4.0 or Thailand 1899?

4 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

I've got a licensed bar in my house and I've got a big party organised tomorrow. The gates at the front will be locked but could I still be prosecuted??

I think you might be on a bit of a Sticky Wicket, with that.

13 minutes ago, alien365 said:

Most of my local restaurants have said they're closing tonight due to the ban so well done the government on costing people their living. I, like many, have already prepared and bought a few of these bad boys.

IMG_20190320_213834.jpg

Not seen that one before.  Like the Snowy Weizen, so will look out for it.  Cheers ???? 

45 minutes ago, Netease said:

Off topic whats the purpose of having to have a licence for a bar in a house

One can only presume that :

1. You don’t actually live here?

2. You don’t quite understand the licensing laws 

3. You don’t understand the sarcasm / wit on this truly fabulous forum.

4. Actually you are quite clever and this a double whammy sarcastic post. ( doubtful)

I am off to an Aussie BBQ on Sunday ( true) it’s going to be fun. 

Because of the election the Aussies have promised only to serve home made lemonade ( true) but it might have a bit of a kick .

4 minutes ago, Samuel Smith said:

Not seen that one before.  Like the Snowy Weizen, so will look out for it.  Cheers ???? 

I found it in Tesco. It's not as cloudy as snowy but it's got a nice hint of lime which I think works well in this climate. Now if only they sold some Taddy beers here, or a pint of Settle blonde...

Lucky for me it isn't on one of my usual nights out at the local water-hole, personally the sooner this election is over and these clowns move on to perhaps retirement all together, the better we will all be, me thinks ?

5 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

I have been told Mixx is open.

If not, and Thermae is closed, bet there will be some street bargains

Just take a stroll down Sukhumvit between soi 13 and 5 and look for the big orange coolers. You can't miss them because they stick out like a sore thumb. 

1 hour ago, alien365 said:

I found it in Tesco. It's not as cloudy as snowy but it's got a nice hint of lime which I think works well in this climate. Now if only they sold some Taddy beers here, or a pint of Settle blonde...

Found one at my local Mom & Pop store (beat the ban).   Nice, liked the lime.  Very refreshing.  I'm a fan of Cheers Extra, & Riceberry, too ???? 

3 minutes ago, Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere said:

Just take a stroll down Sukhumvit between soi 13 and 5 and look for the big orange coolers. You can't miss them because they stick out like a sore thumb. 

Who is looking for coolers?

Archived